Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 22/45 Lite scope base screw question

Boolit Grand Master

22/45 Lite scope base screw question

Hey guys. I have a 22/45 Lite that keeps having one of the base mounting screws back out. I went to tighten it, the the hole is threaded all the way three and contacts the slide rendering the pistol inoperable. Is this normal?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7090.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	196339Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7094.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	196340Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7095.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	196341

Boolit Master
    I'd have to look at mine & check to see. But,, to cure the backing out issue,,, get a piece of 6-8 lb fishing line. Insert it in the hole,, then install the screw. Tighten the screw far enough to secure the base, cut off the excess line on both ends. A quick flame from a lighter will make sure none of the string is inside the action.
    I have used fishing line as a nylon locking material on slightly loose screws for decades. It's not permanent, easy to do, and replaceable.

Boolit Grand Master

Awesome idea. Thanks.

Boolit Master

If the screw protrudes into the action when the base is tightened, I'd shorten the screw the appropriate amount and use the idea above or loctite on the screw. I've never mounted a base on my 22/45 lite. Mine is way dirtier than yours from using a suppressor. Needs a major cleaning

Boolit Master
    They really didn't do a good job designing that one. The screws and the slide aren't a very tight fit so they come loose very very easily. I bought some replacements at the hardware store and ran into the same problem as you. I was pretty unimpressed with the gun as a whole so I stopped shooting it for the most part. It's my least accurate of half a dozen .22 pistols so no big loss.

To answer your question I'd just find a screw that is close to fitting then file it down so there's no interference and then loctite it into place.

Boolit Master

My 22/45 lite is as accurate as my 22/45 bull barrel. No complaints regarding mine. I think mine was among the first iterations with fluted barrel shroud. Maybe once they ramped up production of the lite, the quality dropped.

Boolit Master

My 22/45 Lite is a tack driver but has issues cycling reliably and I have the same issue you have with the sight base coming loose as well. I have some Loctite that I will use when I shoot it next, but frankly, the lack of reliability has me considering getting rid of it in favor of a different semi-auto .22.