PBcastcoInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Really Dirty Brass - New Options

^^^^^^^^^ Great results, Jeff! Keep up that good work!

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Master
    Decap and size brass before cleaning unless its really bad ,don't see the point of cleaning brass then lubing it to size then cleaning again .if my brass is fairly clean I wipe it with white spirit/ mineral spirit after i trim it as its spinning in my drill .

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    The very first brass I got my hands on was 1,000 pieces of once fired LC 5.56. The next stuff was 2,000 pieces of LC 7.62. I don't know how many additional pieces of crimped primer brass I've processed since then, but it's gotta be over 10,000. Never had a ringer. Two of them last weekend, in 40 S&W of all things.

I'm convinced that the water/acid/detergent from wet tumbling with the primers in place causes a mild corrosion between the primer and the pocket and that's why ringers started happening. It's a logical conclusion once you add up the facts.

Lesson learned is always deprime before wet tumbling or soaking.

I bought a Black and Decker Work Station bench to set up a portable depriming station. Just going to take the dirty brass, decap, and drop them straight into the tumbler. Should be problem solved.
    This is it. Never had an issue until I got brass from everglades that was wet cleaned with primers. I've loaded more than I could honestly say but never had an issue with any other brass. It wasn't crimped brass either, all 44, 44 mag, 45 colt. Probably a low seller for him so they had time to sit and corrode. No issues with everglades but I'll never buy wet cleaned brass again with primers still in.

Boolit Master

If the brass is too dirty to decap as is, rinse in soapy water and decap as you pull it out of the water. Do not let it dry before decapping.

Boolit Buddy

I always prep the brass before I tumble , that way you have nice and clean ammo when you are done , in other words cleaning the brass is the last thing I do
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123