Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Contender in 357 Mag

Boolit Bub

Contender in 357 Mag

Please favor me with your thoughts for a really good accurate boolit mould for a 357 Mag 10" bull barreled Contender. Now that I have one I'm hearing horror stories about the long throat.
    Hopelessly afflicted with a life long addiction to the rifled bore!

Two things always make me smile, powder smoke wafting down the firing line and the ring of a Garand clip hitting the ground.

Super Moderator

My 10" Contender shoots everything I feed it very accurately. That is from the Lee 105 up to 200 grainers and quite a few in between. There have been no issues with throat whatsoever. Maybe I got lucky, but it isn't the least bit picky about what I shoot through it.

Boolit Master

Your right about the long throat...had a friend that had a older .357 barrel that was a real
    tack driver...he sent the barrel back to have the newer front sight installed and when it came
    back, it wouldn't shoot worth a damn...they had cut the chamber longer for "safety reasons".
    Might as well have made a jack handle out of it then...It was trashed and never shot again
    with any bullet.
    Denny

Yep, the RCBS silhouette bullets in 180 and 200 with H-110 or 296 with rifle primers like the 205m is a wonderful combination in the 357 single shots. Do not load it like a revolver, push the TC hard. That powder shoots best at the top and bottom of its load levels. The old factory 357 loads all flattened the primers, flat, in a revolver. So the TC will run when hot.
    Ed
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by leadhead View Post
    Your right about the long throat...had a friend that had a older .357 barrel that was a real
    tack driver...he sent the barrel back to have the newer front sight installed and when it came
    back, it wouldn't shoot worth a damn...they had cut the chamber longer for "safety reasons".
    Might as well have made a jack handle out of it then...It was trashed and never shot again
    with any bullet.
    Denny
    I've got a older 10" with the old throat, it shoots the 358156 and the 358429 sized to 360 very well. The 358429 is at its upper limit as it only drops at 360, the old 358156 drops a full 361. I've got a little newer 10" with the long throat and I've never been happy with anything I have tried in it. Plus with the long throat it leads like crazy

Handi rifles in .357 have a long throat also. So long that 4 out of 5 of them from the factory can chamber .360DW brass. Which incidentally works pretty dang well.

You might have to trim to get perfect fit. I would do a chamber cast or pound cast so you can see exactly what you have to work with.

As for bullets, my .357 mag Handi rifle shoots the Lee .358 158 gr round nose in .360DW brass into cloverleafs.

Boolit Master
    I used .357 Maximum brass and only had to trim a little off to get it to work. With the .357 Mag. brass if you seated to get near the lands, the bullet would only be in the case .030.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Quote Originally Posted by N21911S View Post
    Please favor me with your thoughts for a really good accurate boolit mould for a 357 Mag 10" bull barreled Contender. Now that I have one I'm hearing horror stories about the long throat.
    Ignore the stories and shoot it. If it shoots to your satisfaction, good. If not, then start looking for a cure. But first find out if it shoots before you try to fix it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Ignore the stories and shoot it. If it shoots to your satisfaction, good. If not, then start looking for a cure. But first find out if it shoots before you try to fix it.
    Sound advise...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    What Tatume said,,,,,,,,.

Personally, my favorite loading uses a 360-230.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

As stated don't try to fix it if it's not broken. Mine likes all the usual heavies. It also loves an old Ideal full wadcutter with 231 or hp38 powder in .357 cases. Shoots good enough to shoot IHMSA field pistol silhouette.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

I'm a big fan of the Lyman 357627, (or NOE's version, the 360-225SWC) in the 357 mag or Max. It's accurate, and enables you to seat it out pretty far, filling long throats and giving additional powder space in the case.
    I shoot so that I can handload.

Boolit Master
    I have one of the old 10" octagon barrels. It shoots everything I've stuck in it quite well. My favorite was a commercial cast 180 sil bullet. Not sure the exact mold they used but it worked well.

I just got an old Ideal 357 446 mold to try. I've heard this is the worst bullet known to man in the 357 so I figured it would be perfect to try in the TC. If it works, I will be totally satisfied the OLD TC 357 barrel will shoot ANYTHING. Haven't tried it yet though.

Boolit Master
    I have had several 357 barrels for my Contender, super 14, 10 inch bull and the one I kept was an original 10 Octagon.

Reason: it was not "cut" for those stupid shotshells TC thought should have been a hot seller! Actually had a 357 Bull with the screw on choke, what a loser that was.

now for a boolit: try the RCBS 200 grain rifle mold, borrowed one from a bud and made a couple hundred and tried them in the Octagon barrel just for grins, Holy Mackerel Andy!!

Hated the Gas check part of the mold so bought an Accurate 4 bang for the same booklet with out the gas check shoots as good if not better!

I'f go with the other posters and say shoot what you have and see, but my experience is you won't be happy but each barrel is a different story!

HM

Boolit Buddy
    I have no experience with a TC but I had similar thoughts about my Handi Rifle. I head about how long the throat was. So after I stopped worrying about it, I got 2 Lee molds the 158 TL SWC and the GC 158 SWC. Guess what, they both shoot great. The TL is for 38spl loads and the GC is for full on 357 mag loads with lilgun. I would just pick up something and try it out.

Boolit Buddy

The NOE 180 WFN is a GREAT boolit and very accurate in all of my 357's. Now that I think of it, I need to try it in my 20" 357 Bellm Contender Carbine barrel! Thanks for prompting me on that one!!