Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: .22's at more-or-less normal prices

Boolit Master

Regarding smuggling ammo into California: how would anyone know where you bought your ammo unless they saw you, you told them, or they found a receipt?

1. It’s legal to possess in California.
    2. It’s legal to leave the state with your ammo.
    3. Why would it not be legal to return to the state with your previously possessed ammo?

I can’t see a law like that being terribly enforceable or effective at all. I think it’s simply to harass gun owners, and “do something” about guns.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Well , they've all but stopped heroin , crack , and numerous other drugs and illegal activities right ??Since they don't have enough people that want to be criminals they will make some .......

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Just saw Weatherby is leaving California for Wyoming, good for them. I saw bulk 22 for $25 per brick at the big gun show where it’s usually sold at scalpers prices. So sure as heck my local Wal-mart has thunderbolts for $21.67. Plus other bulk 22. No restriction on sales as well. Now if they can get the CCI quiet back for backyard shooting I’ll be very happy!

Boolit Bub
    Ammo around here seems plentiful and priced right.

Boolit Bub
    Which wasn't the case for several years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    That being so , then it won't be long before the California government insists on a border fence around the state so ammo can't be smuggled in .

Wow ! just WOW !!

Jack
    Maybe Trump can get California to pay for his wall.
    California can sit on the Mexico side.

Seems to be holding at about a nickel a round now. I just bought a 500 rd. brick of Federal American Eagle for $24.95. I've been buying a brick every month and putting them away in an ammo can. On my second can now. Most have been Federal Target in the 350 round bricks. Remember how Scarlett O'Hara said in "Gone With The Wind", "I'll never be hungry again...!" Another applicable saying that comes to mind concerning the late, Great .22 Shortage, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." Well, last time wasn't my fault, and next time I'll be stocked up!

Boolit Bub
    There are a few Wal-Marts in the greater Pittsburgh area that have large quantities of bulk .22. I was getting spoiled prior to 12-31 buying Auto Match 325 count boxes for under $15 our the door. I went in shortly after the new year and the price jumped to $18.XX. I shouldn’t complain!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Hmmmm smuggling ammo over lake Tahoe workable? Nah, not worth the hassle, I'm retired.

Kalifornia just made a boom black market.
    Someone will figure out how to do it.
    Drone air drops!

FFLs that buy in large bulk and sell cheaper than the cost of driving to AZ/NV border will do great. I suspect ammo stores and diners on the border will do very well. And private sales across the border. If you buy 1,000 rds from Jimbo in NV and get stopped at the border how do they prove you did not already own it? It is not illegal to buy in NV nor to own in CA. HAve visiting family/friends bring it in. Numerous work arounds. But I am sure the gangs in LA, Oakland and Fresno will quiet down since they have to buy from an FFL now...(sarcasm!)

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Build a tunnel into Kali big enough to run a tractor trailer into

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

I was able to pick up some Federal American Eagle 22 LR ammo at a Academy store for $1.78 a box but there is only 40 per box.
    I never shot them before but at less than .05 a round my grandkids can shoot them up if I don't find any of my 22's that like them.

Jedman

Boolit Mold
    I got Winchester white box 22 lr for $5.00 a brick (500), back in 1973. Bought so many still haven’t shot em all. Cleaner and more consistent than the new stuff. Made in USA.

Boolit Mold
    I shoot 22 lr from the 60s that I bought and payed for. They work fine. I would not buy them then if they were more that 5$ a brick.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    Build a tunnel into Kali big enough to run a tractor trailer into

Jack
    Hire some North Korean refugees with the experience.

As for ammo prices, I see online prices coming down to bulk ammo in the $20-$22 range per brick. But local stores are still in the $35 range. I was happy to pay $35 when they had previously been selling for $50. But I think I'll shoot some of my inventory for a while and wait for local prices to come down to the low $20s. Or wait for free shipping deals to pop up online.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rob55 View Post
    I got Winchester white box 22 lr for $5.00 a brick (500), back in 1973. Bought so many still haven’t shot em all. Cleaner and more consistent than the new stuff. Made in USA.
    I burned through many boxes of Winchester Super-X and Wildcat back in the day. I found a couple of vintage bricks of each way back in the closet a while back. They really bring back memories.

By the way, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics online inflation calculator, $5.00 in 1973 dollars translates as about $29 in 2018 dollars. Considering inflation maybe a $20 brick is a pretty good deal.

I have crates of surplus ammo that I've had for 20 or 30 years. They've increased in value pretty good, but I sure wish I had bought stock instead.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    I burned through many boxes of Winchester Super-X and Wildcat back in the day. I found a couple of vintage bricks of each way back in the closet a while back. They really bring back memories.

By the way, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics online inflation calculator, $5.00 in 1973 dollars translates as about $29 in 2018 dollars. Considering inflation maybe a $20 brick is a pretty good deal.

I have crates of surplus ammo that I've had for 20 or 30 years. They've increased in value pretty good, but I sure wish I had bought stock instead.
    Yep, I have some stock that is now worth $0.00. But other investments in Lead, Silver, Gold, and Bullets still have value (More than what I paid; may be not as much growth as our Apple and Amazon stock - but part of the Balanced Portfolio).
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Yep, I have some stock that is now worth $0.00.
    That is the risk, isn't it? I'm just kicking myself for not getting into at least some stocks, other than a meager 401k, long ago. Right now I'm in the process of selling off all my old surplus ammo, just to make a down payment on braces for two kids. I've got a long ways to go.

If I had any money left over I think I'd buy up a few hundred dollars worth of .22 ammo and put it away for a rainy day. I have a suspicion that it's not going to be getting very much cheaper.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    That is the risk, isn't it? I'm just kicking myself for not getting into at least some stocks, other than a meager 401k, long ago. Right now I'm in the process of selling off all my old surplus ammo, just to make a down payment on braces for two kids. I've got a long ways to go.

If I had any money left over I think I'd buy up a few hundred dollars worth of .22 ammo and put it away for a rainy day. I have a suspicion that it's not going to be getting very much cheaper.
    Agree. I survived the last drought on 22LR (vastly escalated prices) because I had stocked up with many thousands over the year by buying a 550 pack or so every pay day. I now pick up 100 to 200 rounds a month in 50 packs (not shooting much 22LR); as the grandsons get older we will be shooting 22LR more so it should pay off if we see another drought (vastly escalated price).
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Man
    Cabelas has Federal 525 at $23 this weekend. With research and patient, you can bring that price down to $17.4 per brick.

Found 550 Federal 22 lr 36 gr hollow point at my local chinamart for $19.97. Paid $10 for a box of CCI cb shorts.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast