MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Lee PrecisionPBcastcoInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: .22's at more-or-less normal prices

One of the local Walmart's had an entire displace case full of Winchester 100 packs. I counted about 850 boxes. But for the price, you can see why they're sitting there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0771.jpg  

Boolit Master

That's what the Winchesters are going for these days.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

I walked by the sporting goods counter at our Wal-mart today and the whole counter was full of .22lr that he was stocking. CCI , Federal, and Remington. No limit.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Just my thinking when they start sitting on the racks and people are not buying them up like bread and milk on days they are calling for snow in the south the price will start getting back in line. 22 rounds I seen here are 10 bucks for 100 cci 33 bucks for some bulk remingtons maybe I am cheap but that is too much for me still.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Too much for me too. 5 cents, we're talking. Any more than that, I'm walking.

Boolit Grand Master

Online you can find them for 5-6¢ a piece now for bulk ammo. Even at Cabelas they has the Remington Gokden Bucket for $79.99 for 1300 IIRC. Could have been $89.99. Either way, deals are out there.

PSA has a bunch on sale with free shipping as well at certain quantity levels.

Boolit Bub

primer cost

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbender View Post
    Called the local gun store for some 6 1/2 Remington primers for my Hornets. Went to get them and $49.95 per 1000 ? I changed my mind. I'm going to Cabelas Thursday . lol
    powder valley has primers, most under 30$ plus shipping. just buddy up and order in bulk and it is reasonable.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RP View Post
    Just my thinking when they start sitting on the racks and people are not buying them up like bread and milk on days they are calling for snow in the south the price will start getting back in line. 22 rounds I seen here are 10 bucks for 100 cci 33 bucks for some bulk remingtons maybe I am cheap but that is too much for me still.
    +1 to that! I keep thinking that sooner or later supply will catch up with demand. It's got to eventually, right? When you look at cost to manufacture, raw materials, historical price, etc., the bulk discount brands should be sitting on the shelves at 4 cents per or less.

I have to wonder if demand is not dropping very fast because demand is actually deeper than you would think. For example, how many millions of us are sitting back watching supply increase and prices ever so slowly and slightly decrease, thinking "When the price gets down to X, I'm going to really stock up and buy a bunch"? I know I will, when I start to see them at a reasonable price. It could still be a very long while before we see them on the shelves at reasonable prices.

Does it have to catch up?

It does appear that this time it is going to, although it still seems to be a pretty slow process. Makes me wonder if next time this happens if demand will be so high that the system does not catch up. Or at least not for a long period of time.

Then when you start to consider every day baby's are being born around the world faster than old people are dying. At some point it is entirely possible that demand will outpace production. Costs don't go down. Raw materials cost more, power costs more, manpower costs more. Those company's making .22lr are not doing it for the pleasure of it. If they can not make a consistent profit, enough consistent profit, they will padlock the doors and let the people go.

Company's and corporations do what they do for the bottom line. The good ones, if the bottom line is ok, continue to look at the their help, then their customers. But they don't all. And if it is all red ink and no help on the horizon they will shut them down.

What happens if their cost for lead doubles? Suddenly their no profit break even figure is as high as the normal sale price.

It is a complex machine, it will break down at some point.
    Betting that it won't because we don't "want" it to, or because we are emotionally invested in .22lr below a certain price won't stop it from happening.

The only hedge is when you can, stack it wide and deep at as low a price for as good a product in as much quantity as you can afford.

PSA has (had?) my pet CCI Blazer on sale for $29.99/500 with free shipping with 5+ bricks. I'm being stubborn and waiting for it to drop to $24.99!

Boolit Master
    I am glad to see .22's off of the endangered list... I heard that they were almost extinct! I do love shooting my .22 pistols ... often do that to relax before leaving the range after shooting larger calibers.

Funny thing, I just calculated how much my .357's are costing me using $1.50/lb alloy, assuming new brass last 10 uses, primer cost, 14.5 of 2400, couple of coats of Hi-Tek etc, and came up with 14 cents. Isn't reloading great when you can shoot full power .357's for only two times what a .22 round costs?!
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

With my 124 gr .358 mold I should get 55 or 56 bullets per pound of range scrap/COWW. I am paying just over a dollar a pound, that puts those bullets on my table at between 2 cents and 2.5 cents ea.

Primers at 3-4 cents depending on when and where you bought them.

Brass I consider an investment in a shooting future and don't track. Silly of me perhaps but I do not shoot enough to wear out much brass.

That leaves 2-3 cents for a charge of 4.6 grains of Red Dot.

So 8.5 to 10 cents per round the way I figure it. I bought a fair amount of .22lr at that price.

But I also bought some at 6 cents which is cheaper. Either way I can afford to burn some anytime I feel like it. Just getting old and not feeling like it very often.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/feder...t=5%3a00+Email

4.36 cents a round. I ordered some.

Boolit Bub
    Back in I believe 2012, my local big box store was selling m22 winchester ammo cans for 95 bucks. I bought 5 and have been shooting that ever since. I don't think I'll need to buy more any time soon.

Good price, and free shipping if you buy 5 or more boxes. Sweet deal.

Sitting on enough right now to not feel the need for more. But tempting.

Boolit Master

I finally saw 500rnd bricks of .22lr on the shelf yesterday, for $24.97 at Walmart. No limit. First time I've seen that in years at a reasonable price.

I still fully expect that, barring unusual circumstances, sooner or later the supply will fully catch up, the shelves will stay stocked, and we'll be paying around $20 per brick of 500.

But, but, but... I thought eight to ten cents per round was the "new normal", never to come down again, just the way it is from now on?

My son likes to shoot .22s. We were just out at the range this morning, even had the old H&R Leatherneck out. It tends to be a little bit finicky about ammo. It works great with Mini-mags, hates the Federal Automatch (jam-o-matic), so-so with the Thunderbolts we were shooting today.

Boolit Buddy
    Does anyone know who is making the Browning .22 Long Rifle ammo? This stuff was for sale in Reno for $69/1,600 round for 38gr LRN and $79/1,000 40gr HP. Most of the other makers have come down in price. Winchester X-Pert was $135/2,000, and the Aguila is coming down to $35/500.

Primers are $125/5,000, usually for Winchester but also some CCI.

All prices before sales taxes.

I really did think 6 cents ea was going to be the new low.

Suspect we will be on this roller coaster again before we expect it.

All I can say is if you like to shoot .22lr now is the time, stack them deep and wide.

Boolit Grand Master

PSA had bulk packs on sale For just over 4¢ each shipped TYD. Keep checking their specials.

I just picked up 10 boxes (275 each box) of Federal 36gr CPHP for under 5¢ each shipped. Good enough for plinking. I'll keep getting them at this price until I have more than I could ever shoot.

What's the shelf life on these in sealed ammo cans anyhow?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast