MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Pulling pistol boolits. Need ADVISE

Pulling pistol boolits. Need ADVISE

I picked up 500rds of 10mm loads. They are way over the current published max! I need to pull the boolits. 180gr TC cast. Inertia puller will take forever (I pulled 2). What is my best alternative? Thinking maybe Hornady that mounts in a press. These are on new brass. I'm not worried about salvaging the boolits. ADVISE please.
    NRA Benefactor Member

I am in the same boat with some 45 acp loads that have some squibs mixed in. I've tried the RCBS puller but it does not work well on lead bullets. It appears the inertia puller is the best tool for the job. You can however use a shell holder in place of the collet to hold the base in the inertia puller.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

If your press will raise the bullet above the frame, remove any die and raise the ram so that the bullet is exposed above the press frame, (you may need a shell holder extension). A cheap wire stripping/crimping tool will grip the bullet as you lower the ram. I modified a stripper so that both jaws are sharpend; They will pull truncated cone bullets out of .45s in short order.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Thanks Dan. I'll give it a try!
    NRA Benefactor Member

Banned
    I got a pair of cheap wire strippers and drilled a hole a little smaller than the bullet in the middle of the bank of stripper holes. Seeing you're doing pistol bullets you'll need a piece of pipe/tubing to put around your ram that is more than a case length taller than the ram in the down position.
    Put the cartridge in the shell plate, raise the ram until the brass is even with the top of the pipe, grab with your modified wire strippers and lower ram.... The rest is history

Boolit Grand Master

If you don't want to salvage the bullets the wire strippers work very weel and the 1" conduit over the ram saves on travel and speeds it up a lot. I have used 1" steel conduit 1" - 1 1/2" taller than the bullet in the shell holder to pull bullets like this also. raise ram up insert round and grip with side cutters, wire strippers or end cutters and pull down on ram to pull bullets

Boolit Master

Inertia is the only practical way. The other kind doesn't work well with lead.

Inertia bullet pullers are made for small children. Rent one if you don't have any.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

I do have an old pair of "dykes" in my scrap iron that are too dull for wire. Guess I'll sharpen them up for one more use. Thanks for the great ideas!
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Master
    i did 40,000 rounds of various calibers over the winter with a inertia hammer....i must be a small children.

Boolit Buddy
    50 or so at a sitting with the inertia hammer. Get it done in my book.

I'll be trying a pair of dykes and/or a wire cutter next week. If that fails I'll use my inertia puller. Thanks for all the input. The boolits are supposed to be linotype so I will salvage the boolits to my lino supply.
    NRA Benefactor Member