Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best melting pot available

Best melting pot available

what is the BEST available melting pot right now, my RCBS went t###s up and I need a new one that will last until I die...
    catmasher

Quote Originally Posted by catmasher View Post
    what is the BEST available melting pot right now, my RCBS went t###s up and I need a new one that will last until I die...
    catmasher
    If money is no object, get one of these: http://www.magmaengineering.com/products/cast-master/

I got a less expensive pair but then I'm 66 on my next birthday so "rest of my life" likely has a different meaning for the two of us. I own two Lyman pots, 10 and 20 pound capacities, and both have worked well for me. The 10# I bought circa 1970 and it still works just fine.

RCBS seems like a good buy too, shop around for the best deal.

I was under the impression that among the mid-proced pots the RCBS was pretty good. Is yours not repairable?

(Of course, this is coming from a relatively new caster who is perfectly happy with his Lee Dripmaster)

Boolit Grand Master

Catmasher;
    Did you call RCBS? My understanding is that those electric pots are guaranteed for life. If they are not, they are certainly repairable. Give RCBS a call - it only costs a phone call...

I have two RCBS pots and frankly, they are the best of the 22 lbs. pots out there. They are not cheap, but I have had one for nearly thirty years and the other came from an estate sale. They have done tens of thousands of bullets and still going strong.

Dale53

Banned

the one ku4x shows is similar to the one i use the one's i use is on the left.
    i can recall one time i had one of the two dribble in the last 20 years.
    you could buy the whole mastercaster set up for slightly more than just the pot alone when i bought mine.
    the temp dial indicator on the side is adjustable and fairly accurate also.

Boolit Grand Master

Don't like the word BEST! It is what ever works for you that you probably will think is best. I like RCBS, have a lee as well, and wore out an OLD lyman. They were all good.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

I can't fathom another pot being any better than the Magma 40 lb'er I have in the garage.
    At one with the gun.

Boolit Master

RCBS has repaired two Pro-Melts for me so far. Just box it up and ship it back to Customer Service UPS with a letter stating what is wrong. So far, I haven't been charged...even for return shipping.

Worst case is that UPS will lose it and reimburse you.

IMO and experience, you can't beat a Pro-Melt but they are pricey./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    When it comes to bottom pour pots, the RCBS is excellent at keeping the temperature consistant. A Waage will keep the temp even more accurate but is ladle pour only. If I am not mistaken, I think a Magma is not set up so that it is possible to pressure pour and with some moulds I want that option. -- Bill --

Boolit Master
    HI,
    I have a Lyman 10lb. pot I bought about 1969. It has helped me make 10's of 1,000's of boolits. I average about 3,000+ rounds fired a year. The pot still works fine. But it does not have the guarantee that a RCBS on does.
    So if it gave up the gost I do not Know if Lyman would fix it.

I wore out a Lyman many years ago when I was casting in very large quantities, the verticle supports began to curve forward and it was no longer holding up. That was about 25 years ago, and it was replaced with a RCBS Pro-Melt. The RCBS has cast many thousands of boolits since then and is still going strong. Like others have said, contact RCBS, you may be pleasantly surprised at their customer service level.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NAHC Life Member
    TSRA Life Member

Unlike most things in life, knowledge can be given away freely and never be diminished

Boolit Grand Master
    +1 for the Magma if you're flush. I don't see me having one.
    I use a LEE PRO 4-20. Not without its issues, but it works. If I do my part, it casts great boolits.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    At almost 70 and after 50 years of reloading I'm looking into beginning to cast.
    Probably start with just one bullet/boolit for a .357 which I use a lot of.
    So, how are the Lee pots? A worthwhile buy or is it worth it to save and spring for a higher dollar one?

Moderator Emeritus
    I've stuck with the RCBS because it is an excellent pot and I'm very happy with them. I've never had the need for a 40lber, but if I did then I'd go for the Magma.

I have two RCBS's and if/when one breaks I'd happily replace it with another if it couldn't be fixed.

Would never buy another Lee pot, I'd sooner dip with a cast Iron pot over the gas ring than wrestle with another Lee.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Mold
    Had two Lyman pots for years , both finally burned out , Cost too much to repair . Am now using two Lee pots ( no bottom pour ) for about eight years with no problem . Melt about three hundred pounds of lead a year .

+1 --- for the big bad Magma pot

--- Hey you did say BEST --- although it can be a (insert derogative term for female canine) to change the orifice plates on the bottom --- but they are still a beter set-up then the non-changable pore orifice on the bottom of almost all the other pots

Boolit Master
    JohnFM, I feel like the RCBS pot is remarkably better than a Lee pot based on the fact that the RCBS will keep the temperature more consistant than the Lee. As the Lee ages, you will have to turn the dial to a different spot to get the same temperature and eventually replace the thermostat. The stat is simple to change and not very expensive whereas the RCBS has a stellar guarantee and probably won't break in the first place. The difference is the initial cost which is considerably higher for the RCBS so you will have to decide just how much you are going to use the pot and base your decision on that. I used a Lee for a time after my original Ideal died and for me temperature wasn't consistant enough and I was already on my second stat. For someone who moulds just a few thousand bullets a year and isn't competitive enough to want the best, the Lee would be fine. -- Bill --

If I could justify it, the Magma would probably be it. Just the 40# cap is nice & my MasterCaster has always perfromed well.

In Remebrance

I bought a 12 cup stainless measuring cup for $15.00 and an $8.00 hotplate. It holds over 40 lbs and I'm set for life.

Banned
    I'm not sure, but isn't someone supposed to jump in here and swear that the Lee ten pounder is the best there is?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast