RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: 22 Rim Fire reloading swaged bullets

Banned

22 Rim Fire reloading swaged bullets

Well folks I made a video of my progress so far of swaging 22 rim fire bullets. The video contains many errors in terminology. I have a hard time remembering terminology these days. But you can get the idea of how I make the bullets from this video. I hope you enjoy it.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ie8eb4o598...etDie.mp4?dl=0https://www.dropbox.com/s/ie8eb4o598...etDie.mp4?dl=0

In Remembrance

You did well with the video production, keeping in mind the camera, lens, etc.

So, let me understand the purpose of those bullets...........

You are going to swage lead material into a bullet shape to stuff into a 22 LR case, and that presumes that you are going to somehow add some new primer chemical into the rim of a fired 22 LR case? Or, am I missing something?

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Banned
    DukeInFlorida:
    Yes I have been reloading 22lr. I get cases from the range, anneal them, clean them in a tumbler with pins, resize them, reprime them, reload them, crimp them and shoot em. There are several threads here on repriming rim fire. I also have some eley primed brass that I will use once I get ALL of the kinks ironed out of the process of reloading. My goal is to make the most accurate match grade 22lr on the market today.

In Remembrance

Whoa..

Don't poke yer eye out.

Smallest boolit I cast is 25 acp, at just under 50 grains. .22 LR is sketchy in my book. But, good luck with it.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

I salute you! Getting the primed cases (or re-priming) is the single issue. I believe you can will be able to achieve match grade better than factory. We've been doing it for years with center fire, rim fire is no different other than you'll need to watch carefully your charge, small cases react swiftly to charge difference.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Boolit Buddy

Very enjoyable and informative. I don't need to reload another caliber, but I really enjoyed seeing your operation.

Bill
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Space for Witty Signature Line FOR RENT...........Cheap

Boolit Man
    how/what are you annealing? seems like that could be dangerous if the whole case.

Banned
    I annealed the whole cases. Just heated them up and let em cool. I have already tested many of them with no problems.
    In fact the non-annealed cases tend to crack. The annealed ones are holding up quite well. They may get work hardened a bit when I resize them.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimrk View Post
    how/what are you annealing? seems like that could be dangerous if the whole case.

Where are you getting your priming compound?

Banned
    I have used priming compound from several sources. Mainly, so far I have used toy roll caps. They sell a brand called legends at Wallmart that is made in Germany which is good quality. There are several threads here that discuss how to use roll caps. I have found that soaking them in water for a minute or two and peeling the top layer of paper from the roll, then scraping the wet cap from the bottom paper with a snap off blade knife works the best. I pile 6-8 caps on a pile and let it dry. Then I have an exact measured charge for the primer. There is a problem with using caps. They are very corrosive. I clean my guns immediately with water after shooting them with this primer. There is also a place called "Sharp Shooter" that sells the components to make primer. This primer is also corrosive though. There are several threads here that discuss the making of primer. Look for a member by the name of "Marshall". He has been posting several recipes for non-corrosive primer.
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.D View Post
    Where are you getting your priming compound?