Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recoil Pad Fitting Jig

Boolit Buddy

Recoil Pad Fitting Jig

Which jig would you guys recommend for recoil pad grinding? Looking at the Graco and the Miles Gilbert. Thanks

This is the one I have.
    http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod44670.aspx
    Works well.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Boolit Buddy
    i did look at that one also, it just seemed so expensive for what it was. what size sander are you using it with? i only have a small belt/disc sander. i think the disk is 4", not sure if it will work with any of the fixtures out there.

Boolit Master
    Have used a 4 inch disc sander to shape many recoil pads. Put heavy weight tape on the stock and sand. The tool will help but I never purchased the tool just eye ball gage. Once close with the disc sander sand by hand to final shape, the tape will protect the stock as you sand by hand. In my case the stocks were always refinished or painted if the stock was not a wood stock.
    Take your time and go slow with the disc sander.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hawkenhunter50 View Post
    i did look at that one also, it just seemed so expensive for what it was. what size sander are you using it with?.
    If it was a high volume mass produced item the price would be out of line, but, as a very low volume item no one is making a bunch of money off them. Interesting design and they must work well for Brownell's to carry such a crudely manufactured item. The reviews are not great.

Boolit Buddy
    I started out using masking tape, electrical tape and a couple of other ideas I won't mention. All too often, I would nick the tape and put a scar on wood finish. If I extra more tape wraps on, the pad ended up proud of the stock.

Now, I mount the oversized pad on the stock. Use an ice pick or similar slim, long taper, sharp pointed item to scribe the pad. Remove the pad and rub white chalk across scribed line, and then rub off at right angle across the scribed line. I then use a belt sander, mounted vertically. (a sanding wheel would work) I have mounted a vacuum hose mount on the sander, and still get some rubber grinding on my belly, but hopefully yours (belly) does not stick out as far as mine. Grind until white line is gone. Eyeball the angle of the pad at toe. Remount pad.

Boolit Grand Master
    Freezing the pad before grinding almost always helps too. I have not mounted any of the newer sorbothane type pads, but the freezing trick works well with most Pachmayr's.

Fresh new sharp sanding disks also help.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

I have put on over a hundred pads with the Brownell's B Square jig with no problems. Well worth the money. And a tip...screw the pad un cut to the rifle and scribe around it with a sharp scribe. Then take the pad off and chalk it, the grind line will be easy to see. Just follow the instructions after that and you will have a perfect fit. With the new really soft pads grind slow as the pad will deform in the jig if you press too hard. I use to eyeball and tape and the jig cut my time in half less work more moolah.

One thing that I always do. I lightly sand the back of the recoil pad on my belt sander to insure that it is dead flat. Don't assume they come flat and if they aren't you'll eventually end up with a crack in the hard portion of the pad.
    Phil

Boolit Master
    I use to use the old Tape the stock and grind it to fit.
    But once I bought my first Miles Gilbert Pad Fitting Jig I found it to be easier and no chance of nicking the stock.
    I fit about three pads a month and won't go back to the old method unless the pad is too small to fit the Jig.
    I have the Jig from Brownell also
    I use a 12" bench mounted Disc sander from HF.
    It works good with 100 or 120 grit sanding discs.
    A trick I learned in a Custom Rifle Building Class was to keep the sanding disc cooled down and cleaner by occasionally spraying the disc while turning with Windex.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post

A trick I learned was to keep the sanding disc cooled down and cleaner by occasionally spraying the disc while turning with Windex.

Nice tip !

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    sounds like a lot of good tips. the chalk dust sounds helpful. also the freeze idea. thanks to all for the good tips. LAGS do you know the smallest dimension that works on the Miles Gilbert jig? Thats the one I was leaning towards getting. Would hate to get it & find it wont work. The main pad I want to do is 5" long, 1.6875" wide. That is before I will shorten the stock.

Boolit Master

I have the B Square which is the same as the Miles gilbert. I've done a dozen or so pads with it and am very happy with it.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaLar View Post
    This is the one I have.
    Works well.
    This is the best one I've used. If set up correctly, which is easy, you can grind very well fitting recoil pads. I use mine on a 1" x 42" belt sander.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by scb View Post
    This is the best one I've used. If set up correctly, which is easy, you can grind very well fitting recoil pads. I use mine on a 1" x 42" belt sander.
    did you modify yours like the reviewers mentioned on brownells site? not sure if thats maybe why it got the couple bad reviews. the reviews and the price are what scared me away from that one. did you choose this one over the other cheaper ones for any specific reason? easier to setup, better job grinding?? thx

Boolit Master
    I almost always use my Miles Gilbert jig.
    And the issue with the size of the disc is the height of the pad on the disc.
    Too small of disc and you are at the part of the disc that is at the sideways part of the rotation.
    The pad cuts cleaner, is easier to see what you are doing when the part of the disc you are touching is rotating down.
    I will post a picture here shortly.
    But I have used a verticle belt sander and even a Portable belt sander clamped in a vise so it ts in a verticle position with some type of platform to set the jig on.
    Sorry the picture got sent sideways.
    I am not a computer person
    Last edited by LAGS; 05-27-2017 at 01:08 AM.

Boolit Master
    You can use a smaller disc, especially if you are only going to do one pad, or only one once in a while.
    But the part of the pad that is hitting the pad when on the jig is going sideways, and has a tendancy to push the pad sideways not Down against the table on the sander.
    And also puts too much of the pad in contact with the disc at one time if you are not careful.
    If I had my choice, I would like to use a 4 or 6 inch wide Verticle Belt sander to do my pads.
    But I have never got around to buying one because of room in my shop.
    But a Narrow belt sander will work just fine.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaLar View Post
    This is the one I have.
    Works well.
    This jig works very well. I didn't like the price and due to my thrifty heritage made my own for a few bucks in materials. The most expensive part was a ball bearing fishing swivel but I used a plain swivel until I got to a fishing store that carried salt water gear. The square tubing where the pad mounts has slots on my home made model so every pad I've tried so far fit. I have a milling machine but it could be made with a drill press or hand drill and a Dremel. I just use long small diameter machine screws with washers and nuts to mount pads.

Quote Originally Posted by scb View Post
    This works just fine. I started out using the jig on a Craftsman bench sander with a 1" belt but later bought a bigger sander with a 4" wide belt. It was easier to find a variety of grits on the 4"x36" belts.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the suggestions and help. I ordered up a Miles Gilbert. Will post results of my first job once finished.

Boolit Master
    What type of sander are you going to try first ?
    Keep us posted and please post pictures if you need help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast