Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Still working on a Mauser load

Boolit Master

Still working on a Mauser load

I've gotten a nice NOE 8mm mold that throws a 190 gr plain base spire point. I PC it and the final weight is around 195 gr. I size to .323. I've tried several different powders. Right now I'm working with IMR 4895. It seems that the higher I go with the powder charge, the tighter the groups get! I started at a minimum load and worked up to 32.1 gr. Out of my Yugo M27 I've gotten the groups down to 3 inches at 100 with an occasional flier that opens the groups to just over 4 inches. I spent today loading another batch increasing the charge weight by .2 gr increments. I'll probably finish tomorrow at around 35.0 gr. I'm hoping to find the sweet spot soon. It would be nice if I could get those groups down under 2 inches. I'll chrono the best loads once I find what seems to work the best. So far IMR 4895 just seems to work better than anything else I've tried. I'll probably try a couple more powders after this; IMR 4064 and IMR 4350. Any suggestions for those two powders?

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I've been playing with an old Lyman 214 grain 8mm mold (don't remember the number offhand), along with a variation of "the load". 17 grains of 2400 makes a modestly stout cast load that is accurate and hits like a sledgehammer at any reasonable range. So far, it has performed well in a Gewer 98, Yugo 48 and a Commission Carbine.

I haven't tried any "real" rifle powders yet, so your information is definitely of interest!

Maybe try sizing to .324 or larger as most milsurp 8mm's have generous throats . Food for thought you maybe exceeding the limits of that plain base bullet, PC still isn't a gas check, maybe try a slower powder ?
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

" maybe try a slower powder ?"

That's why I'm asking about 4350. That is a whole lot slower. Anyone try it for cast bullets?

Boolit Master
    I don't consider IMR 4350 to be a "slow" powder. Slow starts at IMR 4831. However, for IMR 4350 start about 37.0 grs and work up. Also, as has already been said, size your bullets larger.

Boolit Master
    It seems that I recall a "75% rule" for IMR-4064, wherein you reduce the max charge for the bullet weight of interest to no less than 75% of max. I doubt that Hodgdon endorses this, but I have had it recommended to me more than once by more knowledgeable reloaders. I will probably try it in my Vz-24 with the 205gr. pc projectiles I bought from Missouri Bullets.

I doubt that I would try the above with powders slower than Varget. I don't think I could be compelled to try it with anything as slow as 4831, at least not without tufting and/or deep(er) bullet seating. Other more experienced reloaders may (probably) know things that I don't about reduced loads with slow-burning powders. I feel like I can get myself into sufficient trouble with the medium-burning variety.
    Last edited by Kosh75287; 05-29-2017 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Additional info/thoughts
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy
    my mauser really likes imr 4198

Boolit Master

.325 sizing die should be here in a couple days. May have to beagle the mold.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    .325 sizing die should be here in a couple days. May have to beagle the mold.
    Size at .325 and call it good. .325 will be al you will need.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Bub
    I use Lyman 165 gr sized .325 with 2400 powder

I use the Lee bore rider design and will have to check on powder but am pretty sure I load those with 4198. Was mild 100 meter target round but decent accuracy and not at all unpleasant to shoot. More accurate than store bought copper jacket spire points that had a noticeably harsher recoil.

This mold but I will say I also like NOE molds and they did have more 8mm choices https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...75-1r-mold-dc-
    Last edited by RogerDat; 10-16-2017 at 02:10 PM.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat