Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Pietta 1860 Boolits ?

Pietta 1860 Boolits ?

What boolits have you found to fit a Pietta 1860 with the edge of the chamber not clearing the barrel until it is right close to centered until the ram?
    The cut out on the barrel at 6 o'clock made for conicals isn't terribly small but the adjacent curvature of the barrel geometry isn't very friendly. Appears to have more metal there than on an original 1860.
    I'm going to look the RCBS 220 round nose, RCBS 250 RN, Lyman #452400.
    The Lee BP RN doesn't fit unless the rear half is resized way smaller to get the slugs deeper into the chambers and miss the shoulder on the barrel. The old Walker standby the RCBS 45-225CAV doesn't come close to fitting. Maybe I should try the #452484 hollow point as it has a significant sloping away on the ogive.
    Any how, thought I ask to see if anyone is using how heavy a mold that loads OK.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    The 456-228 RN Lee was for the ROA . I know a guy that had an Accurate mould cut for .448, .450 , .452 bands from the bottom up in 220, 230 ,250gr and popped the top out of his Walker with the 250s .
    I have a 429421 that is opened up to 448 that I've considered running in a Dragoon over maybe 25gr of FFg . It would fit the cylinder tight and the ram but the 260 gr of pure makes me rethink it .

I have a conical for the 36 that is a copy of an original but it didn't shoot for beans .
    If I wanted a heavier weight based on the little I know I would choose a mould that was basically an RB with a .1 tall base cut to be a loose press fit in MY chambers from a sprue side of the RB and let the RB cut it's ring . That would give you more or less a 200gr 451-454 ball and it would fit the loading lever . Track of the Wolf might have something to look at but I don't know if they ship out of the states any more .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master
    my Pietta was fitted with a conversion cylinder, and I have never loaded the BP cylinder--it's too hard to find BP here in CA. and my experience with the substitutes was so poor that I don't care repeat itClick image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	196277Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	196278 Those boolits are 456-401"s IIRC.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I have good results with 777 in BP revolvers.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    The 456-228 RN Lee was for the ROA . I know a guy that had an Accurate mould cut for .448, .450 , .452 bands from the bottom up in 220, 230 ,250gr and popped the top out of his Walker with the 250s .
    I have a 429421 that is opened up to 448 that I've considered running in a Dragoon over maybe 25gr of FFg . It would fit the cylinder tight and the ram but the 260 gr of pure makes me rethink it .

I have a conical for the 36 that is a copy of an original but it didn't shoot for beans .
    If I wanted a heavier weight based on the little I know I would choose a mould that was basically an RB with a .1 tall base cut to be a loose press fit in MY chambers from a sprue side of the RB and let the RB cut it's ring . That would give you more or less a 200gr 451-454 ball and it would fit the loading lever . Track of the Wolf might have something to look at but I don't know if they ship out of the states any more .
    Harter, you mean the cylinder came apart?

I'm uncertain of the exact circumstances but 50 gr of FFFg under the heavy took the firing and next chamber out . I don't remember now if it was real or a sub but it was a Walker . I also don't remember the gun maker .

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Now that would be a pants filler.

I have used Lyman #452066 bevel base SWC and the RCBS #45-225CAV (rear bands sized to .450) in a Walker. Both come close to duplicating the original service boolit. #452066 worked well in a dragoon also.
    Completed the sizing last night on a batch of the RCBS boolits for a 1858 (front .450, rear bands sized to .443 for the Pietta chambers). Those fit the 1858 OK but the 1860 hasn't clearance to allow the boolits to slip by the side of the barrel, align and go straight into the chambers.

Pickett is the name that comes to mind after a good night's sleep . I can't swear to it but it may be George Pickett . He came up with the original conical for the Colts 44 family . It had a narrow base step and a short taper to probably 454 then to about a 1-1.5" radius cone . I'm thinking 205 gr or so .
    I had forgotten completely about having poured a few 45-200 SWC RCBS for my 58' Remington . About 20gr of FFg , Pyrodex RS actually , they shot well but were to much trouble to load if the bottom band didn't slip fit .

A thought for prospective . A 45 Colts is able to drive a 250gr HBRNFP 900 fps on just 30-35 gr of FFFg in the original load . The 58 and 60 44s have a maximum capacity with a RB of about 25 gr . I know that a 141 gr , what my 454s weigh , knocking on 1000fps doesn't seem like a lot but that's faster than the FBI approved 147gr 9mm and right there with both the 40 S&W and 45ACP so not really something I want to be on the business end of .
    Typically the RB produces tighter groups as well .

I have a Dragoon 2nd model and when I get around to running it I will stick with the 40-50 gr of FFg and a RB if I don't dumb luck into a Pickett mould .

25 grains is pretty much my standard load in the 1858 converted to forty bore.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stack top 3.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	185.5 KB 
ID:	196752

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    25 grains is pretty much my standard load in the 1858 converted to forty bore.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stack top 3.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	185.5 KB 
ID:	196752
    Old, old thread but I would like to see the 58 with a .40 bore.

Here yah go... pretty much looks like '58.

Boolit Buddy
    Did you start with a .36 cal and ream the cylinder , was the barrel recut or bored and lined ?

Yes sir you got it, started with a .36.
    Chambers machined and the barrel replaced.
    The work was performed by Mr. John Taylor who is frequently here on castboolits.
    He also did a 1851 in .40 caliber to approximate a replica of the prototype testing done by Colt, a very nice idea for the 1851 that the 1860 war put to rest. Perhaps some day it will have a companion piece rifle shooting the same round ball.

Chrono'd the NEI #411-185 RN at 858fps.
    It weighs 193 grains cast with soft lead.

Boolit Master

Cool stuff................
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Buddy
    Eras Gone has. .44 conical that is supposed to be easier than most due to its long rebated shank. I have one ordered but not in yet. Order soon, they sell out quick.

https://www.erasgonebullets.com/stor.../-44-johnston-

Good Cheer, Something like the Lee 452-200 SWC or the heavier 452-252 SWC, seated backwards may work for you:https://leeprecision.com/bullet-cast...-bullet-molds/

Boolit Master
    Wouldn't a Lee .452 RNFP be easier to get into a chamber backwards than a SWC? GF