Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: just wondering, scope or iron sights

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Standard or Bradley?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Sounds good to me,,,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I have to admit I felt like a born again sighter after shooting my Enfield. I averaged about 1.5" to 2" groups with it till all three went in the same hole. I took my optic off my cz 452 utralux after that to start practicing. I'd really like to put a peep on the CZ now.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I have to admit I felt like a born again sighter after shooting my Enfield. I averaged about 1.5" to 2" groups with it till all three went in the same hole. I took my optic off my cz 452 utralux after that to start practicing. I'd really like to put a peep on the CZ now.
    Around here, you are 100% correct. 75, maybe 100 yards is all that is reasonable with any kind of non-magnifying sight. There just isn't anything comparable to a good scope for hunting. There is just too much brush that you cannot see when the animal is that far away without a scope. I do use open sights more often then not though. They are just so handy and rugged. On a handgun, I only use open sights, a nice flat black rear, and some kind of a blade front. I don't hunt with centerfire rifles much. Coyote is about the only thing I use them for, and a scoped rifles is the only thing I've used. For deer I've used all kinds of muzzleloaders and shotguns. Again, the scope is the superior sight. I have been enjoying the aperture sights on the muzzleloader though, and that is what I am going to carry this year. Accuracy at the range, good aperture sights don't give up much to a scope. I currently have a tiny aperture and a globe front, no more precise iron sight exists as far as I'm concerned. For hunting I will run a large hole aperture and a blade front (painted orange) which I'm sure will give up some precision, but will offer much better performance in the field. The range disadvantage is a moot point for me anyway, as the farthest shot I've ever taken on a deer has been 70 yards. They are not that hard to hunt. Bear you can decide how far you want to be if baiting. I have no way of knowing what it's like to hunt elk.

For the guys out west with wide open spaces with short grass, they don't have the disadvantage of iron sights, and could shoot much farther. A scope is still going to have the extreme range advantage, but a 300 yard shot with aperture sights is fine for those who have practiced.

Boolit Buddy
    I hunt in the scrub oak brush here in oklahoma. Hunted for years with peep sight using a fiber optic front sight. That helped a lot with the low light shots. At 64, I'm using scopes these days. A 4x is plenty and have used 2x with good success. A few years back I found a Nikon 1x4 power scope with a German cross hair. It's real fast on target. Have on on my ar that I use coyote hunting. Those are usually close running shots. Also have one on a 357 henry lever action. Put some hurt on a bunch of running feral hogs last winter. That said, I still use peeps on my muzzle loaders.
    Siamese4570

I am a Jedi Master- I line up all the fuzzy stuff and use the Force!
    David
    scopes and bags are cool, but palm rests 'n' irons RULE!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Not to mention how much light gets pulled on on a quality optic at dusk. I’ve looked through my optic in legal daylight hours where my woods is so dark from tree cover and it looks like bright day through my optic where with the naked eye I would not see. I remember elk hunting out west a few decades ago. I was sitting by a watering hole. Pitch black out yet as it was vert early in the morning and didn’t want to get beat to my spot on public land. I Couldn’t see my hand in front of my face. I heard some splashing in the water. I put my Nikon monarch 2.5x10 up to look through. I could see seven elk in the water! Couldn’t tell if there were horns or could see my crosshairs but it want legal shooting light anyways. Needless to say the Elk moved on before daylight and lived another day. That was my first Nikon and sold me on them after that.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234