Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
StainLess Steel MediaADvertise hereLee PrecisionGraf & Sons

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 57 of 57

Thread: just wondering, scope or iron sights

  1. #41
    Boolit Man
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Posts
    124
    I shoot iron sights probably about 80% of the time. I can definitely shoot a beter target with glass. My eyes were never good coke bottles in 3rd grade and at 61 not getting any better. Having a lot of mil surplus it is not worth spending hundreds to put a scope on and ruin any value.
    I learn how to shoot better with iron sights even with my poor eyes than by using a scope. Finding the correct sight picture and where on that fuzzy dot is I need to hold to is much more difficult but that practice makes me a better shooter. It forces me to become aware of breathing ,tension, correct position and follow through. I will which ever setup I feel most confident for that situation be it scope or iron.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    windber, pa
    Posts
    1,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dan View Post
    Visual acuity slides downhill with age, fact of life. Started my run with 20/15 vision, picked up reading glasses around age 40 and won the cataract lottery a few years ago following radiation therapy. That said, I can and do use open sights on a flinter with a short svelte 42" barrel to very good effect. The irons on more modern hardware grow dusty. The solution is aperture/peep sights and I still use those to good effect. They are as effective as red dots and low power scopes to any range I care to shoot. The target below was shot with a Remington 513T with aperture sights and the one following with a red dot at 50 yards. You tell me which is better.




    that is awesome. my 22 has a 4x scope and it will do 1/2"+/- at 50 yards with cci mini-mags. remmy and federal will go 3/4 - 1" at 50 yards.

  3. #43
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,285
    Just an opinion, but I suspect there are a good many old eyes out there that could profit greatly from the use of aperture sights. They do the same thing that glass does by putting everything on one focal plane. The size of the aperture determines the degree of that gift and suitability for given application, but they are quite easy to get comfortable with.

    It has always struck me odd that they are not used by more shooters.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

  4. #44
    Boolit Master



    M-Tecs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4,431
    All iron sights require focusing on the front sight with the aperture and target being out of focus. As eyes age this gets worse until until you can no longer see front sight adequately unless you are among a lucky few. Apertures are much better than the standard rear sight but they still have a large disadvantage compared to good glass.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-03-2017 at 10:55 AM.

  5. #45
    Boolit Master RU shooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    SW Pa.
    Posts
    1,617
    I shoot both killing paper is usually with iron sights . Huntings a different matter for me small game I'll use iron sights still but for deer I use and have always used a low power scope weaver 2.5x anywhere I hunt deer it's thick and and I need to find those little openings in the brush . And even more so now as Pa has antler restrictions in certain areas . Could I hunt with irons sure but I don't
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

  6. #46
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,285
    Mtecs, if you are trying to focus on the aperture you defeat the benefit of aperture sights. The front sight and target are on the same focal plane and that would be the place to pay attention to.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    windber, pa
    Posts
    1,321
    Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    I shoot both killing paper is usually with iron sights . Huntings a different matter for me small game I'll use iron sights still but for deer I use and have always used a low power scope weaver 2.5x anywhere I hunt deer it's thick and and I need to find those little openings in the brush . And even more so now as Pa has antler restrictions in certain areas . Could I hunt with irons sure but I don't
    where in PA do you hunt? i would go to westmoreland and somerset counties to hunt. bedford county used to be a good one too. the brush is thick were i hunt. my shots go from 12 feet to 35 yards.

  8. #48
    Boolit Master



    M-Tecs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4,431
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dan View Post
    Mtecs, if you are trying to focus on the aperture you defeat the benefit of aperture sights. The front sight and target are on the same focal plane and that would be the place to pay attention to.
    The human eye can only focus at one distance at a time. The front sight and the target are not on the same focal plane unless the front sight is touching the target. Apertures do increase the depth of field but if you are focusing properly on the front sight the target will be less clear than front sight.

  9. #49
    Boolit Mold
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1
    I prefer open sights for squirrel and rabbit hunting. Most of my shots on squirrels and rabbits are under 30 yards. I don't think a scope would give me much if an advantage on a deer rifle here in N.C. But if I had a designated varmint rifle, it would have a powerful scope on it for sure!

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

  10. #50
    Boolit Master RU shooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    SW Pa.
    Posts
    1,617
    Quote Originally Posted by tdoyka View Post
    where in PA do you hunt? i would go to westmoreland and somerset counties to hunt. bedford county used to be a good one too. the brush is thick were i hunt. my shots go from 12 feet to 35 yards.
    Sorry for the delay getting back , I live in southern Westmoreland and do hunt some in this area but mainly in the northern part of the Co. at my dads place it's private land and I know every inch of it . Yep the laurel and brush can be thick but it's the only kind of hunting I know , when I was 12 my first deer was shot at about 20 ft away. I sorta chuckle when I watch some of those huntin shows on tv big wide open field and guy in a tree cabin with all the time in the world to make a shot . I've seldom had more than 5 seconds before mr buck disappears never to be seen again .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

  11. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    windber, pa
    Posts
    1,321
    Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    Sorry for the delay getting back , I live in southern Westmoreland and do hunt some in this area but mainly in the northern part of the Co. at my dads place it's private land and I know every inch of it . Yep the laurel and brush can be thick but it's the only kind of hunting I know , when I was 12 my first deer was shot at about 20 ft away. I sorta chuckle when I watch some of those huntin shows on tv big wide open field and guy in a tree cabin with all the time in the world to make a shot . I've seldom had more than 5 seconds before mr buck disappears never to be seen again .
    i used to hunt the southern part of westmoreland. i used to hunt powder mill nature preserve but a stroke got me and left me handi-capable. oh the bucks and does i drugged out. its sorta the same thing here(its more brushy than laurel), you have 5 seconds to shoot or ya don't. i've quit watchin the "hunting" shows. the last show i watched the guy shot a "grizzly" at 700+/- yards. they tried to show it as a really big bear, but in reality it was a "cub" that mom kicked out when she was pregnant. it was disgusting.

    my first deer was a buck(technically he had a one 3" and there was 2 3/4" spike ) that came within baynotting distance (4-5'). i don't remember much, he was jogging and then he was dead!!! there i was, standing with a smoking 30-30 and a smile on my face. the best part was the drag. i was only 100 yards (downwards) to my house.

  12. #52
    Boolit Master popper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,800
    Aperture is a pinhole lens, it can increase apparent depth of field.
    Whatever!

  13. #53
    Boolit Bub Possumcop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The part of Texas that has Gators and Spanish Moss instead of Longhorns and Cactus...
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by tdoyka View Post
    ...in '83 i was 12y.o....
    Give it 10 or 15 years and you'll "see" (or NOT see) the problem with irons.
    ​7.62x51: Because even the dumbest crook is occasionally smart enough to hide behind a car...

  14. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    windber, pa
    Posts
    1,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Possumcop View Post
    Give it 10 or 15 years and you'll "see" (or NOT see) the problem with irons.

  15. #55
    Boolit Master RU shooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    SW Pa.
    Posts
    1,617
    Quote Originally Posted by tdoyka View Post

    my first deer was a buck(technically he had a one 3" and there was 2 3/4" spike ) that came within baynotting distance (4-5'). i don't remember much, he was jogging and then he was dead!!! there i was, standing with a smoking 30-30 and a smile on my face. the best part was the drag. i was only 100 yards (downwards) to my house.
    Ahhh yes the good ole days when Pa "goats" were legal shot a few of those too with the perfectly straight 3" spikes hey meat was meat I never did cared about antler size always a meat hunter . Now with those antler restrictions grrrrrr ! that's a different rant !
    Awfully nice when they drop at the top of the hill and you have to drag them down ! Lol my place is at the top of the hill and I always shoot them at the bottoms !
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

  16. #56
    Boolit Bub
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Ireland (for now anyway!)
    Posts
    25
    Here's my tuppence worth on this discussion.
    1. Scope.
    When I hunted as a part time (seasonal) professional in UK it was mostly for Roe bucks cause that's what the European clients wanted. The roe buck season starts in April and runs till September, that is basically all the summer months, with May/June/July/August being the best months. We hunt them mostly in heavy woodland at dawn and dusk when all the tress are leafed and the undergrowth is high and thick (little critters don't forget) and it's really dim light. Without a good binocular and a top line scope you won't even see em let alone get a shot.
    2. Open sights
    I live way out in the sticks and consequently get all kind of varmints in my back yard. I love to sit outside on a pleasant evening and whack the rascals with an old (but powerful) air gun with open sights. I don't need a scope for this, I like shooting this way cause it's how I started and, like riding a bike, you never lose it. Bifocals do get in the way a bit though!

  17. #57
    Boolit Master 303Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    7,843
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    All iron sights require focusing on the front sight with the aperture and target being out of focus. As eyes age this gets worse until until you can no longer see front sight adequately unless you are among a lucky few. Apertures are much better than the standard rear sight but they still have a large disadvantage compared to good glass.
    I never focus on the front sight. I focus on the target and the rear U focuses the front post for me. Same with peep sights. I'm not ashamed of my shooting ability.
    I once shot with a Remington 512 with scope and another with with its irons and found no difference in hit rates. Night time shooting with torchlight is a whole 'nother story.

    I'm getting back into iron sights now just because I want to.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 06-23-2017 at 12:35 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

    ''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check