MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad times we're living in

Boolit Master

Sad times we're living in

This morning while getting ready for work, I did my usual news channel surfing. ALL of the local stations were emphasizing the beautiful weather in store for this weekend. All that was mentioned was "many will be heading to the lakes this 3 day weekend" to boat, swim etc. and the weather will be beautiful. The graphics were showing boats on the water.

Not one mention about what this weekend (Monday) is about.

I'll be attending a Fallen Solder name reading at our local cemetery, Flying my flag & in my own way, saying words of thanks to our fallen; for they gave all for this Country.

When I was a child, in Wickliffe Ohio, there was a Memorial Day parade, when the last of the parade came through; the crowd followed in behind the procession & walked to the cemetery, Taps was played, a 21 Gun Salute presented then the people visited the graves of their fallen.

Times have sure changed.

Thank You Veterans for your sacrifices, they truly have not been forgotten by me.
    Bob

Boolit Master

To this generation it's about Bar-b-que, Beer and Beach.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm thankful for those that served and got to come home and those who didnt. Freedom isn't free. Forgetting why we do and dont do things is dangerous business.

Too many for today dose not care.I had lost a uncle in WW2 KIA and always think of him,he got kill on his 2nd tour.when they call him back in. I have his flag that they put over him.it have 48 stars. For my fellow Vets and those went before me Always think of you all.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

The parade still exists in the small town I live in.

Guard will March, I'm next with the Legion Float, then comes the Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, H/S Bands. Plenty of folks line the route,. takes 2 to 3 hours!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by PbHurler View Post
    This morning while getting ready for work, I did my usual news channel surfing. ALL of the local stations were emphasizing the beautiful weather in store for this weekend. All that was mentioned was "many will be heading to the lakes this 3 day weekend" to boat, swim etc. and the weather will be beautiful. The graphics were showing boats on the water.

Not one mention about what this weekend (Monday) is about.

I'll be attending a Fallen Solder name reading at our local cemetery, Flying my flag & in my own way, saying words of thanks to our fallen; for they gave all for this Country.

When I was a child, in Wickliffe Ohio, there was a Memorial Day parade, when the last of the parade came through; the crowd followed in behind the procession & walked to the cemetery, Taps was played, a 21 Gun Salute presented then the people visited the graves of their fallen.

Times have sure changed.

Thank You Veterans for your sacrifices, they truly have not been forgotten by me.
    Well written and heartfelt gratitude for our lost veterans and those that came home....thank each of you and may God bless you each and hold you in the palm of His hands!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	memorial-day-in-case-you-thought-it-was-national-bbq-day.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	196250
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master

some people need a church to pray in, some people need a holiday to remember things, some of us do it wherever we choose! it is indeed sad that some need a parade in order to remember.
    Last edited by lefty o; 05-25-2017 at 05:23 PM.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Too close to home for me to forget .
    Our little Hamlet has the big blow out for Armed forces day which was last weekend the VFW , Elks and Foreign Legion will do services here . While paying tribute to 50 or so men from 1898 to our most recent spat .
    A local boy was lost early on and another sent home with a belt loops for an inseam . That's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things ,but we're 1 square mile 30,60 and 100 miles from the next gas .

God rest those that didn't get to come home and look after those that never will .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    Those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. May God bless all of are vets.

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    some people need a church to pray in, some people need a holiday to remember things, some of us do it wherever we choose! it is indeed sad that some need a parade in order to remember.
    I am truly glad and thankful for all those who turn out for the the hometown parade in support of the local Vets both here and gone in years past, it is good to see the populace support all of those who have and do serve!

SAD???? Not hardly!!!!!

Boolit Master

Times change.
    When I was a kid the parade was held on Decoration Day, and it wasn't always on Monday.
    Just sayin'.

Moderator Emeritus

I suspect we're the victims of our forebears' successes. Most folks today, and it's NOT just the younger crowd, seem to have the "eat, drink and be merry, for nothing bad's gonna' happen" attitude. So many, many today think we're always going to be #1, no matter whether they do anything to ensure we stay that way, or whether they just give themselves over to "sex, drugs and rock n' roll." But it's never been that way, and never WILL be. We've lost our taste for anything that doesn't tickle our fancies, and our fancies are all over the place - EXCEPT where our forebears' were, which is on building something good and substantial that will last and help us all grow, and ensure our continued existence. Yeah, we still have some VERY honorable young men who have enlisted in our armed forces, or otherwise contribute to our nation's sustanance and strength. But so many, many have become drunk on the wine that flows from the gov't wells, that we are carrying one terrific load! And that load has already cost us TRILLIONS of dollars that our grandkids and great grandkids will still be paying on, and all for our neglect of reason in favor of our "delicate sensibilities!" Beam me up Scotty! This ain't really the America I once knew any more!

Sad times we're living in

My son will be marching in our parade with his HS marching band on Memorial Day. On the Saturday before MD we (Boy Scouts)are helping the local American Legion post put flags on the graves of the vets. Sunday before MD we'll take my dad to plant flowers on graves for family that has passed on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Most people will go see a parade, and just maybe some young person will ask an old timer what the parade is all about and get a soft and gentle lesson on the history of our armed forces action in the cause of freedom. That would be well worth the effort made to put on the parade each year.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Master

I'm old enough to remember Memorial Day as "Decoration Day". "Armistice Day" turned into Veterans Day. Both are looked upon as high holy days around here. I always attend services with fellow veterans.

Moderator Emeritus

Meeting my sisters Monday at my uncles grave, he was killed in Korea. We will clean up his and my grandparents graves then help with some of the Civil War and Sioux Uprising graves. We take pencil etchings of unidentified stones each year to try and decipher them. I have had some luck taking pictures then processing in Photoshop, identified 2 Civil War graves that way last year so they have a new bronze plaque on a post next to them. It is a yearly thing and this year my nephew in the Air Force is going to be there, he is stationed in AK and does linguistics(all I can say of his job!), he speaks Russian and Chinese and picked up Korean the last year... Will be fun to have him there and he is going to be part of the 21 gun salute. The cemetery is Fort Ridgely and was the site of a major Sioux Uprising battle. I have a photocopy of a letter my great grandparents wrote after rushing to the fort for protection from the Sioux. The army confiscated hay and a cow and it detailed that they were owed $20 in gold as compensation. I have always wondered if that was ever paid!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    To this generation it's about Bar-b-que, Beer and Beach.

Only because our news and schools have been subverted!

Then why does our High School Band march in the parade?

I was just thinking about this yesterday, to most the only thing that crosses their mind is a government mandated holiday off, 80% of the people who see it for what it is are the people we should be thinking about, instead of the lake,bikinis, and beer!!!
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast