RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how much stronger is the super redhawk

The Bisley hunter model .44 is a fantastic revolver if you get one with proper dimensions. If the throats are too tight Dougguy can fix you up. Pull it apart and polish all the trigger engagement surfaces with polishing compound on a buffing wheel on a dremel tool and put in a reduced trigger return spring (leave the factory mainspring) and start shooting. H110 is your friend for accuracy.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

now, I have seen in articles about a cheap way of reducing the trigger pull is by removing on leg of a coil spring to reduce the pull by half. this supposedly gave it a 3lb pull. also is 296 just as accurate, I know they are almost the same thing, or are they identicle just with different names? thank you-Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Buddy

Go with the reduced power trigger spring from Wolff; it's super cheap and does wonders. Dropping one leg may work, but the unhooked leg drags on the mainspring. 296=H110
    Last edited by bisleyfan41; 07-20-2017 at 10:41 PM.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    now, I have seen in articles about a cheap way of reducing the trigger pull is by removing on leg of a coil spring to reduce the pull by half. this supposedly gave it a 3lb pull. also is 296 just as accurate, I know they are almost the same thing, or are they identicle just with different names? thank you-Travis
    Yes, taking one leg off the pin will certainly lighten the trigger...I have shot THOUSANDS of rounds from guns with one leg of the spring loose. It is not necessary to remove the spring leg...just lift it off the retainer pin. Matter of fact, I am sure that there are a couple back there in the safe that are still that way. BUT...springs cost almost nothing...so, that is the way to go...do it right.

now are you still talking about the trigger return spring or the main spring. i have not taken a sbh apart before, where is the return spring, is it in the grip just like the mainspring? i know, i should know this

Banner Sponsor

Here is a pic of the Ruger Bisley and the BFR with the trigger return spring still attached.
    You can see the pin that it pivots on and there is a pin that each leg will sit on. You should be able to take one leg off of the pin to get a lighter trigger pull. The only gun that I have ever had a problem doing this was on the 480 Bisley. It needed both legs on for the trigger to operate normally.

Here you can see that the new trigger spring has an extra bend in it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	480bisley-trigger.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	200078
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 480bisley-trigger.jpg  
    Last edited by lar45; 07-21-2017 at 04:30 AM.

are you saying hang fires are a myth? and I like the sbh because they have less moving parts than a double action, and I am a big fan of keeping thing simple, and they will work when you need them to if you do your part in caring for them like the expensive tool they are.
    I think he is referring to an extended hang fire. Waiting 10 seconds was what the military taught when I was in, usually because the chamber could be hot enough to cause a "cook off" due to long periods of fire. Hang fires are real and I have experienced several but it is usually detected by hearing the firing pin strike before the round go off. If you use H335 without a magnum primer in a few rifles you will get to experience a hang fire.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Banner Sponsor

Another thing to go along with the poor-boy trigger job is to:
    unload the gun!
    Cock the hammer back and put forward pressure on the hammer with your thumb,
    then pull the trigger.
    Repeat 20 times.
    This can help to smooth out any burrs left on the trigger/hammer sear surfaces.

USMC 77, USRA 79

As far as Ramshot enforcer, I shot a bunch of it through my 44, and it worked very well. It did however contribute to fleet recoil quite a bit. I scored a 4 lb jug during the powder shortage, then found another one on a shelf in anchorage that was damaged and 1/2 price, bought that one too! used it a lot when there was no 2400 to be found. Still no 2400 to be found around here, but I do have some enforcer left.. just seems to be harder on my wrists then even h110... but I still shoot it...lol. I shoot the 310's almost exclusively..
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

thanks a lot for your help guys! I don't plan on going over 300 gr's, most acc. designs I have been looking at are in the 285-290 range. do you think a 285gr.rnfp w/72%meplat would do a big nasty hog justice? or would you look for a 300-320gr boolit, like an ssk?

There is a youtube video put out by Ruger that walks you through the disassembly and reassembly of a SBH. Very well done.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

seems that, for 99% of the time, h110/296 is the go-to powder, barring any reduced loads, which I have no interest in small charges of super-fast powder, the thought of the high pressure spike scares me.

Boolit Master
    thanks a lot for your help guys! I don't plan on going over 300 gr's, most acc. designs I have been looking at are in the 285-290 range. do you think a 285gr.rnfp w/72%meplat would do a big nasty hog justice? or would you look for a 300-320gr boolit, like an ssk?
    I think that 285 grain bullet will be perfect. That's plenty of mass to punch through the gristle plate, and the large meplat should do lots of damage once it's inside.

Boolit Buddy Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    I don't know that anything will be gained or lost by going with a 290 gr boolit as opposed to a 300,305, 310, I always loaded my large caliber revolvers with as heavy a bullet as I could buy. But still see no gain in going lighter than 300 for a hunting boolit. But, I do think it a good idea to find a lighter recoiling practice load.
    You are being watched.

Boolit Grand Master
    so you don't think the SBH's are as durable? because I really like the super Blackhawk bisley hunter. maybe if I shoot 250-270 grs most of the time and just shoot the 300's when I practice for hunting?
    if you were thinking of using this for hunting it would be wise to practice with what you intend to hunt with
    I doubt very seriously you with ever wear out either of the guns you mention or any mentioned
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12