Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The very best 1911 magazine?

Banned

The very best 1911 magazine?

I believe I have found the perfect 1911 magazine. In addition to holding more rounds it feeds everything without a single problem. I have a number of different 1911 magazines from mil surplus to Colt Gold Cup national match magazines to the ultra high dollar ones. The only one I have found so far that will feed any combination of bullet styles and or a mix in the Brownells 8 shot with the bumper on the bottom.

This mag will flawlessly feed the Magma 200gr SWC and 185 Magma SWC bullets which no other mag would feed without problems.

Boolit Master

I have 6 of the Brownells 9mm 1911 magazines 10 rounders only issues that i had was i had to bend the feed lip on 2 of the magazine
    so they would drop out of the magwell other then that they work great I will pick up a few more
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

I don't know what brand they are since they aren't marked by the manufacturer, but I purchased 10 magazines on eBay that hold 8 rounds each for $120 total($12 per mag). They feed everything I have run through them in my Springfield Mil Spec 45acp. Everything from 230 hardball to 155 grain SWC and all sizes in between.
    They all drop free from the pistol easily.
    I have heard all the horror stories about magazines that won't work properly. I have never experienced this. I guess I am just lucky.

Boolit Mold
    The best mag is the one that works in your 1911. I have Wilson, McCormick, Ed Brown and Kimber. They all work for me. But in my mars armament thug, only a Chip works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The magic magazine does not exist. Most mags will do well with bullets between 200 to 230 grains of a good design. When folks try and shoot very lights bullets, which results in short rounds, things start to go south quickly.

Some mags will drag on the sides of some trigger stirrups and not drop free. The style of feed lips will also have a bearing on how a particular contour bullet will feed. GI lips are best reserved for GI style ball ammo. But one do all mag, I am skeptical they exist.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I have 8 Chip McCormick Shooting Star stainless steel magazines for my old Series 70 Colt Government Model that I must have bought 30 + years ago and they have never, ever let me down. 100% reliable. Best investment I ever made.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master

Wilson and Wilson and Wilson. I like the follower on the wilson mags.
    The chip Mcormack do good as well for me.
    Last edited by Plate plinker; 07-14-2017 at 11:15 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the tip, but I probably have as many Wilsons now as I'll ever really need. No auto gun is any better than its magazines, and the cheap stuff is .... well, there's a REASON it's cheap! I'm guessing MacGar makes the mags for Brownell's, but don't know that. I've heard a lot of positive things about MacGar. After all, they make a lot if not most of the mags used as OE on many brands of guns today. Anybody know if the Brownells' are made by MacGar?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I don't know what brand they are since they aren't marked by the manufacturer, but I purchased 10 magazines on eBay that hold 8 rounds each for $120 total($12 per mag). They feed everything I have run through them in my Springfield Mil Spec 45acp. Everything from 230 hardball to 155 grain SWC and all sizes in between.
    They all drop free from the pistol easily.
    I have heard all the horror stories about magazines that won't work properly. I have never experienced this. I guess I am just lucky.
    Probably Checkmate, especially if they came from Joe's magazine mania.

Colt factory mags (also made by checkmate) are my go to for 7 and 8 rd magazines.

When I'm feeling flush I'll buy a couple Wilson combat 7 rd mags with bumpers. I have a big box of mags that I use, and if any start acting funny I will replace springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I have a Colt magazine with a Pachmayr follower in it. Shooting Bullseye pistol for 30 years I can not remember that magazine malfunctioning until this week at Camp Perry. Inspection revealed that the lips were starting to crack. This magazine was from a commercial GM from the 1940's or 1950's. It was of course a 7 rounder and was always loaded with 5 rounds. I suspect 100K through the magazine.
    I have to recommend a Metalform. They are not well known but they are one of the best and one of the least expensive. They make a lot of OEM magazines including Colt. I would not buy the $50-60 dollar magazines when the Metalform are available. Metal form is about 50% of the name brand mags. I have 4 Metalforms in my gunbox and two Wilsons somewhere.
    With that said most magazines are made to shoot 200 gn. SWC and 230 gn. Round Nose bullets. Some of the light bullets and some of the HP bullets may need something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Probably Checkmate, especially if they came from Joe's magazine mania.

Colt factory mags (also made by checkmate) are my go to for 7 and 8 rd magazines.

When I'm feeling flush I'll buy a couple Wilson combat 7 rd mags with bumpers. I have a big box of mags that I use, and if any start acting funny I will replace springs.

That is exactly where they came from. I ran a few more rounds through them today. Very nice.

CDRGlock
    The best mag is the one that works in your 1911.
    What CDRGlock said.
    McCormick & Metalform work very well in my Series 70, Springfield and Kimber. I'm not sure that there is a "Best" mag for the 1911, seems like it all comes down to what is reliable in your boolit launcher.
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

Boolit Grand Master
    There are too many bullet types possible to claim a single magazine configuration will feed them all with equal reliability.

If it feeds bullets no other magazine will feed, the problem may not be the magazine but rather the bullet. The McCormick Shooting Star will feed 185 SWC when GI magazines will not, but the same Shooting Star magazine is less reliable than a GI magazine with ball for a number of reasons the 'ol Chipster never bothers to mention.

Perfectly suitable and in fact more reliable magazines may misfeed ill designed bullets. This is a knowledge problem, not a magazine problem.

There are only magazines that work with your preferred ammo and ones that do not.

Take to time to examine the 1911's designer specified magazines and figure out why they are that way. Beware of some changes to that design and the downsides that come with change.

Banned
    I've been shooting 1911's for over 30 years+ To this day the only magazine I've ever had that will reliably feed the 200 gr and 185 Magma's is the Brownell one. I don't know who makes it. The Wilson and some of the others that I have tried have problems especially with the 185gr SWC. Like I mentioned the stock type mags simply will not feed either of my bullets for even a full clip load without a problem. The stock type magazine will feed the 230RN and most 200gr but not the Magma 200's because of the nose shape of that bullet.

Boolit Master
    I am still using some Chip McCormick Shooting Star stainless steel magazines that are 30+ years old and have some new McCormick and Wilson Combat magazines which all work great , I have used SWC bullets ranging from 155 gr to 200 gr.

Boolit Master
    I'd stop using the magma bullet, lol.

Banned
    I would if it wasn't so accurate. It beats the 452460 200 gr SWC bullet.
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 07-16-2017 at 07:14 AM.

Banned

I prefer wilsons. Chip McCormick and metal form are good too. But when I loaded for serious stuff its usually a Wilson in the gun.

Boolit Master
    Wilson Combat 7 or 8 rd magazines. The best.

Boolit Master
    I've been fortunate; have used a variety of magazines in a variety of 1911s. Everything worked fine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast