RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: ? about the rib on SBH hunters

? about the rib on SBH hunters

I was wondering how the rib on the SBH and bisley hunter SBH's are attatched to the barrel/frame of the gun, also if anyone knows of a cheap reliable 1-3x scope they would recommend and what scope is on the gun in the catalouge ? thanks a lot-Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master
    The rib is integral to the barrel. I have a Leupold for my SBHH, but I don't use a scope much.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

yeah, not a fan of them either, but before to long I might need to go to one. so I am just asking for in the future. hopefully I can get lasik before it comes to that. also I was thinkin, wouldn't it be helpful to put a small shotgun bead ontop of the front sight? I mean, that's how you are supposed to aim, I think it would help with precision a little. I can picture it in my mind, not sure how well it would transfer to real life. not that it would hurt anything tsince the front sight is replaceable.just a thought

Boolit Master
    Don't know if this would work for the SBH but when I was hunting with my Redhawk I used a rear peep blade and front bead--think the rear blade would work in the SBH don't know about the front...HTH

do you remember were you got the sight? also I have considered a red dott, I used to have one on a semi auto 22lr and it was really easy to use, even if you weren't looking straight into it, and the dot appeared off center in the screen it still shot to the red dot. that's probably the way I would go if I end up needing optics

Boolit Buddy
    I have SRH and SBH's and shoot just about everything up to 320 gr. None are showing any signs of wearing out after better than over 1000 bullets.[well over but I don't keep an accurate count] As far as sights go, if you are talking for hunting I use both red dots and 2X scopes. IMHO shooting at 100 yds with either doesn't make a dimes worth of difference. A 2X doesn't really help. [not enough magnification] and it is a lot faster to get a red dot on target. When you use a scope with enough magnification you lose field of view. FWIW I hope this helps.

FWIW, I have to have a scope to get a good sight pic(old eyes, doggone it) and if you shoot off a bag on the bench the 4x is fine, but when you are in a hunting situation, like shooting off of sticks or a mono pod, the wiggles are very distracting for me. A 2x is what I finally settled on because on the wiggle factor. If you are hunting deer sized game you can get a good sight picture at 100 yds. That's my self imposed limit anyway.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    I'd long had a Bisley with the top strap D&T'd for a scope so wan't new to optics. I thought the Hunter would be a great idea so bought one in 41 mag. But, I just didn't care for the scope over the barrel. It just threw everything out of balance and good luck finding a holster. Much happier with my original Bisley with the scope on the top strap.

Yep, the scope on the barrel is not the answer, for me, anyway. The placement of the scope on the Ruger SRH is the one that works best for me. With my 9 1/2" barrel, it balances perfectly and that long tube dampens recoil as well. As far as the holster, well I gave up on that. I ordered a 1 1/4" swivel stud from Uncle Mikes in Oregon and drilled the bottom of my grip frame and the cross pin that secures the grips to the frame. I cant remember which thread they were(8-32 or 10-32) but it was an easily purchased drill and tap set. Then I put a small washer between the stud and the rubber grip to keep from compressing it and bought a shotgun sling that simply loops around the barrel and has a swivel on the grip end. It makes carrying a big revolver easy and gives you both hands free to move to your stand.
    Last edited by murf205; 05-27-2017 at 07:56 AM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I love my 45 Colt BisHunter. I've packed it a lot in a Von Ringler Wyoming Combination holster. Kodiak Island Sitka Blacktail hunting, Sheep Hunting the Brooks Range and other hunts. I'll be packing it Sheep Hunting again this August. This scope is a 2X weaver. The Bisley Hunter and WyoCombo holster with your choice of scope is fantastic package.

With no scope sticking out over the hammer makes for a nice tight packable package.

WyoCombo carried around waist crossdraw above backpack belt. I packed it 30+ miles on a 10 day hunt this way.

You can see it sticking out under my raincoat. Buddy shot the ram with his 270. I couldn't get close enough on this hunt.

The 3 bucks I shot this year on Kodiak

110yds kneeling- braced

65yds standing off hand

38yds kneeling off hand

great deer!!! is it a 44? and what boolits/ load did you use. where they dead right there? I like the lyman429650 and think it would be cool to send it to eric ohler to have the mold hp'd and have him make som deeper cup points, you know, like the narrow half of an easter egg. I think that would give the perfect balance of expansion without fracture or limiting penetration. but yeah, I'd love to know what boolit you used

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    great deer!!! is it a 44? and what boolits/ load did you use. where they dead right there? I like the lyman429650 and think it would be cool to send it to eric ohler to have the mold hp'd and have him make som deeper cup points, you know, like the narrow half of an easter egg. I think that would give the perfect balance of expansion without fracture or limiting penetration. but yeah, I'd love to know what boolit you used
    Mine is a 45 Colt. I cast a 355gr wfn from a custom LBT mould. Water dropped wheel weights. 19gr LilGun gets me 1200fps. One shot kills on all deer to be expected.
    38yds was a quartering away raking shot. Entered just behind ribs exited in front of opposite front shoulder.
    110yds was a lung shot. Pass through of course. I caught him in the open grass, after hit he limped about 30yds back to the brush and fell over.
    65yds shot he popped up facing me after a 30min stalk. I shot him in the chest. Boolit traveled just under the spine, took part of the pelvic bone, grazed a tenderloin and lodged in his tail bone. He stumbled/fell down the hill about 20yds and piled up.

I shoot this boolit cuz there are Brown Bears on Kodiak Island. I want a boolit that will give me a fighting chance if I had to fight for my life. Alaska is no place for hollow point handgun boolits as far as I'm concerned. Heck, where else on the planet other than Kodiak do guys hunt little Sitka Blacktails with a 375 H&H?!

On another note though, I've worked up a 1400fps load with the 45-270-SAA boolit that drops 280gr. I plan on using it sheep hunting this year. Accuracy drops after 117ish yds with the 355er. So far the 280gr accuracy holds together out to 135 as well as decent trajectory. On this hunt I want the extra edge if conditions are right and it's "now or never" 130-150ish yd shot. But, I want to be less than 100yds. I also have a 4X Leupold on the BisHunter now. Same weight and dimensions of the 2X Weaver.

Here's the mould/boolit. I bought if off a fellow forum member here years ago.

Here it is next to a Cast Performance 360gr.

Boolit Master
    Here's the mould/boolit.
    Holy meplat, Batman

Snyd, that boolit looks like a hammer! No wonder those critters hit the deck quickly. You don't need anything else other that a sharp skinning knife! I am willing to bet that you would have to shoot a musk ox or a big moose from a frontal shot to recover a boolit.

yeah, that oughta do it! the nice thing about HP molds like erics and noes is you can always cast a pplain nose as well, do you think the accurate 290sg would work if I wanted to hunt moose in bear territory, oh it's 44cal.

or maybe the 43-290V right next to it, and also, which do you guys think would be more accurate, the v is a bit shorter, but leaves more room in the case , but the sg has more rifleing bearing surface,(not sure if I explained that right?)
    Last edited by Oklahoma Rebel; 06-08-2017 at 12:46 PM. Reason: to add a question