RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Lee sizing post scratches

Lee sizing post scratches

The post for my Lee sizing die is scratches up pretty bad. I noticed it today, no telling how long it's been that way. I then checked my other two posts and one has a single scratch and the other is clean.

I only noticed it because I was inspecting boolits and saw a ring on the bases where the post is not covering the whole base. I don't know if this will affect accuracy, I assume it will.

Is this a common problem? Anyone experience it before? I would attach pictures, But the site is not letting me at the moment.
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Boolit Master
    Never had that problem. Some wear marks but no real scratches and no issues with the bases. Is it possible you ended up with a pin for a smaller sizing die?
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Quote Originally Posted by BrutalAB View Post
    The post for my Lee sizing die is scratches up pretty bad. I noticed it today, no telling how long it's been that way. I then checked my other two posts and one has a single scratch and the other is clean.

I only noticed it because I was inspecting boolits and saw a ring on the bases where the post is not covering the whole base. I don't know if this will affect accuracy, I assume it will.

Is this a common problem? Anyone experience it before? I would attach pictures, But the site is not letting me at the moment.
    Could it be that you have switched the posts? One possibly too small and leaving a ring at the boolit base and the other a bit too snug and scratching on the die?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I've tried doing that on purpose when I misplaced my 357 a while back. Doesn't work. I have a .309 .357 and a .40.

Upon more inspection my post is clearly not round. I have damaged it somehow.

Update:
    The press I size with was causing the problems.
    The ram and die do not line up exactly. This caused the post to rub one side of the die.

New press and new size kit, no more problems.

Boolit Master

Congrats on finding the cause. Kudos for posting it.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    What press,dies and brass. Please elobrate as this will be very benificial.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Master
    I find that it pays not to tighten the post into the ram.
    That way, the post finds its own centre.
    ukrifleman

Boolit Master
    Ok so I'm going to assume that the term 'post' is referring to the die body. I've never in over 30 years of loading heard the term 'post' as part of a sizing die. At least by the description of your problem it sounds like your referring to the die body. The main reason your getting a ring at the bottom of the shell case is because your not setting the die all the way to the shell holder and not sizing the brass as completely as possible. Now, if my interpretation of your use of the term 'post' is incorrect and my assessment of the problem therefore incorrect, please explain to me what the post part of a die is and what it's function is. Never too old to learn something new.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
    Ok so I'm going to assume that the term 'post' is referring to the die body. I've never in over 30 years of loading heard the term 'post' as part of a sizing die. At least by the description of your problem it sounds like your referring to the die body. The main reason your getting a ring at the bottom of the shell case is because your not setting the die all the way to the shell holder and not sizing the brass as completely as possible. Now, if my interpretation of your use of the term 'post' is incorrect and my assessment of the problem therefore incorrect, please explain to me what the post part of a die is and what it's function is. Never too old to learn something new.
    "Post"probably means the pusher that pushes bullets into the bullet sizing die. This is not a brass sizing die.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
    Lee calls it a "bullet punch." It snaps into the ram where a shellholder would normally go and pushes a boolit through the boolit sizing die.
    http://leeprecision.com/new-lube-size-kit-.308.html

A little off topic but an alternate use for the bullet punch: I used a Lee .40 bullet punch with a Dillon sizing die for a while to push brass all the way through the sizing die to iron out Glock bulges. It took a LOT of pressure, as in body weight, on the handle of my RCBS JR2 and jolted me pretty hard as the web passed through the tight spot. Fortunately some push-through dies and pushers came on the market shortly after I started doing this and I won a Magma Case Master Jr. at a USPSA match for that purpose. Someone at Magma told me that they used Dillon dies in the CM Jr and diamond honed the die in it to remove the taper that Dillon put in it. That took out the tight spot I hit using the RCBS press.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Ok, duh. I knew I was missing something here. Brainfart.

Super Moderator

It probably happened because it was out of alignment. The proper way to align the size die it to screw it in, and insert a boolit on the punch. Raise the punch so the boolit puts some pressure on the die, then tighten the lock ring down.