MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxPBcastco
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just something to talk about

Just something to talk about

For you reloaders out there. When was the last time you shot factory rounds at the range? Or when was the last time you bought factory rounds besides 22?

For me, I have not bought factory rounds in he last 3 years. Those were 308 rounds when I got my first hi-power rifle. I think that I still half of the box of 20 that I bought. And those were probably the last factory rifle rounds that I shot. Most of my EDC hand gun carry rounds are factory Hydro-Shock, Silver Tip and some Winchester Lawmen that I have inherited and do not shoot them anymore. They we shot a bunch before I got back into reloading.
    When 223 was hard to get about 3 years ago I bought a bunch of them in 20 to 500 round boxes. The only box that I have opened was some federal green tip and may shot 20 of the 15. I prefer my reloads in every day carry.

I have enough not to worry about reloading the gun for the few range outings.

Now how about you?
    Last edited by KnotRight; 05-25-2017 at 08:32 AM.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Over 20 years.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Yesterday. Purchased some 223 wssm but in my defense I just purchased the rifle and do not have dies for it....yet. 8)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Does surplus count? Other than that about 6 months ago when I got my first pistol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The only factory rounds I buy are 30/30 because they are cheap.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Tapatalk

Seems like I bought a box of .30-30 a few years ago because I didn't have all the components together yet.

Boolit Master
    I purchased some bulk 5.56 55 gr. fmj for a price that I couldn't reload them for. I also purchased a few hundred 64gr. Speer/CCI soft point 5.56 to have for ready use. When I bought my AR a couple of years ago.

I have a 7mm Remington Mag, that I purchased in '77 that has never seen a factory round. Same for my 6mm Model 788, also purchased new.

Perma-Banned
    I bought a 7MM-08 for my wife and 2 boxes of factory ammo in hopes it would shoot them well, deer season was a week away, i didn't want to start working up a load for it in that time, turned out the rifle HATED the factory shells, The same day i found out it wouldn't shoot the factory ammo I ended up running over to a big sporting goods store and buying everything i needed to load for it. The VERY first load i turned out produced true 1" groups at 100 yards, BIG sigh of relief! She killed her first buck with that rifle out of the Bathroom window! LOL, TRUE STORY!

Boolit Grand Master
    Two basic circumstances: Factory pistol ammo for my carry gun & when somebody gives me some factory for a rifle. All my hunting and target ammo is home rolled. Has been for decades.

Boolit Grand Master

Every new gun I get, gets at least one box of factory first. I'm not going to have a problem and be told it was my reloads that were at fault.
    Sometimes it's the most expedient way to get brass, as in the first .41 that I purchased.
    In my lifetime I have anticipated shortages and bought some inventory to carry me through. There also have been times that I didn't have time to load and shoot. The alternative was to buy and shoot.
    Since the money saving aspect is not my main reason to load, it isn't imperative that I shoot only hand loads.
    There was a time when I couldn't possibly have single stage loaded, all I shot.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master

I use factory in the carry guns because it was advised that if you do shoot someone with reloads the lawyers can have a field day, and I still buy 223 in bulk for much the same reason. I have started loading 223 but still feel more confident in a life or death situation using factory stuff, not that I have had a single problem with my reloads other than early on with the 9mm. all the training ammo and plinking ammo is home rolled.

Boolit Master
    .32 acp last week. I own two but don't shoot them often enough to buy dies.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I do shoot some factory ammunition in some of my guns.
    My son buys and shoots 9mm and .223 in bulk cheaper than I can reload it, so for practice and plinking rounds at the range that is what we use. I also bought a few hundred rounds of factory ammunition in .40S&W when I bought my M&P a couple of years ago. I had no dies, no bullets and no cases for what was a new to me caliber at the time.
    He and I both carry factory ammunition in our carry guns.
    I will on some occasions buy factory ammunition for a quick trip to the range when I don't have time for a reloading session.
    I shoot a lot of revolver in.357Mag, .41Magnum, .44Spl, .44Mag and 45Colt and haven't bought a factory cartridge in those calibers in at least 30 years. My son did buy some .357Mag in bulk last year while I was laid up in the hospital so he could shoot some of my revolvers.

My son buys some rifle ammunition for cartridges that I don't have dies for but as soon as he or I buy the dies I will be reloading those cartridges for him as well.

Factory ammo -- .22 L.R. when and where available, building up my supply for next time they disappear from the shelf.
    9mm Luger, on the average two of the pricy little 20 round boxes per year to rotate/replace the ammo in my carry gun and extra mags with
    fresh rounds and then expend the replaced rounds in practice.
    Otherwise, it's been many years.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Due to a lack of availability of brass regionally , combined with a couple of sales . I bought ;
    100 45-70 , brass of course was almost immediately available after words .
    200 222 Rem $11.73/box after tax , 1 lot , good brass , why not .
    800 223 in 2 sealed cans , I question the source information but for $140 I couldn't load them so why not .

I've picked up a few boxes here and there but the round for round factory to hand load rates even with combined closeout seasonal sales since 1993 is probably very close to 5% factory , 95% handloads . I've bought 300 3033 Hornady , 200 270/120 SST , and 200 6.5 jacketed bullets since since 2007 . I have a 30 cal can full of gifted Hornady ,Speer and Sierra bullets in 6&7mm 25 and 30 cal and some 40 cal pistol bullets . If I hadn't kicked the can the other day I'd have forgotten them all together .

I do buy personal defense loads in 380 , 9mm , 38 Special +P & 40 just for CYA but Bush may have been in office when I bought the last of that .

A number that I'm 100% sure of is that since 1993 I've burned as many primers as I have on hand now and factory doesn't even come close to the to that , although it does make up about 50% of ammo on hand today . It includes 3 cases of shot shells and the best part of 2 more made up of leftover partials from assorted hunting trips of the last 10 yr . I set a goal for 1000 rounds per cartridge​ , I'm not there .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

I bought 2 boxes of factory rounds for my Ruger .480. I buy them whenever I find them. Shoot them to empty the brass so that I have something to reload.

Boolit Master
    I only buy ammo for my Concealed guns and only shoot that ammo for function testing and disposal when it gets old.

Other than that it's been 30-40 years more or less since shooting factory ammo. I just can't afford to shoot otherwise.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Moderator Emeritus

I have no idea when the last time I bought factory ammo...if buying vintage factory ammo at a gunshow counts? I suppose I bought some last year.

Back in my league days (1990s), before I was a reloader, I'd buy 9mm by the case.
    after I quit the league shooting, I still had quite the stash. I sold most of that to a co-worker during the first Obama buying crazy in 2009. I still have some. This Spring (March) when I was working up some new 9mm cast loads, I bought some factory stuff along to shoot for comparison...So that was 2 months ago, shootin factory ammo.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Outside of .22 LR and some Privi (7.5x55 and 7.62.54R) purchased from Graf's in 2010 (to obtain boxer-primed brass for my 96/11 and MN 91/30), it's been, at least, 15 years since I purchased any over-the-counter factory ammunition. I do, however, have a cache of milsurp and assorted commercial stuff accumulated through trades and estate sales (which includes a bulk carton of Win .38 Spl +P JHPs marked "Law Enforcement Only" gifted by a friend upon his retirement as an instructor at a police training facility).

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

For my hunting rifles , never ! All my deer rifles were handed down from dad or my pap all came with brass and have never shot a factory round out of either my Rem 600 35 Rem or a 1920's era 1894 src in 32 spl. While I've had other rifles like an SKS or other milsurp types and have bought factory stuff just for the brass I usually reload for them . I have one handgun that's my every day carry pistol I don't shoot it enough to reload for it so I just buy factory ammo
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast