MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Load Data
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: If you could have only one knife, which would it be?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Although I do not have an example of such, Im hoping the wife will get me a buck 679 for my Birthday or Christmas. Knowing what I know of it, i expect it'll be my favorite knife.
    so how did Santa treat ya?

Well, I ended up getting a case trapper with yellow handles. Good ol work horse.

Boolit Bub
    Older, USA made Schrade LB-5.

Boolit Grand Master

These are the three that I carry regularly.

Top is a Bemchmade Griptilian 551H2O. Blade is N680. It gets carried when hunting and that's pretty much it. It would not be the one I choose. But the larger blade has some advantages.

Middle is a Benchmade 535 Bugout. This would be the one that I choose. I bought it on a whim to see if it's light weight had any advantages. It disappears in your pocket due to the deep carry clip. The titanium parts do make a difference in weight. And I've found the S30V blade to be the best all around steel. It holds an edge well, is fairly easy to sharpen and I haven't managed to chip it. I don't fly w/ it unfortunately. I don't want to lose it if the TSA goes through my checked bags. I've lost other items already due to this.

Bottom is a custom Benchmade 556 Mini-Griptilian. Blade is N680 which I don't like. It chips easily and doesn't hold an edge well. That knife rides in my checked baggage. Even though it was custom I wont care if I lose it. Outside of corrosion resistance, which I don't really need since I'm never near salt water, I haven't found anything I like about N680 steel.

I plan on having another custom one built w/ a plain edge dropoint D2 blade. I have one w/ a serrated blade. I was using it as a pry bar and broke the tip off. It's actually a handy screwdriver for opening up electrical panels. D2 is easier to sharpen than S30V and holds and edge better IMO. I've never had an issue w/ corrosion. It's the one steel that I can get scary sharp w/ little work. It holds up very well as long as you use it like you're supposed to.

Picking one knife is like picking one gun. It's an exercise in futility and I'm glad it's something I don't have to do.

I like the 535. Nice look. I had a Barrage 580 for a while. The locking mechanism gave me some trouble and I sent it back several times.

Boolit Master
    Kabar
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Do you mean the kabar fighting/utility knife? I had a case xx brand kabar style for a good while, it was nice.

My father got me a really beautiful knife for Christmas
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0016.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	216049
    He bought it in Athens, and since this trip he actually only speaks of this place, he is very interested to buy property in Greece for business. He is a smart man, I trust he is doing the right thing .

That is an interesting knife for sure Gael12. Never seen a handle like that.

I been carrying a buck 192 constantly since i got one, and Its balance and size is just about perfect for my tastes. Course I aint got to disarm myself or conceal for my work so I can carry a belt knife.

iv had this for 17years its been used and abused and i love it, if i could have one knife it would be it.

Name:	20180703_210506.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	223056

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    If I could have only one? Would have to be made by Randall.
    Yep, on my belt every day in a high ride sheath.
    A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    My old KABAR. (not a repro piece of junk). The KABAR's aren't fancy, but they are tough. "Purdy is as purdy does!"
    +one on the kabar if we are talking shtf scenario. A little big to use as a gutter, to much of a point for a quality skinner, but as a all around utility it’ll get most jobs done Adequately!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    A. G. Russell FeatherLite K-93 One Hand Knife. Cost @ $45. I have had one for 24 years. Finally this year the pin kind of busted out; I was quite depressed for a spell. Then a buddy suggested I call them. They had me mail it back to them, and in a couple of weeks they sent me a brand new one. I have used mine for everything from gutting out a deer to opening coffee cans, to you name it. They take a razor edge, and are as they say "feather light". I carry mine all the time.

Name:	K-93C.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	223058

Boolit Bub
    I have an old USAF survival knife and that thing is a tank. I guess if I did not have this one, I would probably go with a Tekna Wilderness Survival....but I just have a hard time shelling out the money they want for one.

Boolit Master

What are we going to do? hunt? Fish? daily carry?

1 folder for daily carry would be my spyderco Manix 2

1 fixded blade for hunting would be my spyderco Bradley Bowie

but... if I can have only one knife for everything it could be my Chicago cutlery boning knife in the custom sheath. An inexpensive knife that will fillet fish, field dress deer sized game and will serve well at the cutting board for food prep. Mora also has several knives that could make the short list for best all around inexpensive knife. The spyderco south fork would also be an excellent do it all knife. Up from there custom builders can make you what ever your hearts desire. prices could run from a couple hundred to the price of a used Cadillac

Interesting choices everyone. The buck 110 would be a good choice, and I carry one of them most of the time whenever im not carrying my 192. I am never without my leatherman tool, but I dont consider it a knife. I rarely use the blade.

There are 2 reasons I dont like a folding knife; they are hard to clean and wont take any abuse. I dont abuse my knife... but things happen, and when they do, I want my knife to survive. If you use your knife for any cooking or game processing, you'll have to wash it... and that is a pain for a folding knife in comparison to a fixed.

Other knives that I really like and would not be unhappy with if it was my only knife would be

buck 679
    gerber fixed gator
    gerber folding gator
    Helle Temagami

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    The one that is stuck in my back.........from life-long liberal friends that have now turned 100% against me since Trump took office.

bangerjim

Boolit Master

I cant live with only one. I need two. I a small 1 to 1.5 inch rounded blade that i mostly use for skinning. I have the Crikt. Then a medium length fillet knife. I have the Calcuta set. Works great for filleting and deboning. I sharpen them both once a year.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Quote Originally Posted by NoAngel View Post
    I don't know much about high end commercial knives. If I could only grab one [that I already own] it would be the one I just finished making out of a 50 year old meat cleaver. I don't knwo what kind of steel they made that old thing out of but I ruined a couple of brand new hack saw blades and both sides of a nicholson mill bastard file shaping the silly thing.

Lemme tell ya though, it took an edge that was darn impressive. It took a long swath of hair off my arm in a single pass.

Attachment 196257

Attachment 196258

Attachment 196259
    Awesome! Well done NoAngel.

My one knife would be ZT 0566. It's great for all-round use.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast