RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: If you could have only one knife, which would it be?

Boolit Master
    This one is my favorite one I have ever made, some one else owns it now but it would be the one . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	135-D.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	223216

That is pretty cool flint. What did you use for the blade?

Boolit Master
    Sorry it took me so long to get back to your ? Blade is 1095 handles are home made burlap micarta.

Here is mine. 5160 steel deferentially hardened and triple tempered. The blade is .250 stock and the scales are desert ironwood. Cutting edge a hair less than 4" and OAL is 9".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HvyTwn (1).jpg  
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Thats pretty cool too Chargar.

TEOTWAWKI my choice is fixed blade, Kabar.

Otherwise a Zero Tolerance 0350sw. Thick S30V blade. Secure lock open. One handed opening.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0_15492536856619212732852629881536.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	235240

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Everyones seen the "if you could have only one gun" question. Well I pose the question, If you could have only one knife, which one would it be?

I love my knives, and this may change, but I think the buck 192 vanguard would be my choice.

~Bazoo
    Why are people so fixated on a certain knife or thing for me even if I lost what ever fav knife I have made for myself it would be no big deal I am not one to worry about stuff I would just find a rock and brake it till I got one that had a decent edge when done throw it away and do it again when I needed one.

I know I am probably one of a kind knock off old school...

Boolit Master

6" semi-flex boning knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad666 View Post
    Why are people so fixated on a certain knife or thing for me even if I lost what ever fav knife I have made for myself it would be no big deal I am not one to worry about stuff I would just find a rock and brake it till I got one that had a decent edge when done throw it away and do it again when I needed one.

I know I am probably one of a kind knock off old school...
    Kind of think you may have missed the point. To me the question was not what knife/gun etc. would you cry over if you lost, but what one would you want of you were limited to just one (God forbid). My choices weren't based on what today's activities are, but what one is the "best" (IMO), most durable and useful one, since hypothetically you can only have one. If i lost it, i wouldn't be a broken man, I'd just go buy another.

It's the internet, opinions vary. It's entertainment. YMMV.

I carry at least 2 folders every day, A Swiss army knife and a simple Buck folder with a liner lock 2 3/4" Blade. But if I could only have one Knife and I had to get rid of All the others I would keep my--- Gerber Strong Arm or Mora Garberg.

I had to look up the Gerber Strong Arm, thats a nice looking knife.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I have the Buck folding hunter my dad bought for my pap when buck first started making them . No model number just Buck and USA . Not really my favorite but I could never let it go so it would be the folder I would keep . A 1960's era Randall #1 in a non folder .

Eddie
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    One knife for all purposes, not nearly as broad as 1 gun for all purposes. It'd be a lot harder to make 1 gun do everything, but a person could carry skin all different kinds of game, defend themselves, build a fire, cut a package open and cut up supper on the plate all with the same knife.
    I will go super literal and say something that shares a blade with my razor. Gonna be hard for me to shave otherwise.

Boolit Buddy
    One knife for all situations? It would have to be a largish folder since not practical to carry fixed blades everywhere. I would probably opt for a Buck 110 Slim Pro. Large blade but light and slim enough for pocket clip carry. One hand opening and strong lock back. S35VN Steel. Or a Spyderco Manix 2 XL.

If this was societal crash and a fend for yourself world then I’d go with my Fallkniven S1 5”. Large enough for anything I would use a knife for yet still super nimble and easy to use on smaller tasks. Or possibly one of many excellent 4” knives such as Fallkniven F1, White River Tom Mack Hunt, or Bark River Bravo 1, or Morakniv Kansbol or Garberg.

Attachment 247329
    Click to enlarge.

One? Just one? Well, then, since I've never been called on to skin a buffalo or griz........I guess I'll take this Boker trapper, which does about 85% of what I need to do.

I think you could probably handle a buff with that Der Geb.

I have been carrying a case trapper as my pocketknife and find it to be pretty capable.

Trappers are a pretty good choice. Maybe too large to clean fingernails, and too small for the buff, but good for lots of chores in between like fish, small game, cutting up that tough steak, etc. You know how fellows who use snuff carry a round can in the back pocket of their Levis constantly get a round faded and worn imprint of the can on the pocket? I've got one of this knife on most of mine -- seldom without it.

DG

My EDC is a Gerber Multi plier or a leatherman, but for a hunting knife, I carry a Russell belt knife for rough work around camp , and a folding Puma Jaegarmeiser (sp?) my father gave me in 1992.
    It has a gut hook, skinning blade, saw, bird hook ( never used that one LOL ) and of course being German - a cork screw!
    David
    scopes and bags are cool, but palm rests 'n' irons RULE!

Buck 110 or a Case xx,I know you said one.
    A blessing is everyday I wake up,after all i've been through in this lifetime!

Oorah,Semper Fi.

Boolit Master
    Have a hard time figuring why I could have only one, homeless??? I dont know, if I have on pants I have a knife, if I am hunting or fishing I have at least 2. If I were planning to only have one knife it would be a faithful rebdition of a Kephart in 1095 or 5160. I I was shipwrecked like Gilligan and Mary Ann, it would be a quality 3 inch linerlock with a very traditional(nontatical, non goofy) blade, cause that is generally whats in my pocket. CRKT for the past 5 or 6 years. I have a Spyderco, one of a very few knives that i dislike, intensy. Might be a benchmade, or Bestek. The Besteck hasent been around but a few months but is proving itself, cheap like30$ but D2 with a GOOD heattreat. Checked 60rc and blade is holding a good edge, even palmed rgru squirrel leg bones. I don't carry anything that won'hold up to hard use and it has to be easy to sharpen. Was a Kissing Crane trapper for decades, then a SAK, now I like the single blade linerlocks. Still, one knife by choice would be a fixed blade Kephart. Oh, and an axe ain't a knife so I can have one of then too, along with a small hunters axe.
    Last edited by rking22; 12-11-2019 at 12:15 AM.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast