RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have you read the entire bible ?

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    This is not correct. Each passage of the Bible has only one meaning. The meaning (interpretation) is what the original author intended to convey to the original audience. Once you arrive at the proper interpretation, you can make many, many applications. The only exceptions are certain prophecies. But even then, biblical authors must explain the secondary meanings for us to be sure.
    I believe you could be wrong , scripture can be malleable in situational circumstances . A hard subject to discuss as each 'situation' is unique . I understand the limit of your thought but I am allowed latitude in my church to within reasonable parameters to apply or discover meaning for myself . Scripture is multifaceted , giving the seeker awareness of encouragement or solutions . Just an ...agree to disagree situation . But I do understand your belief . Thanks !
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
    I believe you could be wrong , scripture can be malleable in situational circumstances . A hard subject to discuss as each 'situation' is unique . I understand the limit of your thought but I am allowed latitude in my church to within reasonable parameters to apply or discover meaning for myself . Scripture is multifaceted , giving the seeker awareness of encouragement or solutions . Just an ...agree to disagree situation . But I do understand your belief . Thanks !
    What I stated is the standard principal to properly interpret scripture that is taught in universities and seminaries and practiced by serious scholars. If you don't adhere to this you can get all kinds of crazy interpretations. If you understand why the author was writing and to whom, you should arrive at the same (or pretty close) understanding as anyone else using sound hermeneutical practices.

Look at it this way, if I write a letter to someone I have one message for each idea I present. If a reader wants to and discover his own "hidden meanings", he will not receive my message--the reader will be making up his own.

Each passage of scripture has only one interpretation, but countless applications can be made to a contemporary person's life.

I understand , we may agree more than I perceived . I see so many that are dependent on as you describe the original intent of delivery to a specified situation or cause . GOD's word as given to us is all encompassing in it's guidance and prospective . GOD does not leave us blowing in the wind . I quote your last sentence ;

Each passage of scripture has only one interpretation, but countless applications can be made to a contemporary person's life.

I believe we agree . Thank you

Boolit Buddy

Have read multiple times. Currently teach Sunday School to jr High. A good challenge to keep them interested -- topic this quarter is 10 commandments. Started current session beginning of April, currently on #6. I believe it is essential to have an understand of the OT to interpret the NT. The OT has so many illustrations! Still learning!!! Learning by reading, learning from the well schooled, learning from the not so well schooled and learning from those new to it!

The old testament is the foundation for the new testament . Churches that only teach the new covenant fail their members . You must understand what has come before to understand what is now .

How can you understand that Christ is trying to change

the world he lived in if you don't understand that world ?

Dang it ..I'm preaching , sorry .

Just think , talk to GOD . Give it time . He will work in your life .

Boolit Master
    the first time I tried to read cover to cover I was around 8 I hit a road block in the he begots the nexed time I was in my early teens I struggled trew the measurements of Noah's ark but had to go when I hit the ark of the covent in my early twenties Job did me in in my mid 40 I finally made it all the way threw the key fr me was i started in acts in was a much easer read by the time I made it to the Old Testament reading had become second nature I strongly recommend starting in the new testement
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Master
    Ha now that's funny I guess we were typing at the same time

I guess it worked for me becuse I did understand the past I forget not everyone was raised in the church
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Never straight through cover to cover. And it is Time. I have the time, (really what doesn't) but i have extra free time. And it might actually do me some good. Thank you sir for the impetus!

Your message of the good news is taught first rl69 . Not wrong but we have to understand the old testament to appreciate that message . You did well .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by corbinace View Post
    Does it count if my wife and I traded off reading it aloud to each other? If so, yes, one time cover to cover.
    This is awesome! I have read 2 chapters out loud with my wife most weekday mornings since 1997. Part of my ministry to her plus it causes great conversation. I do have to admit that after the first couple of times through, Numbers & Leviticus don't get read anymore.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

I usually read the complete Bible about every 10 months. I change translations each time and about every 4th or 5th time I will use a chronological version. It is a great way to start your day. Right now I am reading through a version called The Jewish Study Bible that my wife gave me for Christmas. It is taking a little more time and thought, but is is worth it.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Banned
    Yes, I read it through once. Finished in 1986. I used to read some every day, hadn't missed a day in over 5 years. Now I only read once a week or so except for the "Verse of the day" stuff on the internet. I believe that God reveals himself through the Word. And through the intimacy of prayer. Without gaining our knowledge of God through the Word, we are apt to make up attributes of God that are not true. If we worship a God that we conceive in our own mind it is akin to idol worship. Therefore I believe that it is imperative that we gain our knowledge of God through his word. And continue to refresh and reinforce that truth throughout our lives. Perhaps so many "Christians" do not really know God is because they do not read his word enough.

I could never get into it until I got the NLT version. Now I'm about a third of the way through (Job) and like reading it a couple times a week.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    This is not correct. Each passage of the Bible has only one meaning. The meaning (interpretation) is what the original author intended to convey to the original audience. Once you arrive at the proper interpretation, you can make many, many applications. The only exceptions are certain prophecies. But even then, biblical authors must explain the secondary meanings for us to be sure.
    Point well taken, Ick, but I've found many passages have other meanings IN ADDITION to the main thrust of the primary message. This is a wondrous circumstance, when so many, many passages illuminate and clarify and expand on other passages! Only a true God could have left us this kind of book to guide us! Context is also sometimes left out when someone WANTS to find a certain meaning. It's just "human," I think, to read into whatever we read some meaning that we WANT to find, and are too lazy or inept to look up more diligently. I think this causes many unnecessary and dysfunctional arguments among believers. We seem to find ways to argue over the most precious things! It's as though we're addicted to arguing, and to whatever we WANT to believe at times, and that's not, in my reading of the Book, what we're supposed to do.

Often, when reading one passage, I'll think of another similar one, and I'll set about comparing the differences in the shades of meanings and applications, and what makes them alike, and what makes them similar. This is the "meat" I've longed for, and had such a hard time finding. I doubt anyone, if they lived to be 200, would EVER soak up all the meanings in the Book. I don't believe we're cut out to do that, really. And I think one of the reasons we're advised to "study to show thyself approved" is simply because if we stay busy doing that, we're MUCH less likely and apt to err, or sin. Most of our problems, I think, come from NOT using the most excellent advice and instruction in the Book. Just MHO, of course, and YMMV. But it's what I've found, if anyone is interested.

Boolit Master

Ichisrulz is speaking about exegetical interpretation and Blackwater eisegetical interpretation. Eisegetical is is not wrong unless it discounts the exegetical.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Grand Master

You might define the terms. I know them, but would have to look up the formal definitions. Gotta go to work instead.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    Ichisrulz is speaking about exegetical interpretation and Blackwater eisegetical interpretation. Eisegetical is is not wrong unless it discounts the exegetical.
    I think BW is talking about comparing different passages of scripture with one another and also application of scriptural principles. This happens when you read the Bible. But the number one guiding idea is that the biblical author had one meaning he wanted to convey.

Examples of these other "meanings" he has found would be helpful in fully understanding what he is getting at.

Moderator Emeritus

All points well taken here. And I think Craig has the essence of the appearance of a difference between us. Semantics DO make a VERY large difference in what we hear, vs. what message is sent sometimes. But it's good, friendly and serious discussions like this that can overcome such apparent differences. I love this place because we CAN discuss our differences in a very much Christian manner! Places where we can do this are pretty rare these days. Thanks to No. 1 again for providing us with this section of the board! I've learned something from everyone who posts here regularly. And if we're not continually learning, we're inevitably shrinking in our knowledge and understanding of the Word, and our mission.

A Commander doesn't send our Navy Seals out without ensuring they ALL have a good and correct understanding of their mission, and the priorities involved, and the dangers they may face. So, we need to equip ourselves in the same sort of manner if we're to defeat Satan's influences in our lives. And division among us Christians causes the Evil One to laugh and dance and sing! I think I just heard him droop! What a good day this is!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    Eisegetical interpretation is always incorrect. Eisegesis is not proper application either since in order to apply something to your life you need to understand it first. Rather than explain this in my own words, I will give the following link.

https://www.gotquestions.org/exegesis-eisegesis.html

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    All points well taken here. And I think Craig has the essence of the appearance of a difference between us. Semantics DO make a VERY large difference in what we hear, vs. what message is sent sometimes. But it's good, friendly and serious discussions like this that can overcome such apparent differences. I love this place because we CAN discuss our differences in a very much Christian manner! Places where we can do this are pretty rare these days. Thanks to No. 1 again for providing us with this section of the board! I've learned something from everyone who posts here regularly. And if we're not continually learning, we're inevitably shrinking in our knowledge and understanding of the Word, and our mission.

A Commander doesn't send our Navy Seals out without ensuring they ALL have a good and correct understanding of their mission, and the priorities involved, and the dangers they may face. So, we need to equip ourselves in the same sort of manner if we're to defeat Satan's influences in our lives. And division among us Christians causes the Evil One to laugh and dance and sing! I think I just heard him droop! What a good day this is!
    Are you saying you use and eisegetical approach to the Bible?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast