Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have you read the entire bible ?

Boolit Master
    Honestly? Yes. Several times. One church I used to attend had a contest of sorts, complete with a schedule, to help the members read through in a year. Some ladies did it in less than a month. It took me about three months to do it. Numbers was difficult, as everything was repetitive, and a lot of times I'd start reading and in short order I'd fall asleep. I bought a Bible a few years ago that was written like the original KJV and have yet to get out of the Old Testament. That is a difficult text to read.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Had to read it for confirmation and have read it two other times.
    But to muddy the waters even more, I've read the Bible as "WE" know it. But I doubt anyone has ever read the entire Bible as God intended it to be.

Does it count if my wife and I traded off reading it aloud to each other? If so, yes, one time cover to cover.

Cast Boolits Owner

Thread cleaned up - Please continue on.

Take care,
    Robert
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Thank you .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Master
    Yes sir
    corbinace yes it counts maby even more
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

No, I have read chunks of it. I have waded all the way through parts of it.

But I have never sat down to read it.

Charlie if you do it I will.

Anyone else?

Boolit Master

Yes I have read it through.

Yes. Many times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've read it cover to cover twice. Once when my father challenged me ("You can read James Bond after you read the Bible.") and then again later for the content. Of course bits and pieces occasionally. I think it's time for a refresher course.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Boolit Grand Master

To be honest, I have tried and failed many times, the reading programs seemed random and without purpose and I couldn't get through. Then I picked up a One Year Chronological Bible and read it through in two months. Since then I've read that one through twice more. It makes sense to me, but then I read history as a hobby. Getting it in chronological or historical order just made sense.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Yes, many times over. I make it my habit to start over when finished and begin again.

And I study various sections as the Holy Ghost leads me. The Psalms are a constant source of comfort, wisdom and praise to the Lord in my life. I also try to read Psalm aloud every day in my house, as a blessing.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Years ago in my youth, now I go back as the Spirit moves me!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by No_1 View Post
    Thread cleaned up - Please continue on.

Take care,
    Robert
    I guess I missed something after my reply?

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Nah , not really .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Moderator Emeritus

In all honesty, I'm not really sure. I've started out to read it though a number of times, but always got rather disappointed. Mostly, I've just read the parts that interested me and that I could relate to, and that I was seeking deeper understanding of. I just found goal oriented reading much more fulfilling than just reading it through like one might do with a novel. It just never really worked for me to read it like a novel, and seemed to my rather dull head like an exercise in futility to read without a purpose and a goal. So .... though I haven't heard anything quoted, nor read anything that was new to me, I can't really answer your question without being unsure. So I guess my answer has to be a "maybe???"

My greatest and deepest understandings, though, have always seemed to come from commentary, like C. S. Lewis and G. K. Chesterton, and a few others. They are probably what I'd call "biblical scholars," and can point out things to me that my simple reading through the words would never have revealed to me. And I don't honestly know if my method is the best or the worst, or somewhere in the middle, but I seldom get "lost" in questions like that, and just try things until I find something (or someone in the case of authors) that works for ME. After all, reading it and mulling over what it says, IS one of the most personal things we can do. And I find it fascinating how 10 people can read the same passage and come up with 10 different interpretations of what it means. I've found something good in almost all the interpretations I've heard, too, providing only they were genuine analyses and not just spouting off "the usual" sectarian interpretations.

IMO, I think the Bible is a book that has, in each passage, many meanings, and I am pretty sure none of us really "gets" them all. But it's our job and our pleasure to try. What would life be without a genuine unending quest?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    IMO, I think the Bible is a book that has, in each passage, many meanings, and I am pretty sure none of us really "gets" them all. But it's our job and our pleasure to try. What would life be without a genuine unending quest?
    This is not correct. Each passage of the Bible has only one meaning. The meaning (interpretation) is what the original author intended to convey to the original audience. Once you arrive at the proper interpretation, you can make many, many applications. The only exceptions are certain prophecies. But even then, biblical authors must explain the secondary meanings for us to be sure.

Boolit Master
    I have read many sections, just not the complete Bible. Since I got a Amazon tablet and downloaded the KNJV application. It has been my bible. With the big text and backlite screen its easy to read.

Boolit Master
    Yes, once, overdue for it again. NT several times.

Yes, read through cover to cover once... Wanted to get my own interpretation on it. Got what I needed out of it at least. Don't know if I'd do it again in order like that.
    Last edited by Snow ninja; 05-25-2017 at 06:52 PM.
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast