RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
PBcastco RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Martini Cadet Ideas

Boolit Buddy

A personal observation. Martinis seem to be habit forming. (Maybe both solid and liquid.) I was fortunate enough to land a very nice Greener GP for a 1970s price. Then along came a Victorian era Martini action. While contemplating that build I came across this little gem. They seem to be getting harder to find and very pricey so I jumped on the Cadet. No sooner did I get this one and another large Martini was given to me.

They seem to be following me home.
    Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
    An armed society is a polite society.
    Just because they say you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you!

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Rifles following you home? That's an enviable position to be in

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

They do follow you home. I bought this BSA thick-walled target rifle for a project last year (5.6x50mm Rimmed) but it still shoots so well at 50m it would be a shame!

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Buddy

Now I know what that rear sight I have kicking around goes on. Thanks.
    Dave

Just because they say you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you!

Boolit Grand Master

Mine is a austrailian martini cadet the small action, that was a 32 caliber rifle for cadets. Its been rebarreled to a 218 bee cartridge as I didn't want to be forming brass or reworking brass for it. Its a standard 218 bee and does everything I ask of it. One draw back is 218 bee brass is getting harder to find ( I have 500 cases here 200 are on 3rd loading and the rest are brands new unfired Winchesters. So I'm good). These rifles were cheap in original condition and the 32 round wasn't readily available but Ive heard the chamber could be reamed to 32-20. to make it a shooter. Or they could be rebarreled. We see quite a few hwere with repurposed Remington and win 22 target barrels on them in 22 hornet and 218 bee

Boolit Buddy

Availability of brass is a good point. Once I decide I'll lay in brass and such, if I can find it, before I barrel and chamber.
    Dave

Great one for that Cadet would be the .30 Badger

38 cases are cheap and plentiful. Simple to neck down.

When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

And the Badger is sooooo fun to shoot . mine was sending 147 grain Sierra bullets downrange this past week . Everybody who shot it liked it , and the rifle it was in .

Jack

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Buddy

I have a Lilja 3 groove Palma barrel on the rack. The throat is shot out but that whole end would have to be cut off. Makes me lean more and more to one of the little .30 calibers. Guess I'll start pricing reamers and dies.
    Dave

Moderator Emeritus

FWIW, it might be really nice to make up a .22 Hornet or K Hornet. You could load it down for small game to .22 LR levels, or up to its full potential with cast for bigger stuff, and even use those funny looking "red" bullets to get 3000 fps with the lighter versions. The main thing about those sweet little Martinis is they're ... well, small. A neat, light gun made up on that action would be a great companion for a long walk in the woods. And most any caliber ought to do well in it, depending on what kind of critters wander the woods where you live. I've always leaned towards the small calibers, like the Hornet or Bee, but that's just me, of course. The .256 Win. Mag is another neat caliber. Hits very hard for the size ctg. it comes in, and with the right bullets, should even take deer cleanly and reliably with good shot placement. I had a Contender in .256 and loved it. I've often regretted getting rid of that one. It's much easier on the ears than the .22 hot rocks. Again, FWIW???

Quote Originally Posted by drhall762 View Post
    I have a Lilja 3 groove Palma barrel on the rack. The throat is shot out but that whole end would have to be cut off. Makes me lean more and more to one of the little .30 calibers. Guess I'll start pricing reamers and dies.
    If you're considering a 'small .30'
    Manson has the 30 badger reamer on file.
    As far as dies, it's all done with a set of standard 7.62x25 or .30 Mauser dies.
    Any 32/20 data will work including the Contender data that's floating around. Working with a chronograph, I have gone a good bit further from that and no ill signs.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Do I see some ateampted enabling going on here??

I am looking for a cadet action but will take the 20 cal VarTarg barrel off my X R 100 and convert it to rimmed 20 VT and make myself a very light walkabout varminter for the country I now habitually hunt for rabbits.

I am itching to do a stock in the Hagn falling block style

Last edited by Von Gruff; 05-26-2017 at 12:48 AM.
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Gruff View Post
    Do I see some ateampted enabling going on here??

I am looking for a cadet action but will take the 20 cal VarTarg barrel off my X R 100 and convert it to rimmed 20 VT and make myself a very light walkabout varminter for the country I now habitually hunt for rabbits.

I am itching to do a stock in the Hagn falling block style

Wow nice timber . Not sure that style of stock would suit a cadet action but would be ok for a large frame Martini due to the longer lever.
    My metal work is coming along nicely go about 20hours invested in filing , and sanding to 320 grit so far ,will progress through 400 and then 600 and a final polish with simichrome for a high gloss finish , then the blueing .
    mmmm tried to upload some pics but cast boolits seems to be uncooperative at the moment

Boolit Buddy

I think we are all co-dependent. LOL.

Treebone Carving has some nice stocks for the Martinis, both large and small.

On this cadet I have decided to go with a .30 caliber. It will be based on one of three cases: .38 Spl, .357 Mag or .357 Max. I like the .30 Badger idea because I can reload with readily available dies not $90 customs.

Can anyone tell me if there are similar WCs in the .357 Mag/Max brass and what they are named so I can choose the reamer I want.
    Dave

I seem to be drawn in to two options: first is the .218 Bee in some form, maybe Mashburn; second is a .30/.32 caliber in the size/length of the .357 Max. My daughter is only 7 so I want to keep it relatively mild.
    If you are building this rifle for a 7yr old ,why not stick with the 310 cartridge , its a fun cartridge to shoot and easy to reload . Lee have the die sets , RCBS has a heeled mould or CBE here in OZ makes top quality moulds .310 brass is avalable from Bertram ,or use 32-20 brass trimmed .
    I have a martini small frame sporter in 310 , my kids used to love shooting it ,both my kids have grown and moved to larger calibers , I still shoot my 310 on occasion and enjoy it ,and it brings back memories of fun times.

Boolit Master

I think we are all co-dependent. LOL.

Treebone Carving has some nice stocks for the Martinis, both large and small.

On this cadet I have decided to go with a .30 caliber. It will be based on one of three cases: .38 Spl, .357 Mag or .357 Max. I like the .30 Badger idea because I can reload with readily available dies not $90 customs.

Can anyone tell me if there are similar WCs in the .357 Mag/Max brass and what they are named so I can choose the reamer I want.

All three of these stocks came from Treebone Carving. Next winter I might get another for my #15 22 BSA Martini. The stock on that thing is original and has been drilled multiple times in the forearm for slings. And not filled very well. It is so accurate it deserve nicer wood.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 357 Martini 002.jpg   Small frame Martini 001.jpg   71' Rolling Block 001.jpg  
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Thats some very nice timber on those rifles. I ve been looking at his website for some time wondering what the timber would be like .Nice to see some finished . His prices are reasonable ,but postage to Oz adds more cost. Most of the gun dealers here import his semi finished stocks and resell them at a premium. I see he now offers straight hand stocks which are my preference for the small frame martinis .Might have to shell out for a couple .

I've heard rumors of a "long neck" Badger , I think it's based on the .357 case but I'm not certain . Regular Badger is long enough to cover the grooves for me , I imagine it does have a benefit to it though .

Jack

Black Rifles Matter

I recently traded off a nice Aussie BSA Cadet, chambered for 22 Ackley Jet- off 357 case. Had a
    Douglas barrel and Fajen custom wood. 22A-jet was a hot little number and accurate. Ejection
    and loading no problem. Shot mostly 40 & 50gr bullets.Attachment 196678

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BigEyeBob View Post
    Thats some very nice timber on those rifles. I ve been looking at his website for some time wondering what the timber would be like .Nice to see some finished . His prices are reasonable ,but postage to Oz adds more cost. Most of the gun dealers here import his semi finished stocks and resell them at a premium. I see he now offers straight hand stocks which are my preference for the small frame martinis .Might have to shell out for a couple .
    Nice guy to deal with, When I got that stock for the roller I was looking for some nice burl walnut and he suggested the curly maple since it was the base price and would look good and the walnut would be another $75. To say that I was tickled when I saw it is an understatement The stocks are inletted and are pretty quick to get them to the final fit.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast