MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casting with hardball

Boolit Mold

Casting with hardball

Hello from upstate NY..... I'm getting into casting for my Ruger SBH .44mag which I slugged and came up with .431 cyl throats, .4305 bore and .430muzzle. Rather than try to figure out a mixture, I thought I'd use RotoMetals hardball. They say it's a 16bhn. Now, I'm going to be using Lyman's 429421 mold and try and duplicate Elmer Keith's load with Alliant 2400. My questions are.... will a bullet with a 16bhn be good for hunting applications? How fast will I be able to run this bullet without leading? Would I need to use gas checks? What size mold should I be ordering? Thanks!

Boolit Master
    Let me start off and say that your bullet hardness is good. Leading is dependent on several factors, and bullet hardness is not always one. Your chosen mold does not accept gas checks. With .44 mag brass using a 429421 boolit and 2400 powder, start off with 18 grains to see how things work. The cast slug will need sizing and lube. Try sizing to .432.

Welcome to the forum.

Ok guys, help out the new member.

Boolit Master

Hardball isn't necessary for your application, 50/50 ww/pure would be fine. However, you need to size to your throats. Welcome aboard!
    Last edited by Bzcraig; 05-23-2017 at 10:41 PM.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

One doesn't always "need" to size but it does make a significant difference in accuracy. All bullets the same size really helps. Lee makes inexpensive sizers, and NOE also has a wide range of push through sizers. I would try tumble lube because it is fast and easy, if you have leading you might look into powder coating. Really works well in my 357 magnum and good in kids 44 magnum but those are mild loads not hunting. More like a 44 special.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master
    not sure you need to go that hard
    ol Elmer used an alloy of 16-1 lead tin among others for
    44 magnum hunting loads I believe that alloy was around 11-12 bhn
    gas checks make it easier and hard alloy does not guarantee your load will not lead
    it may make it worse
    try and size to your throats and work up a accurate load use a good lube
    and you should be on your way
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    not sure you need to go that hard
    ol Elmer used an alloy of 16-1 lead tin among others for
    44 magnum hunting loads I believe that alloy was around 11-12 bhn
    gas checks make it easier and hard alloy does not guarantee your load will not lead
    it may make it worse
    try and size to your throats and work up a accurate load use a good lube
    and you should be on your way
    What he said!

I used to cast for my 44 mg with linotype! That said, after I learned to size to the gun I now cast with 50-50 Clip on wheel weights and softlead and have no leading. I'm using the same mold and 2400. Welcome aboard.
    NRA Benefactor Member

I seem to recall a member did some stuff on expansion with softer lead, also ability of slug to remain intact and not fragment giving up a lot of energy is dependent on not being so hard it breaks on impact with bone.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master
    I have shot many 1000's of the 429421 thru my SBH using plain old WW's (70's composition) without any leading. Loaded from 44spl level to hot 44 mag loads. Minimum dia. at .431" but the .432" sounds better.

you mean he should size his throats to .432? is that big of a difference considered nomal? when he said what his gun measured at, I thought," well that's about perfect, pretty lucky" please explain the ideal fit or measurements between the throats and the barrel groove dia.
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master

Same thing I thought.

.431 cylinder throats, .4305 @ breech and .430 @ muzzle ? Size 'em to .431 and shoot !

Am I misunderstanding something ?

Boolit Master

I have a SBH and shoot the same bullet and almost same bn. I get two inch groups at 50 yards, more from me than the gun. I've used 4227 and H110 behind that bullet 2400 should work just fine. I get 1180 fps from my loads and zero leading. We might be a bit too hard on the lead, but at 50 yards I wouldn't hesitate on a shot. You have a thing of beauty with the throats sized at .431 and the bore at .430. You may not have to even size, but pan lube and load them up if they drop from the mold at .431 or so. If you get the lee's sizing die measure the bullets I've had to polish out my Lee sizers.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Welcome to the forum Kid .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Agree with above, you don't need a hard alloy up to 1300fps or so. I run range scrap, about 12bhn, to 1300fps with no leading. My RBHBH is also 0.431" cyl throats & 0.430" bore. Still need to try my coated, just been too busy for a range test day.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Mold
    Ok so the general consensus is that a 16bhn is a bit hard. Being that the cyl measures .431 should I get a mold that measures .432 and then size the bulletin down?

I must have been asleep earlier, Lightload I thought you meant to have his throats sized to 432, I just realized that you were talking about sizing the boolit to 432, I agree!
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Grand Master

I too have cast and loaded for 5, .44 Magnums mostly with wheel weights. If your cylinder throats measure .431" it won't do any good to size your bullets any larger as they will leave the cylinder at .431". Each of my revolvers get sized to the same diameter as the throats, while are larger than groove diameters. I agree with the other members that 15/16 BHN is harder than necessary and I used alloy from 10/11 to 14/15 BHN for all loads including my Magnum loads. In my experience bullet fit is much more important than bullet hardness and I've even gotten some clean shooting bullets of 9/10 BHN.

I'm just thinking about "hardball". I believe that that term for cast bullets makes as much sense as "hard cast" (when I started casting cast bullets, of any hardness, they were called "cast", and soft swaged bullets were called "swaged". Seems like commercial bullet casters have added two new terms to our casting vocabulary. And what's the industry standard for "hard cast"? 16 BHN? 18 BHN? And what exactly is considered "hardball"?...).
    Last edited by mdi; 05-26-2017 at 12:16 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Banned
    What the heck is wrong with us guys thinking everything has to be harder, faster, bigger, stronger or more potent to be better. Look at what the legends of casting/reloading say about hardness. Bullets shouldn’t be brittle, they need to be soft enough to obturate “block up (the barrel); obstruct (gasses from blowing past the bullet).” 357 MAGNUM shoots great @ 7-8 BHN.
    http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chapter_7_Leading.htm
    Last edited by Grmps; 05-26-2017 at 02:36 PM.

Boolit Master
    I too think a "hardball" or "hardcast" alloy can be too much of a good thing. I've got boxes of hardcast bullets (it says so on the box��) and the only thing I do is mix it 50/50 with pure.

Boolit Master
    Hmmm---Now I am confused. I always thought "Hardball" referred to commercial full metal jacket bullets and "Hard-cast" referred to commercial cast bullets made hard for shipping damage control.
    R.D.M.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast