Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
PBcastco Load Data

Thread: Swaged PP .30cal bullets?

Swaged PP .30cal bullets?

I would like to know if anyone has had success in swaging paper patched GC bullets for their 30 cal milsurp rifles? The only limitation i see is the 10bhn limit for the swaging tools and press?? Its something i am very interested in trying. Thanks in advance, i hope i have posted in the correct area.
    THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN HIT THE CENTRE OF THE TARGET IS WITH A CENTREFIRE!!!

In Remembrance

Gas checks aren`t needed in paper patching when the patch is folded under the base of the boolet.Robert

But does that mess with accuracy, not having a flat bullet base?

Boolit Master
    I think you have a sound idea. I have swaged chilled WW metal, PP'd the result and sized to finished diameter with good results, certainly harder than 10 BHN. The swaging was done with C-H swage dies and a Lee Classic Cast press. I didn't have any castings small enough to patch and then enter the swage die, so I haven't tried that yet. There may be a bit of drag factor when extracting the patched/swaged boolit, unless the paper is lubed with something which allows easy extraction - aerosol Teflon, maybe? Just a thought. I have had good results with patched gas check design sans gas check by patching to the heel, using the bottom driving band as a "false heel" (no folding or twisting a tail) and with plain base boolits, just folding the paper over the base.

I have done tailless patching. Seemed to work. Probably best done with a gas check design sans the gas check as per yeahbub.

Swaging has been on my agenda and I made an alloy that is quite tough - fairly hard but not brittle. It flattens with a hammer without cracking in the edges. This alloy would need quite some force to swage but I don't intend swaging it a lot. My idea is to cast close to size then swage to final size and shape.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 05-25-2017 at 02:39 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    I have done tailless patching. Seemed to work. Probably best done with a gas check design sans the gas check as per yeahbub.

Swaging has been on my agenda and I made an alloy that is quite tough - fairly hard but not brittle. It flattens with a hammer without cracking in the edges. This alloy would need quite some force to swage but I don't intend swaging it a lot. My idea is to cast close to size then swage to final size and shape.
    Sounds interesting, keep us posted!

Too many questions......Just bought The Paper Jacket book by Paul Mathews on ebay!!

Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel033 View Post
    I would like to know if anyone has had success in swaging paper patched GC bullets for their 30 cal milsurp rifles? The only limitation i see is the 10bhn limit for the swaging tools and press?? Its something i am very interested in trying. Thanks in advance, i hope i have posted in the correct area.
    10 BHN is not a problem with the right swage press and die. I have swaged mono type with the Walnut hill swage press. (the blue press) The one to the right is a Dave Corbin press but the dies for that press in the larger calibers are a problem with the harder alloys. I have blown a .50 caliber die using that press and dies and Dave does not offer that die for the .50 anymore.
    If you want to swage one for your .30 caliber use a .300" diameter die not a .308 and it will shoot very well in the 03-A3 two groove barrel.
    Using a loading press swage die, the die is not the problem it's the press because of the long stroke ram they have. Using loading press dies I would look into a RCBS Big Max press. I used one for a long time. The toggle linkage can be modified with out a problem for a better power stroke so you don't need to put the weight of your whole body on the handle with a cheater bare attached to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    10 BHN is not a problem with the right swage press and die. I have swaged mono type with the Walnut hill swage press. (the blue press) The one to the right is a Dave Corbin press but the dies for that press in the larger calibers are a problem with the harder alloys. I have blown a .50 caliber die using that press and dies and Dave does not offer that die for the .50 anymore.
    If you want to swage one for your .30 caliber use a .300" diameter die not a .308 and it will shoot very well in the 03-A3 two groove barrel.
    Using a loading press swage die, the die is not the problem it's the press because of the long stroke ram they have. Using loading press dies I would look into a RCBS Big Max press. I used one for a long time. The toggle linkage can be modified with out a problem for a better power stroke so you don't need to put the weight of your whole body on the handle with a cheater bare attached to it.

That's awesome Leadpot! I have that same press, the Walnut Hill and .308 jacket die set, which I have not used yet! Jackets being the problem source! I am really interested in the PP bullets! I predominantly shoot .30/.303 cast GC bullets in service rifles. I cant believe a paper jacket allows for full jacket velocity! I may have to see if Richard can supply me with a .300" lead bullet PP die. I have ordered the PP bible......the paper jacket....so I will have a good read!!

Boolit Master
    The stickies in the black powder section on paper is compelling reading to.
    As well as the what works for me.

Cast bullet engineering has a mould as well as noe and a few others.

Be interesting if swaging the paper on the core in a die will yield the performance of finger wrapped stuff.
    I mean as to shedding off the core at the muzzle or not.

Quote Originally Posted by barrabruce View Post
    The stickies in the black powder section on paper is compelling reading to.
    As well as the what works for me.

Cast bullet engineering has a mould as well as noe and a few others.

Be interesting if swaging the paper on the core in a die will yield the performance of finger wrapped stuff.
    I mean as to shedding off the core at the muzzle or not.
    I assume its essential for best accuracy for the patch to shred like a patch on a PRB from a muzzleloader?

Do we crimp PP bullets? The YouTube videos i have seen this far apparently not, as some are thumb seating them in! They msy not like the rough ride from the mag to the chamber when things get rapid??
    Last edited by MaxJon; 05-29-2017 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Master
    Read the stickies

Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel033 View Post
    That's awesome Leadpot! I have that same press, the Walnut Hill and .308 jacket die set, which I have not used yet! Jackets being the problem source! I am really interested in the PP bullets! I predominantly shoot .30/.303 cast GC bullets in service rifles. I cant believe a paper jacket allows for full jacket velocity! I may have to see if Richard can supply me with a .300" lead bullet PP die. I have ordered the PP bible......the paper jacket....so I will have a good read!!
    Do you have a trim die? I do a 1.4 inch pure copper cup.

Jackets are not a problem if you are setup for swaging. Just go to your local Plumbing supply store and look for sweat caps or copper tibing close to the diameter you need or plumbing shop and go through his scrap pile and make your own jackets.
    Last edited by Lead pot; 05-30-2017 at 11:50 AM.