Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: 257 Bullets

Boolit Master

257 Bullets

I got this box from a friend. Maybe someone out there will know how old it is.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0910.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	196129

Boolit Master
    I would have thought someone would have some information on this box of bullets.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    All I can offer is that Vernon Speer went commercial about 1945 and the boxes were the green box with the little "rivet strip" corner metal reenforcement . In 1970 so that's a guide . If there's no lot number on it I'd venture pre 1955 but that's more an industry gut guess than any solid information ......... I read an article some yrs ago about him and the RockChucker press being originally​ for swagging 22s from 22 LR cases and lead cores. Details have been lost since .......
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

In Remembrance

As I recall that story of Vernon he worked in a small garage type building behind a laundromat making his bullets and an occasional press for his `Rock Chuck` varmit hunter friends. As his business grew he had to move to a larger building as he had to do several more times.Robert

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the information. I never saw a box like this before. there is no lot number on the box. I opened it and the bullets have a small depression in the base. The soft point is a lot larger than what we see on todays bullets. I will get some pictures when I get a chance.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have some of those in 25 cal. but 60gr round nose soft points. Was told made in the 50's

Boolit Buddy
    I have several boxes of those in .257 cal. I think 100 gr and 120 gr. They shoot fine in my 257 ROBT.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the info.

Boolit Mold
    I too have a similar Speer box, but in .30 caliber. These "spitzer soft point bullets " also have the distinctive depression in the base. These must be from the late 1950's or early 1960's when I first started reloading hunting ammo for my 1903 Springfield ( I'd buy 8 round M1 clips for 25 cents, pull the full metal jacket and replace with either these Speer or Herter's jacketed bullets). As Vernon Speer died at the end of 1978, my 1979 Speer Reloading Manual has a nice dedication and biography of him. Pertinent details are that he settled in Lewiston, Idaho in 1944 and "in that year he set up his first bullet making press in the basement of an old grocery store" using fired .22 rimfire cases for the jacket material and in his first year sold $6000 of them "in candy sacks". In 1961 he perfected his "double swaged, hot-cores method of making high performance hunting bullets"

Boolit Master

I've got several boxes of the same makings only 180 gr. RN .308. I wondered how old mine were too.

Vendor Sponsor

When I think of the Rock Chucker press I think of Fred Huntington, not Speer. Is my memory bad? Getting old and a bad memory maybe.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    When I think of the Rock Chucker press I think of Fred Huntington, not Speer. Is my memory bad? Getting old and a bad memory maybe.
    The 1979 Speer reloading manual datails the "CCI-SPEER-RCBS" relationship ... In essence, "Fred (Huntington) invented the compound leverage system which uses leverage straps that give tremendous camming advantage at the bottom of the ram stroke where it's most needed. This concept - in conjunction with the block O frame and removable shell holder were the unique features of the RCBS 'A' tool which evolved into the modern Rockchucker press in 1969"