Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Sharade Sharp Finger

Sharade Sharp Finger

I have a Sharade Old Timer 152 that was pitted and in tuff shape. What do you guys think so far? Looks like it will have a distressed look LOL. The case has been repaired and is in tough shape too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170522_213846.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	196122Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170522_213901.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	196123Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170523_081645.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	196124Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170523_081656.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	196125
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master
    I have one of those somewhere, they still offer it but imported now.

I had one of those many years ago. Lost it on a Boyscout campout. It was a good little blade.
    It's worth cleaning up. Would be a good but simple project. The handles look to be in pretty great shape. I would probably consider making or buying a new sheath for it though. Hard to tell from the pictures how rotten the leather is. If it's still sturdy, it could be cleaned and restitched.

bdicki is right, the new ones are imported.....and you get what you pay for when you get one.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master
    I really like those for cleaning deer, the older carbon steel blades are great, the newer stainless is garbage in my opinion. I bought one for my dad, and myself last Christmas and they will not hold an edge for nothing. I give mine away, to keep from throwing it away!

Boolit Grand Master

I have one here that also has the gut hook on the blade. Its carbon steel and holds a good edge for me.

Boolit Master
    I got one of those years ago, mine has a small plaque on the side that reads "Guns & Ammo" Got it free with a one year subscription to the magazine.

In Remembrance

Back when I sold knives I`ll bet I sold at least a dozen of them. One day I thought I`d try making one of these my way. I couldn`t keep up with demand as people liked my version better! I made at least 20 of them before I hung up my leather apron for making knives. An Amish leather worker made the sheaths for me out of heavy harness leather in a red color for a terrible cost of $7.00 per sheath.Robert

The handles are in good shape and the sheath is cut from the knife tip. And it has extra rivets because thread gave out near the tip of the sheath. A buddy found it in a field and gave to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    Back when I sold knives I`ll bet I sold at least a dozen of them. One day I thought I`d try making one of these my way. I couldn`t keep up with demand as people liked my version better! I made at least 20 of them before I hung up my leather apron for making knives. An Amish leather worker made the sheaths for me out of heavy harness leather in a red color for a terrible cost of $7.00 per sheath.Robert
    Was your version of the Old Timer a little longer in the handle and the blade? I think that would be neat and it would still have that good balance.

I have that belt sharpener with the 3/4 x 12'' belts and was sharpening it last night. It can slice grapes thin enough to see through now. I was wondering about the Strop process. If someone can explain stropping that would great. The belts I have are from Micro Surface finishing in Iowa and they are 100, 240, 600, 800, and 1200 grit, all MX's. The blade seems scary sharp after the 240 grit. When I continue to polish it must just smooth the edge and maintain the sharpness? Probably doesn't need to be that smooth for normal use anyways but it looks neat.

In a nut shell, when you strop a knife, most of the time against leather, you run the blades edge nearly flat and backwards against the strop once on each side for 10-20 times and it straightens the edge. After sharpening it will have a small burr on one side of the edge, and stropping straightens that burr out. You can strop at any point you wish to stop progressing through sharpening grits. Pends on personal preference. Nothing puts an edge on a knife quite like an arkansas oil stone though, in my opinion.

Nice work on the 152 by the way. I had one I lost in a housefire, that I had brought back. It had a blunt point, and was bout the same condition as yours. The sheath was bout like yours too. I ended up taking the sheath apart, and stitching it back together tighter. I wanted to replace the plastic handles with something else. Still would like to find one for a project sometime.

a free one

got mine for free with a subscription to Guns + Ammo in 1983 - i already had one so i threw this one in draw + it is still there unwrapped + unused
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

the sheath design was changed to make it safer after the first year of production - the newer style is pictured in post #12
    Last edited by schutzen-jager; 07-07-2022 at 04:17 PM. Reason: spelling
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin