Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: F-class with a 222?

Boolit Master

F-class with a 222?

I am thinking about giving F-class competition at my range a shot. It's fired only at 300yds, weekly. I love my 222 Rem rifle, it's accurate as all get out, but would I be handicapping myself by using it in competition at 300? I'm thinking wind might be too big a factor. Your thoughts? Thanks!
    I shoot so that I can handload.

Boolit Buddy
    I've shot 52 gr Custom Comps in service rifle at at 300 yds when I didn't have enough 77 gr CC loaded for both 300 and 600 yd stages. They shot OK, I didn't' however due to lack of a good 300 yd zero. A decent 2.5-3 MOA group in rapid prone isn't my best but acceptable, centered in the 8 ring at 1 o'clock wasn't as acceptable. But it was a windless day so the windage and elevation was all me. You'd be better off with 69 or 77 gr, if the 222 will shoot them accurately. Take what you enjoy shooting and have fun.

Boolit Master

My rifle is a Rem 700 and has a 1:14" twist, so I doubt anything over 52 grains will stabilize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to try a 500yd F-Class with my .204 Ruger, but people made me feel like I'd be crazy to do so, so I didn't.

I would get out there and try it. You might surprise yourself, and a few others while you're at it.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm only pushing the 52 gr CC about 2950 fps in my service rifle, that should be reachable in a 222 Rem. You'll get blown around a lot in a wind compared to a 5.56 with 77 or 69 gr, much less the 6 and 6.5 mm cartridges the others in the class will be shooting. But you'll have fun, that's the primary reason to go to local matches anyways.

Boolit Master

Very true!

Boolit Grand Master

The trick with this is to find the best load for a 50-55 grn bullet and then learn the trajectory and wind then read the wind and shoot on the same conditions. Matches arnt always won with high velocity flat shooting rounds or the best vld wind fighters either.We shoot out to 500+ yds with BP loads with cast bullets at 100-1250 fps, a lot of elevation to contend with a lot of wind to keep track of but it can be done. Your 222 rem with a 50-55 grn bullet at 2800 or so should be more than do able. Better would be a super rifle with 1-8 twist barrel for 75-80 grn bullets in a larger caliber but it wont gain you as much as you think.

Boolit Master
    My advice is to just get out to a match and shoot your best load...it'll take a couple of matches for you to decide if you like it; then go from there.

I don't know anything about F-class but if there are unlimited sighters allowde, bring plenty of ammo--my standard load out is 2 rounds for every record round to be fired.

Also have all your ammo loaded up at least a day or so prior to match day.
    ]
    Bring a stout well fitting cleaning rod and some solvent a jag and patches. Ya never know...

Boolit Master

My advice is to just get out to a match and shoot your best load...it'll take a couple of matches for you to decide if you like it; then go from there.
    Good advice. After a match or two, you'll be able to make a good decision on using the 222 or going to a higher performance cartridge as well as all the ancillary equipment like scopes, shooting mats, bipods and whatnot.

I'd also do some research on reading the wind by watching the mirage, range flags, shrubbery, etc. Once done, determine what your wind drift is for a full value wind (3 or 9 O'Clock) at 10 mph and then you'll be able to compensate for half value and faster or slower winds once you have that as a base line.

Your 222 pushing a 52 grain SMK at 2,900 fps will deflect about 15 to 16 inches at 300 yards from a full value 10 mph wind. That's a little over 5 MOA.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Ive shot a few "cleans" at 300 yd rapid prone stage in high power using 55 gr flat base soft points , not ideal but they worked that day , as others have said watch the wind and have a good accurate load . Shoot whatcha got and have fun
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Grand Master

I shoot 300 yard "F" Class also. The F Class target requires 1 moa accuracy at 300 yards to stay in the 10 ring. Most of the shooters here shoot 223 Rem rifles with 8 or 9" twists using 75 or 80 gr match bullets. I have a 9" twist Savage Competition 223. I have used 52 gr Match BTHPs (Speer, Sierra and Hornady) with very good success. You should do well with your 222 Rem with those bullets also.

When I had a couple 222s I found using H335 and working up to 25.5 gr under a match 52 gr HPBT gave excellent accuracy, especially at longer ranges than the older BR loads were used at. With such loads I got sub moa accuracy in my 222s.

Larry Gibson

I suggest H322 and the Hornady 52 gr Amax.
    Have fun!

Boolit Master

Read the wind better than the others and you will compete.

I learned the wind shooting Black Power muzzleloaders in bench and buffalo matches reading wind was crucial to compete. That shooting truly helped my modern matches.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelvis View Post
    My rifle is a Rem 700 and has a 1:14" twist, so I doubt anything over 52 grains will stabilize.

It may well shoot the Sierra 60 gr. hp which is a very accurate bullet and intended for 1:14. I have shot a lot of them for practice at 200 & 300 yards with good results and used them a few times in matches at that range (works great for off hand @ 200 yd.) as well as several times at 600 yards and they did fairly well. IIRC I shot a couple of cleans in the 200 yd. rapids using Rem. 7.5's and AA-2230 & VV-N140 and the 60 gr. This bullet has shot well in 3 different AR's all .223, 2 were 1:7 and a 1:8. You have o keep them about 2,750 in those fast twist barrels or they don't make it to the target sometimes...I have also shot it in a 26" Hbar, .22-250 bolt gun with a 1:14 and it shot MOA at 200yd.

Boolit Master

It may well shoot the Sierra 60 gr. hp which is a very accurate bullet and intended for 1:14.
    I may try a box of those and see, but wouldn't velocity have to be above the 222's abilities, more in line with 22-250s?

Boolit Buddy
    I don't know what the .222 can deliver with that bullet but if you can get 2,600 fps it may do well to 300. it's a flat base HP so length should be good to go for a 1:14 you will just have to shoot some to see. I will see if I can find my .22-250 info but was not at max loads. I think it was around 2,900 fps.

Boolit Master
    Try the 53gr V-max. It has the highest b.c. Of any sub 60gr bullet extant. My CZ-527 shoots them very well. Even though it's marked 1-14, actually measured it's 1-16.9!

So what do you think? Are you gonna try shooting a match with it?

Boolit Master

F-class with a 222?

Yep, I'm gonna try it first with the ammo I have on hand (50 grn Z-Max), and if I'm having wind problems try the 53grn V-Max and the 60 grn Sierra. It's much too sweet shooting of a rifle to leave in the safe.

Nice! Looking forward to seeing how you did.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast