Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Long nose 38special boolit with a C.O.L. of 1.580"?

Boolit Master

Long nose 38special boolit with a C.O.L. of 1.580"?

Awkward question and not really sure if this is the proper place for it.

My goal is to have a loaded 38 special round with the same Overall Length (O.A.L.) as a 357 Magnum in order to reliably function through my lever actions in Cowboy Action. My lever actions will only tolerate ammo between a O.A.L. of 1.570" and 1.590". I am thinking a target O.A.L. of 1.580" would allow for slight differences in case trim length and loading variances.

My load manual suggests a trim length of 1.149" and a max length of 1.155" on a 38 special case. We are looking at a boolit nose of about 0.431" above the crimp groove.

A nose profile with a RNFP seems to feed best and safest in lever actions. Perhaps something between 170-180gr?

First design is basically a modified Ranch Dog 190gr boolit. Same nose but I moved the crimp groove to 0.431" and gave it a single lube groove.

Second design has the meplat reduced in order to shed some weight but still be safe in tubular magazines.

EDIT: Here is my third idea. I put the second crimp groove back. First groove would be for use with 357 brass and have an OAL of 1.590". Second groove would be for 38 special and have a OAL of 1.580". I suppose these could also be deep seated in a 38 special in order to have a more normal OAL. I understand the idea of two crimp grooves is not new, but all the styles I have found online are close but no cigar.

Anyone else interested in boolit mold like this? Does anyone already make something like this?

Thoughts or recommendations?
    Last edited by 2ndAmendmentNut; 05-23-2017 at 06:55 PM.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Master
    Interesting indeed! I'm a sucker for .38/.357 molds, chalk me up as interested in a mold.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Elmer already done it decades ago. Kieth loaded both 44, and 38 special to magnum length. You just need Kieth bullets with the second crimp groove.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Accurate has 36-151H and 36-151HR as standard items which can be ordered now. These weigh 154 grains in 1:30 tin-lead and 151 grains in wheelweights. I use 151H mostly in the .38 S&W Webley & Scott, but it also works well in .38 Special. The 151HR variation has rounded corners for smooth feeding in tubular magazines. OAL is 1.55" in .38 Special brass, which is the SAAMI Max. OAL for this caliber. No need to trim brass, just load and go. A charge of 3.5-3.6 grains of Bullseye approximates factory velocity in .38 Special and 2.5 grains in the .38 S&W and .380 Rimmed 0.78".

Of course when you order from Tom you can tweak the diameters for your gun and alloy.
    Delivery is about 3-4 weeks. So, why wait for a group buy to form when you can get it now?

Attachment 196118Attachment 196119
    Last edited by Outpost75; 05-23-2017 at 06:30 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    So, why wait for a group buy to form when you can get it now?
    Thanks for the tips and ideas.

I've got 5 gallon buckets of 38 special brass. My favorite thing to shoot is my 357mag carbines. Unfortunately 38 special loads with an O.A.L. of 1.55" don't run very reliably. They work, but are finicky. Perhaps I am the only one with this issue, if so I will get with Tom over at Accurate and have him cut me a mold.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentNut View Post
    Thanks for the tips and ideas... Unfortunately 38 special loads with an O.A.L. of 1.55" don't run very reliably... but are finicky.
    What rifle are you running? Are you perhaps trying to run Keith SWCs and the shoulder is hanging on the chamber entrance?

RNFP "Cowboy" bullets of standard OAL should run like a pony trotting. I've heard of leverguns double-feeding .38 Special rounds shorter than 1.40" and jamming the lifter when longer than 1.60", but NEVER heard of any issues in ANY .357 rifle firing .38 Special cartridges of standard SAAMI 1.55" OAL.

Sure sounds like a gun problem and not an ammo problem...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Both a Browning 92 and a Rossi 92 have issues if I run the lever fast with 38 special ammo that is 1.55" OAL. 357mag ammo with an OAL of 1.590" runs beautifully at the same speed. SWC don't feed for nothing. Only been able to use RN and RNFP styles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 2ndAmendmentNut; 05-23-2017 at 06:48 PM.

New one on me!

36-178D has proven really accurate in .38 Special rifles, and has a bit longer .415" nose. When you order ask Tom to reduce thickness of base band to from 0.14" to 0.09" which would reduce OAL by 0.050" to 0.65" and weight should be real close to 160 grains.

Attachment 196131
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

After going through the catalog on the Accurate Mold website, it would seem the mold I am looking for is already listed as 36-175L.

Just placed an order with Tom. Thank you all for the comments and ideas.
    Last edited by 2ndAmendmentNut; 05-24-2017 at 10:22 AM.

That one got by me, didn't realize it was a double-crimp-groove for either .38 Spl. OR .357!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

I really like the second design.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Boolit Master

This one is designed for just that. FYI, the pic is not correct, it makes the bullet shorter than it really is. I measured one of mine and the nose is .400 from the crimp groove. Been working in Cowboy action guns for over 10 years now, not a new idea. It weighs about 158 grains.
    http://www.biglube.com/BulletMolds.a...0-6d4ee38b0030

In some long forgotten bowling pin site, someone posted a Lyman 358156 that had been lengthened. That kept the two crimp grooves for crimping in a .38 or .357.

I like the looks of that 36-175L As I'm shooting a Ruger 77/357 and a Handi 357 I can get away with a bit longer bullet than can be used in the lever guns. For 357 length 38spl heavies I've been using the NOE 360-200-FN RG2 mould at a COL of 1.655. A perfect fit when seated to the crimp groove for the 77/357s magazine and way short of the rifling in the long throated Handi. Gp

Boolit Master
    Just following up. I received the 36-175L from Accurate some time back but last weekend was the first opportunity I had to use the boolits. Loaded in 38sp cases and crimped in the lower groove the O.A.L. Is exactly 1.580". They load and cycle through my Browning 92 beautifully. Accuracy also seems very good, but so far I have only shot steel not paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk