Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And......a Peabody followed me home. :)

And......a Peabody followed me home. :)

I've been wanting one for a long time......finally pulled the trigger on a .43 Spanish. Already set-up to load for it....which is one of the reasons I wanted one in the .43.

Any words of wisdom? I'll be feeding it a steady diet of black.....no plans to load smokeless in this one. I have heard rumors it may prefer the .446 bullet. Chamber cast and bore slugging are on the list as soon as I have it in hand....can't wait!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pix930171896.jpg   pix078609080.jpg   pix308968255.jpg   pix431144847.jpg  
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Grand Master

Soo... it hasn't actually followed you home yet?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Soo... it hasn't actually followed you home yet?
    Er....uh.....good point, Wayne! I suppose it is still following me home, but should find its way soon!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I would suggest loading the cases with 1 1/2 Olde Eysnford, rp 9 1/2 primers and a paper patch bullet appropriate length for the rifling twist no more than .004 under bore diameter, wrapped with two wraps of seth cole 55w paper, and a muzzle loader original dry lubed felt wad between the bullet and the powder.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    I would suggest loading the cases with 1 1/2 Olde Eysnford, rp 9 1/2 primers and a paper patch bullet appropriate length for the rifling twist no more than .004 under bore diameter, wrapped with two wraps of seth cole 55w paper, and a muzzle loader original dry lubed felt wad between the bullet and the powder.
    Thanks, Don. I've not yet been down the PP rabbit hole, but it does interest me.... There's a learning curve there for me, for sure.

It's not a hard trail, but it can be a frustrating one at times. You'll also want to wipe the expose portion of the patch after the round is loaded with a drop of jojoba oil on your finger tip. Then you should be able to blow tube up to 10 -15 rounds with no loss in accuracy.
    Those 44 caliber wads they sell are just right for the 44 and 45 rifle cartridges.

When you get the thing in, and get some measurements on the bore, let me know I may have a handful of bullets cast up and ready to go that may just brighten that ol girls day.

Perma-Banned

Those Peabodys are really nice. My uncle has the rifle version.

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    When you get the thing in, and get some measurements on the bore, let me know I may have a handful of bullets cast up and ready to go that may just brighten that ol girls day.
    I most certainly will, my friend! My roller shoots the 439 greasers decently, but I believe from my research that both rifles should be capable of great accuracy. I also have a few 446 greasers...haven't tried those in the rolling block for accuracy yet. You really got me thinking about the PP thing.......

Looking forward to seeing what it measures

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    It appears that the rifle has seen vey little use and very good care. Many years ago I had a Borchardt in 45-70 made for the South Carolina National Guard. I wish I still had it.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Thanks, Gopher. I've looked at a bunch of them for awhile now, and just never could pull the trigger on one. It's a lot of money for my family. This one....I couldn't NOT pull the trigger on it! I let one pass a few weeks ago in similar condition, and it's ached since. I was very pleased to find this one, and I am now like a kid at Christmas waiting for it!

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Have Peabody in 45-70 . Nice rifles and well made.
    We use 40-1 and as much 3F Goex as that boolit will permit with a cereal box wad. Easily will shoot 3 inch groups off cross sticks.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Congrats and I kinda envy you! The more plastic on new guns the better these old wood and metal firearms look!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    No worries! The guy in Nigeria that he wired the money to said he'd get the rifle right out to him!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Herman View Post
    No worries! The guy in Nigeria that he wired the money to said he'd get the rifle right out to him!
    That's right, Tom! And the necessary paperwork to claim my $50M settlement from their government!

Boolit Master

very nice ! I have one of those. I've not played with it in years, BUT I recall groove dia was larger than 439, but I could not get then in the chamber. I was using a stash of CCC brass which was thick. I got some Buff Arms reworked 43 Spanish from 348W. I had to move for job and it all got tabled. IIRC the CCC brass was around 13 thou thick in the neck and the 348 was about 8 thou thick. Then I discovered a horrendous ding in the crown. Got that fixed. Looking forward to reading your updates.
    good luck

It's supposed to be here Tuesday.....aaarrrggghhhh!!! The original shipping notification said Friday, so I was quite excited at the prospect of a long weekend to tinker with it. Bummer.

And I do expect it to be somewhere 446-449 or so, as my research suggests a good many fall in this range. Hopefully on the low end of that range! .443 or so would be awesome...as I do want to try PP in this rifle....but not getting my hopes up for that. I can always go to a larger bullet, but I have the 439 mould in hand. We'll see......

Boolit Buddy
    Before you buy dies, slug the bore and if the .446 is a go, then get .44-77 dies instead of .43 Spanish. Cartridge dimensions are the same except bullet diameter. Expander will be too small, and necks will be sized more than necessary if you use the Spanish dies. A chamber cast to double check neck diameter might be useful if you have the materials (Cerrosafe or pure sulfur). Also, once your brass is fireformed to the chamber, just size the necks enough to hold the bullets, especially if you're using black.

10-12 gr Unique with a tuft of polyester to hold powder against the primer makes a pleasant and accurate target load with a proper fitting bullet.
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition

Thanks, John! I already have dies for the 43 Spanish for a roller I already have. Also have a .439 Rapine mould. Just bought a .446 mould from a member here, so I guess I'm jumping the gun a bit, however, I wanted the .446 to experiment in the roller anyway.

Chamber cast and bore slugging will be first order of business....so we'll see from there!

I am worse than a kid at Christmas!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast