Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: 4759 Powder Cans

Boolit Master

4759 Powder Cans

I see Bent Ramrod beat me to it with his thread. But here are the 4759 cans I have right now. The old 8oz Dupont can I bought new, back in the 60's. The Dupont pound cans I bought at a gun show a month or so ago. $10 each, and they are full. The round plastic is the last IMR version.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	powdercans.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	196105

Boolit Master
    $10 a can, even an 8-oz, is a good deal. Hopefully, the stuff will keep turning up here and there for many years. I grab every can I can find, if it's reasonably priced.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've been told that it was used for some specialty loading, and a salvaged or reclaimed version of it would turn up from time to time. About 20 years ago I bought 8# of it in what looked like a white plastic bleach bottle(???) I also have several different versions of the cans in light green and burgundy, but I never got one of the small or large plastic jugs or the large cans. I was/am interested in 4759 as it works so well in my 32-40.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

I am getting old as I have never bought an IMR powder #1 pounder in a plastic can. All mine are in metal still 30-40 pounds of different #'s

Oklahoma and Idaho - and not depending on the weather.
    Don’t know how old this is but it still contains about 3 pounds. Might have to compare loads when I finally get into it. Still have about 17 lbs in newer plastic IMR plastic bottles. Wonder if I should transfer to some plastic?

Name:	848BA2B6-885A-41C7-A8C1-599CC32E226E.jpeg 
Views:	10 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	214544
    Last edited by SgtDog0311; 02-19-2018 at 12:20 AM.
    Best Regards,
    John

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtDog0311 View Post
    Don’t know how old this is but it still contains about 3 pounds. Might have to compare loads when I finally get into it. Still have about 17 lbs in newer plastic IMR plastic bottles. Wonder if I should transfer to some plastic?

Name:	848BA2B6-885A-41C7-A8C1-599CC32E226E.jpeg 
Views:	10 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	214544
    I did. Had a can just like yours. When I saw signs of rust I transferred the powder to White plastic containers.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Oklahoma and Idaho - and not depending on the weather.
    Thanks Gopher Slayer. Got some empty 4759 plastic I pounders I’ll make use of. No rust spotted yet but no sense waiting. Any idea of date on this can?
    Best Regards,
    John

Just gotta love those old powder tins, they had great graphics and a wide variety of brightly coloured labels. Great entertainment even when you weren't loading ammunition! These are a few of mine that I've saved over the years ...

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtDog0311 View Post
    Thanks Gopher Slayer. Got some empty 4759 plastic I pounders I’ll make use of. No rust spotted yet but no sense waiting. Any idea of date on this can?
    Yes Sgt, the date on the can is November 1974. I have found no difference in this performance and powder made just a few years old.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN