Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: What are the longest .32 BP cartridges? Purpose?

What are the longest .32 BP cartridges? Purpose?

I'm getting a 32-20 Ruger Blackhawk, and that made me look to see what 32-20 rifles are out there that I could apply my same reloading skills (such as they are) and components to. That led me to find that there's also a 32-40 Ballard (that I was dimly aware of) that folks chamber in Rolling Block actions, and that got me excited, but also wondering: what are the longest .32 BP cartridges ever made, and what were they used for?

I believe that the 32-40 Remington-Hepburn and the 32-40 Winchester cases were both 2.13 in length. The R-H has 47.25 Gr H2O capacity while the Winchester has 45.25 Gr H2O capacity. Just a slight difference in head diameter and case taper causes the volume difference. RD
    “A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.”

Thomas Jefferson – Author of the Declaration of Independence and 3rd President of the USA

Boolit Buddy
    I believe the Remington 32/40 was actually a. 30 caliber not a .32.

Boolit Grand Master

A lot of the 32 caliber BP rifle cartridges were mid size game animals with deer the upper end. They were also Shutzen cartridges for that demanding sport. 25-50 rounds recoil becomes an issue and at 200 yds the bigger rounds really weren't needed. #2 ballard and 32-40 did a lot of shutzen and mid sized game hunting.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rockydog View Post
    I believe that the 32-40 Remington-Hepburn and the 32-40 Winchester cases were both 2.13 in length. The R-H has 47.25 Gr H2O capacity while the Winchester has 45.25 Gr H2O capacity. Just a slight difference in head diameter and case taper causes the volume difference. RD
    Just to add to what RD said, you'll find the rim thickness difference between this, The 32win.spl is another to look at.the special didn't offer as much as the 30-30, back in that time it was more about needing a gun than today's it's more about wanting or how many one owns...
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master

8x60 R Guedes M85. This cartridge was adopted by Portugal in 1885 for a Martini type action. Bullet is 0.326", 247 grains, over 70grains FG, MV 1706 fps ME 1605 Case length 2.34, OAL 3.35", 11 inch twist.
    I think that would out preform your 32-40 by just a little. This was adopted by Portugal, but the French brought out the 8x50 Lebel 1886, which is (was) a smokeless round. It used a 198grn bullet at 2380 fps, clearly out classing any BP cartridge ever made. just sayin......

ps If any one out there has a Guedes, I need to talk to you. Please contact me.