Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Powder burn rate chart

Boolit Grand Master

Powder burn rate chart

I've looked at a few charts on the net.
    I can't find one with Accurate 2200 data.
    Is there a reason for it????

http://www.accuratepowder.com/products/burn-rates/ has a chart that lists all their powders as well as most others. It is missing the newer Hodgdon ans IMR powders.

Moderator Emeritus

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    I wonder how good it is and/or how up to date it really is.
    I mean Norma discontinued R1 pistol powder 25 years ago and they still list it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    I wonder how good it is and/or how up to date it really is.
    I mean Norma discontinued R1 pistol powder 25 years ago and they still list it.
    There is no reason to delist a powder because it's no longer made. Powder lasts longer than twenty five years so there is a good chance people are still using it. SR4759 was recently discontinued, again, and I don't want to see it removed because of this fact.

Boolit Master

Yep, Trap 100 was discontinued in the late 80's. I have some, and looked a good long while to find burn rate charts with it listed.
    By the way, I love Trap 100 in 9mm..... I'll be disappointed when I run out of it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Some "strange" things there, H870 and Win 785 same approx speed!! wow
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

I just looked at the chart. They have W296 and H110 far apart. They're the same powder, and have been for many years. Use the charts from Hodgon and ADI w/ confidence. And I'm sure most know that the charts are relative. There is no way to discern how much faster or slower a powder is then one before or after it.

Burn rate charts can be very dangerous for those who do not have the wisdom to see them for what they are. Two powders listed next to each other does NOT mean they act the same. For those who have loaded long enough to get the feel for things, it can be useful. Anyone just getting into reloading please be careful how you interpret these burn rate charts.

Example H-110 and 296 are listed one slot away from 5744. 5744 is forgiving and can be reduced quite a bit with a high margin of safety. Reduce H-110 loads and you will get into trouble FAST.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I just looked at the chart. They have W296 and H110 far apart. They're the same powder, and have been for many years. Use the charts from Hodgon and ADI w/ confidence. And I'm sure most know that the charts are relative. There is no way to discern how much faster or slower a powder is then one before or after it.
    Yes and a lot more wrong too. W540 is HS6, W571 is Hs7, W760 is H414, W870 is H870. Burn rate charts from closed bomb tests do not take application into consideration and only show relative quickness. In that chart I see some powder that is the same speed and manufacturer marketed by a different company 7 lines apart. I don't think I will be downloading that chart.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not sure what the op is asking. If you go to the Accurate site their chart lists it. Is he asking for load data?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Mold
    have a great load for my 45/70 rolling block using 5744 and my 405gr cast bullets 3 shoots touching at 100yds using a bp action with a Montana rifleman bull bbl. loads listed in old acc. arms data chart. no pressure signs good burn

Boolit Mold
    purchases acc 2200 surplus powder in 2000 from natchez shooting supplys bought 3 8lb jugs for under 50$$. have used it in everything from 22hornet to 45/70, great in 308. was speaking to tech, at acc. now western powders I believe and questioned them on how the old surplus compares to there present 2200, he said same specs just work up from start loads. one of the best buys I have ever made. call them they are verying good folks