Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Buckeye Blackhawk in 32-20: longest range, heaviest boolits mods?

Ruger Buckeye Blackhawk in 32-20: longest range, heaviest boolits mods?

I've lusted after customized Ruger sixguns since I was a teenager, and after the several past years of serious health/family/business setbacks (which have more or less evened out) I've decided that I've put this off long enough and this is the year I order one or two fine customs and wait patiently for them to be done. My initial idea I've bandied about on some boards is to have a Ruger Single Six converted to a 10mm wildcat (loaded mild and non-interchangeable with 10mm Auto or Mag for safety) and have it set up to look like John Wesley Hardin's old Colt 1877 Lightning. But then this week on Gunbroker I chanced across an item that diverted my course: a Ruger "Buckeye" Blackhawk in 32-20!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pix323148107.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	196095

Name:	pix005689023.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	196097

Name:	pix895146985.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	196096

I once owned a 5.5" birdshead adjustable .32 H&R Single Six (appears to have been cobbled together by the previous owner, I got it in a San Anton pawnshop in 2007 or so) but when I moved overseas I sold it to a collector here at CB who wanted to rebuild it to stock due to its rare early serial number. I was going to buy a new Ruger Single Seven in .327 Federal, but never got around to it since moving back from Africa last year. This Buckeye was "Bowen accurized" and in my enthusiasm I didn't read closely enough to realize that it had only had a cylinder touch-up accurizing job ($75-150 of work depending on options) so was a little taken aback when I won the auction at $876, and then seeing the limited upgrades I was worried I overpaid. But reading up further, a clean .32 Buckeye with both cylinders is worth easily $1000, and though this one lacks papers or box or the .32 H&R cylinder (none of which matter for my project idea), I figure overall I came out at least okay.

I spoke with Hamilton Bowen and he's glad to have me send it to him for further work, with a timeline of 6-12 months. I've always thought the Bisley was the most gorgeous Ruger, so I'm thinking to Bisley-ify mine (hammer, grip, trigger), maybe with a stainless grip frame for contrast and because my acidic hand sweat eats bluing. I want this to be a family heirloom, so I'm thinking grips that will last for ages, maybe canvas micarta or G10 since I don't want animal-product grips for personal superstitions. For sights I'll get the DX sight options, and maybe ask if I can have range-lines added to the front sight, Keith-style, for long-distance shooting.

For shooting purposes, I don't hunt so I just want this for plinking or maybe the occasional Silhouette match in Ulimited class. My plinking goals are: shoot really heavy bullets at low speed as a "mini-mortar" and to shoot whatever bullet is optimal for ringing the gong at absolute max distance.

I did some cursory googling, but can't find details on the twist rate for these; anybody know it? I was also unclear as to how heavy of .32 bullets are out there, but I ran across Accurate Molds and they have up to 264 grains in their "31" line! There's a great thread here by JeffinNZ that talks about using extra-heavy 32-20 loads in his Martini for smacking rabbits down south, and I found his photo inspirational and cribbed part of it for my avatar (I'll remove it if he asks). I'm just fine with 6.5" barrel length, but if I want to shoot massive .32 bullets, do I need to have Mr Bowen swap in a barrel with faster twist?

I had a few hesitations before settling on this plan, since I wondered if maybe a Flattop would be a trimmer platform for 32-20, but reading online folks have called the 32-20 Blackhawk the "Tiger Tank" of the Ruger line, nearly indestructible as a six-shot, and if I'm using huge bullets I could use all the cylinder length I've got. Plus the "Buckeye" editions apparently had great fit and finish, and that little flower on the bottom makes collectors jealous (though mine is already modded and paperless so no collector value), so overall I'm feeling good about my plan.

Other than Bisley-ifying and sights, possible barrel change to faster twist, and cool durable grips, I'm considering some of the froofy little touches like scalloping, BP chamfer, and the like, so I'm open to any suggestions. What do folks think of this plan to make an ideal 32-20 Ruger for slinging fat little slugs out to long ranges?

Boolit Master
    I have a 32-20,,, and I also have a 135 grn cast pill that I enjoy.

Boolit Master

You and I were watching the same auction. Glad you got it
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    That is one cool and incredibly sexy wheel gun you have there. To say I am jealous is an understatement. Well done.

God do I love guns!!!!!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I got a .30 Carbine RBH on another auction and will be fooling with it to see if I can hit the 100 and 200 yard rifle gongs with it.

Extra cylinder or two in 7.62x25 and .32 HRM will be in the works when the cylinder blanks arrive.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I have the brass, powder, boolit moulds and primers all ready and waiting.
    Now I just have to wait for a 30 carbine Blackhawk to show up at the friendly neighborhood gun shop.

Has anyone else on here ever gathered all the necessities to shoot before they actually owned the firearm? My wife calls it crazy. I call it thinking ahead!

Boolit Master
    Well I do have 60 rounds of 35 rem ammo, some brass and I think a set of dies but nothing to shoot with. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by birch View Post
    I have the brass, powder, boolit moulds and primers all ready and waiting.
    Now I just have to wait for a 30 carbine Blackhawk to show up at the friendly neighborhood gun shop.

Has anyone else on here ever gathered all the necessities to shoot before they actually owned the firearm? My wife calls it crazy. I call it thinking ahead!
    Uh....as a matter of fact, yes. I have bought a gun because I found/traded for, bullet, brass, or dies. Shameful, aren't we!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master
    One of the great regrets of my life is selling my Buckeye RBH 32 Combo that I bought when they were first introduced... I only shot a few rounds through each cylinder and like the butterfly I am, flitted off to the next shiny object that caught my eye. If I still had it though, I'd probably be shooting the 32-20 cylinder pretty much as-is with the standard 115 gr RNFP bullet that has been in use since the invention of the caliber (I prefer the old Ideal 3118 mould) and saving the hot-rodding for the other cylinder which would be reamed to 327 Federal Magnum by now. NOE's copy of the old original bullet, the 314008 with plain base (no GC) falls from my mould at a nearly perfect 125 gr. This bullet with proper powder charges behind it makes the 327 FM cartridge all it was advertised to be and maybe a little bit more. The RBH platform has plenty of steel to contain about any semi-sane load one would want to fire in a 32 caliber handgun.

Since my Buckeye Special is long gone, I got the later stainless, 8 shot version of the RBH in 327 (which is now discontinued also ) and although it lacks the 32-20 cylinder, it fills my needs quite well. I've considered swapping out the grip frame, but I haven't been able to "get a round tuit." Meanwhile, I'm shooting my 32-20s from a slicked up Navy Arms/Uberti copy of a Colt SAA. But we're talking about Rugers here, aren't we?

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

If we're talking reaaaaaally crazy here, what about this:

5-shot conversion in 32-20 to make this critter totally bomb-proof, so I can load as hot and heavy as I like? And figure out the barrel twist rate needed to shoot the absolute heaviest bullets available, and re-barrel?

I emphasize, this isn't pure tire-kicking since I've already bought the revolver, and emailed Mr Bowen to get on his list.

You and I were watching the same auction. Glad you got it
    I feel a *tiny* bit bad now, but that is outweighed by my excitement. I'm sure you'll find yours soon enough! What had you been envisioning doing with it if you'd sniped it?

Boolit Master
    Twist on the 32-20 if I remember right is 1x20". Frank

Boolit Grand Master
    Paul Shuttleworth at CPA Rifles was doing a lot of experimentation within the last few years with hot ridding the 32-20. You might want to check with him if you want to maximize the performance of your gun in this caliber. He was using some big bullets, but maybe he went to a true 32 diameter rather than.312"... you could ask over on the ASSRA forums about this as well.

Froggie

I bought two Buckeye Specials when they were first out. These were made for John Sherban who
    was the owner of Buckeye Sports Supply in Canton, Ohio. I had a FFL at the time and John gave
    us the opportunity to buy one each of the original shipments. I bought a 32-32/20 and 10-38/40.
    I kept the 32-32/20 for myself, it was a very accurate pistol. My brother has it now. We were
    shooting 115gr Fn cast/ Unique. We tried heavier and lighter bullets and several powders, we
    were more keyed on accuracy than hot loads. We shoot loads in it that I would never use in the
    DA S&Ws that I own. Also the adjustable sights were a big advantage for load developements.

Boolit Master

I picked up a used one a couple a years ago. Ended up sendiig the 32 H&R cylinder to Bowen to have them ream it to 327FM and ordered a rough country rear sight for it. Since then, I scored a 1 of 500 used Davidson's Winnie 1892 20" octagonal barrel rifle to go with it. Patiently waiting on Henry's roll out of their 327FM as I now have some good mid qnd hvy 32 molds to use with these.

I thought the same about Bisleyfying mine also and I'm hesitant. I'll shoot the plow handlel some more along with a Bisley in 45 Colt and finally come to a conclusion.

Congrats on the nice score. The 32 is a fun caliber.

Boolit Grand Master

I bid on a couple of the Buckeyes a few months ago but didnt win. Thats a great pistol and im glad your going to have fun with it. Forget whether you "overpaid" fotr it. If your happy with it you did not
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Just as FYI, my .30 Carbine Blackhawk was made in 1978 and Starline .32-20 brass drops right in without trimming.

Cylinder throats are .310 all the way around, so cylinder doesn't need reaming.

Cylinder gap is pass 0.003", hold 0.004".

Haven't shot it yet as I'm waiting for mud at the range to dry out.
    Attachment 196489
    Attachment 196488
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Moderator Emeritus

My 32 H&R Ruger SSM is a great shooter. Get grips that fit your hand and go forward.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Just as FYI, my .30 Carbine Blackhawk was made in 1978 and Starline .32-20 brass drops right in without trimming.

Cylinder throats are .310 all the way around, so cylinder doesn't need reaming.

Cylinder gap is pass 0.003", hold 0.004".

Haven't shot it yet as I'm waiting for mud at the range to dry out.
    Attachment 196489
    Attachment 196488
    Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Sounds like you pulled the Ruger lever and hit the jackpot. I'll be waiting to hear how it shoots, but from the dry measurements listed, it sounds very promising.

Froggie

Boolit Master
    I do not have a Ruger 32-20/30carb combo so take this with a grain of salt. I do have several 32-20's (a rifle and pistols) and a couple of Rugers in .32 H&R Mag. From that, I would extrapolate the following (or guess, if you prefer).

The weak point in your gun will be the brass. I have hotrodded the 32-20 in rifles and that is the first thing to go (around the case about a quarter of an inch or so above the bottom). I will not happen on the first shot and probably not the second shot, but it will happen by the 3rd or 4th shot if you continue to use the case with stiff loads. I do not know how much pressure they develop, but I will NOT use them in any 32-20 handgun I have. I would STRONGLY recommend using Starline 32-20 brass only. I do not know how much more pressure that they can take, but they do have thicker walls than Winchester or Remington cases. I use only Starline for high pressure loads in my 32-20 and 44-40 and have not had a case failure yet (no more than 5 shots from each case, though, then they are discarded).

The Ruger's I have with the .32 Mag (SP-101 and Super-Single-Six) will take much more pressure than the cartridge was originally designed for. I believe that it was Skeeter Skelton that took it up to 40,000psi without problems with the gun or the cartridge. I have not gone that far, but have gone far beyond factory pressures. Naturally, the Blackhawk should be able to go well beyond that. However, the brass won't.

Boolit Master
    I have been shooting 30-20/32-20 for about 25+years. I didn't acquire my buckeye until a few years back.
    I had tinkered with the 32-20 long enough to get it figured out. I initially started playing with the small 30/32's in IHMSA. I played with the 30x221 side by side with the 30-20 on the TC platform. I stayed with the 30-20 because of the rim and ease of extraction with the TC.
    I have run bullets from 110-220 in mine,cast and jacketed.
    When the Buckeye showed up it was a no brainier. I have a custom 140-145 grain mold,mdepends on alloy. I have shot it in IHMSA matches and it will take a ram over, slowly.
    I then picked up a BF pistol in 30-20, so that made three.
    As to weak brass.
    If you follow the instructions and use the dies the way they tell you too, brass will suffer. It has to be sized to make that specific gun happy, period. Over work it and it will fail.
    I myself have specific am land brass for a specific gun. Make it generic so it works in everything, deal with the issues that go with it.
    Getting heavy bullets to go slow is easy. In my experience, with an iron sighted gun it is a lesson in frustration. Not a rainbow trajectory,but more like a very step arch. I have see. Bullet splash on steel plates that the bullet actually skidded down them 4-5". Try and get elevation figured out. You are shooting more at the top edge rather than the face.

Folks that use fast powders to get a heavy bullet up to speed are playing with fire. Stay with a slow, magnum type powder. Keep the pressures down! Brass and gun will thank you along with proof on the paper.

A five shot with this cartridge. All you are gaining is weight. There is so much meat around the case in a six shot I would be more inclined to go to a 7 shot on the Blackhawk and still feel perfectly safe.

The 327, is what the 32 mag wanted to be. The 32-20 is what the 327 tries to be.

I have run RP brass for a long long time, only because that was it was easy to find.
    I do have some Starline that has been fired a fair bit.
    I have a batch of RP that has been subjected to a torture test of sorts. Loads all across the board from mild to wild. It is approaching 25 reloads. Primer pockets are just now getting a bit loose. It has been annealed 5 times. Trimmed 4 times. The batch started at 500. There are about 450 or so left. Most of those were lost or messed up when belling the case or seating a bullet.

WC 820 is a go to powder for me. H110/296, lil gun,2400 and bullseye are what I use the most.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast