RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: SKS in .357 Magnum

Boolit Master
    Marlin made a 357 lever rifle with a box magazine.

Universal made an M1 Carbine in 256 Winchester.

I once made up an M1 Carbine in 357 Auto Mag.

The Desert Eagle magazine would be where I would start.

Quote Originally Posted by ironhead7544 View Post
    Marlin made a 357 lever rifle with a box magazine.

Universal made an M1 Carbine in 256 Winchester.

I once made up an M1 Carbine in 357 Auto Mag.

The Desert Eagle magazine would be where I would start.

Lols i made one in 44 Automag, was a great little rig.....

I know a SKK had been done in Australia in about 1994???? in 357, used DE mags... It worked too, but only with hot loads and and heavy bullets.....

Boolit Master
    I sure could get on this again with the input that it has been done and worked. My question would be why did it not work on the second rifle? I am all ears to these type of thought patterns!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    I will work on a Second rifle when I come across a good Doner Rifle or action.
    But you need to see all the projects I have in the works right now, Plus work a Real Job 60 hours + a week.
    But the feelers are out to my friends for the parts I will need.
    Like I said before, Money is not the object, I do not have to wait till Pay Day to get what I want.
    It is the Time and the Room to start a new project that is the issue.

Same bolt face, magazine. Just have to figure out reboring the barrel.
    Why I mentioned

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/9×39mm

Boolit Master
    That looks like a cool round and a way to have a larger bore in the SKS.
    But I see it is designed as a Sub Sonic Round.
    I think that most of the people that inquired about going to the .357 Magnum , wanted a full house round to knock the snot out of a hog at a good distance.
    Are dies made for the 9x39 ?
    Also, is ammo availabe, besides having to make up your own custom loads.
    Last edited by LAGS; 05-26-2017 at 09:39 PM.

I know this is about making a sks into a 357 mag .

I have made a win 1910 into a 360 Dan wesson ,and it also cycles 357 heavy 180 bear loads also very reliably .Had to mod the follower with a ramp to keep the cartridges aligned properly .The 401 barrel was pouched and the hardest part was attaching the guide rod base to the barrel

Here is a pic barrel is SS and I ceracoted to make it pretty
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2974.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	196348
    Last edited by blackbahart; 05-27-2017 at 04:29 AM.

Boolit Master
    @ blackbahart
    This thread is about converting the SKS, but mostly because it is , or should I say WAS a common and inexpensive rifle to Try to make the .357 self loader out of.
    But input and information about conversions about Other auto loaders of .357 or similar rounds could help in this project.
    I wouldnt have thought that the 1910 would have been strong enough for a round like the 360 Dan Wesson.
    But it looks like I am wrong.

The 360 Dan has exactly the same case capicty as the 351 wsl .I /we did them to avoid the forming the 351 cases .We can use the same ammo in the revolver as the rifles

also there is a 9.3 x39 also in the sks I read about somewhere ,I will see if I can locate the link

here is a link https://forum.cartridgecollectors.or...-366-tkm/16136
    Last edited by blackbahart; 05-27-2017 at 11:52 PM. Reason: added more info

Boolit Master
    I did do some reading on the Win Model 7 and 10 and was suprised to find that those Old self loading Calibers are near what our .357 is today.
    But still the Winchesters are not that common and are a little pricy for the average guy who wants to make a Hog Gun for rapid shooting.
    But then the SKS's have gone thru the roof recently, but junkers are out there if you look hard enough.

I have a bit of a wsl addiction .I have a nice batch of originals and always end up with clunkers /parts guns .With the clunkers we made up in 07s a 338-223,and 30carbine and in 10s the 360 dans and a 44 amp .Just finished up a 1907 300blackout ,first bottle neck .Any way back to sks

sks up here run about 250 cdn or less if you hit a sale for russian refurbs.The barrel shouldnt be too much trouble to fit ,made up a tap to recut/chase the receiver threads /easier than regearing my lathe to cut metric.

We made a couple of 223 for a fellow .The bolt face we collared and then had to mod the xtractor and add some length to the ejector .The gas hole in the barrel was straight forward just follow the hole in the gas block .They cycled fine with no mods to the gas system.Did not put the front sight blocks on as they ended up going to be scoped.The mags were the AR adaptors from a supplier in BC and feeding was a bit spotty till the feed lips were adjusted .Not sure on the accuracy of the conversion as the fellow who has them has never let me know ,so I guess it must be acceptable or would have found out LOL .I only got them to function

For the mag I would probably try the AR type adaptor and mod it to fit the Desert eagle or Coonan mag .

Boolit Master
    I was thinking , to make a Mag adapter, just take the original Magazine Sheet metal box, take off the cover and take out the follower.
    Then cast it full of bedding compound, and machine it out to fit a DE magazine, and make up some kind of magazine release.
    But with the cost of the DE magazines, I will probably make my own magazines from scratch.
    it isnt that hard to do a straight case single stack magazine out of sheet metal.

Neat sounding project. My wife says I'm Macgyver's brother he never mentions........
    And I wish Siri would quit calling me with questions.......
    Good luck LAGS- we'll be watching to see where this goes.
    Best, Thomas.

Have you thought about making a 357 Max?

Boolit Master
    A .357 Max had crossed my mind, but getting the rifle to first work in a Common Caliber would be the first thing that comes to mind.
    But like if it works on .357, will it work with .38 specials.
    But then you could Up the Game and make one in .357 Max and see if it will still work on .357 Mags or .38 specials for that matter.
    But the Re Barreling I want to do on the CZ527, I would consider doing it in .357 Max because I know it could still shoot the .357 Mags and with come feeding adjustments the .38 special

Boolit Grand Master
    Given that Gun and Ammo magazine some years back had an article on a 35 x39, which is an 7.62 X 39 case necked up for 35 caliber bullets and would do everything contemplated for a "357" SKS with less cost, more reliability, and far less aggravation (keep in mind the SKS is designed to feed a steeply tapered rimless cartridge holding sharp pointed bullets, not a straight walled rimmed one with blunt bullets), well......

The idea of converting an SKS to 357 is reasonably categorized as a "bad idea." There are much smarter and better ways to go about getting what you want (a 35 caliber SKS) without pounding a square block in a round hole and throwing a bunch of money at it for a much lower chance of success. You likely will need a new barrel with any 35 caliber option.

An expensive jam prone rifle that really will not do anything the original one will not do, if as well, does not seem terribly practical. Practical is keeping the rifle as is. Less practical but possible is making a 35 X 39. Not at all reasonable or smart is a 357 SKS given the two choices mentioned in the last two sentences.

Autoloading gas operated rifles will not work with two cartridges (38 and 357) that have such differences in their powder burn rates and time/pressure curves. Be careful that knowledge rather than a lack of it is driving your "wants" here.

Low amounts of enthusiasm for this entire idea is well justified. Pay heed to the advice you are getting.
    Last edited by 35remington; 05-29-2017 at 07:58 PM.

Boolit Master
    Thank you for your input.
    Yes it probably is a bad idea, but never did you say It Cant Be Done
    But your input is well justified, and spot on.
    But you have given me an out if this build does not work.
    The barrel has to be replaced with a .35 caliber barrel anyway.
    So if the .357 Mag doesnt work, then the .35 caliber barrel can be rechambered to the 35 x39 round that you mentioned.

Boolit Grand Master
    Better to start with it and save the money. Same thing, less cost, less likely to be a waste of time.

after considering what you wish to do with it ,I would recomend looking around for a win 1907 351wsl and go out and hammer the hogs .Jamison makes proper head stamped brass and I read there is a us company making hunting ammo also .

Also did I mention I am partial to the wsl rifles LOL

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast