RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wild hog hunting with cast booltis question

Banned

EXACTLY.= My favorite "hog gun" is my old Model 760 Remington in .300 Savage.
    (My GCCB load is a "SA War era" equivalent of the old-school .30-40 Krag load.)

Imo, any bullet that will consistently "pass through" a hog's chest is likely adequate. = Hogs are not "bullet-proof", though some huge boars sometimes seem to be!!!

yours, tex

Banned
    Smoke4340,

AGREED. = The Remington Model 760 in .30-06/.308/.270 would be adequate for most any game up to & including elk/moose & there are LOTS of the 760s around in the LGS/gun shows & often at low prices.
    (The last .30-06 pump with a decent 2.5X Redfield, that I bought for a "PU truck rifle", was <200.oo OTD & in acceptable condition. Further, it routinely shoots 2" groups at 200M if I do my part.)

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 05-24-2017 at 01:16 PM.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post

EXACTLY.= My favorite "hog gun" is my old Model 760 Remington in .300 Savage.
    (My GCCB load is a "SA War era" equivalent of the old-school .30-40 Krag load.)

Imo, any bullet that will consistently "pass through" a hog's chest is likely adequate. = Hogs are not "bullet-proof", though some huge boars sometimes seem to be!!!

yours, tex

Nothing in the world wrong with a good lever 30-30, all i ever deer hunted with for MANY MANY years, anything under 100 yards is DEAD, and using a wide meplat is the only way to go in a stack type tube magazine. I am not trying to veer from the original post, just couldn't resist throwing the 30-30 in the mix

Boolit Master
    A Remington pump in '06 would be mighty fine. Since I name most my guns, it would be "Thor" as in 'Hammer of' . Load, cast and (gasp) buy a few 'J' words and Thor could handle most anything walking around in the lower 48.... Just my opinion...

Boolit Master
    Good luck with your treatment.
    I am in the same boat with chemo for colon cancer.
    Leadmelter
    MI

Banned
    Hardcast; Leadmelter,

BEST OF LUCK to both of you gents.

yours, tex

Vendor Sponsor
    I would suggest a Marlin lever in 35 Rem as it has worked very well for me on a 200lb boar. But anything with a JM stamp on it is priced to the sky right now so best to stick with your "Amish machinegun" idea. But if you found a pump in 35 Rem with a good price.....

Was tired of 'overhaulin', accidentally found DFW Outdoors PIG hunt. 6.5 or 6.8 ARs, N.V., muffler and all (IIRC they spotted em ~ 340 yds). Guys got several, One guy got 3 in a row, went to find them. Looking for the third, came across a smaller (~80#?) one down, got to ~ 3ft - was going to poke it with a stick. Wasn't the one, it jumped up & ran AWAY down a path. Guy is startled, un-holsters his pistol, racks the slide and 15 misses (green lit for TV so not an impossible shot). Pretty typical stalk hunt. IIRC the largest was 180# with 2" cutters. 223 will work with the right ammo, BO can just push a bigger slug but past 150 the drop can get you.
    How do you like the Remington Hog Hammer stuff? Got a couple boxes I haven't tried yet. Typically take 145gr PB PC @ 2100 but carried the H.H. for backup. IIRC it has the 3 sided ogive for 308W.
    Last edited by popper; 05-29-2017 at 08:02 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy

I was out this past weekend to weed wack my shooting lanes. Spent 2 hours with the weed wacker and a brush blade. Then proceeded to put corn in one of my tube feeders. When I finished filling it I turned around to pick up my bag of corn and saw the brush move next to me. About 15 feet away, 5 feet inside the edge of the brush I saw 2 hogs moving. I pulled my Kimber 460 Rowland. They stopped. The lead hog, a boar, turned and faced me square on. I dropped him. Don't know if he was getting ready to charge but I wasn't going to wait to find out. All of that activity and they didn't care one bit that I was there. I didn't have the energy after all that work in the heat of the noon day sun to drag him back to my truck so I left him for the coyotes and buzzards.
    "A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown"

Quote Originally Posted by flyingrhino View Post
    I was out this past weekend to weed wack my shooting lanes. Spent 2 hours with the weed wacker and a brush blade. Then proceeded to put corn in one of my tube feeders. When I finished filling it I turned around to pick up my bag of corn and saw the brush move next to me. About 15 feet away, 5 feet inside the edge of the brush I saw 2 hogs moving. I pulled my Kimber 460 Rowland. They stopped. The lead hog, a boar, turned and faced me square on. I dropped him. Don't know if he was getting ready to charge but I wasn't going to wait to find out. All of that activity and they didn't care one bit that I was there. I didn't have the energy after all that work in the heat of the noon day sun to drag him back to my truck so I left him for the coyotes and buzzards.
    The 460 Rowland has always fascinated me, but I have never shot one. Converted my Colt Series 70 Govt model to 45 Super for a while, but the slide velocity was too violent to suit me. What was the load you used in your Rowland?

Quote Originally Posted by Leadmelter View Post
    Good luck with your treatment.
    I am in the same boat with chemo for colon cancer.
    Leadmelter
    MI

Leadmelter, Thanks and best of luck to you also. I found out the hard way that a good doctor makes a world of difference.

Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    Hardcast; Leadmelter,

BEST OF LUCK to both of you gents.

yours, tex

Thank you tex. I appreciate it.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast View Post
    The 460 Rowland has always fascinated me, but I have never shot one. Converted my Colt Series 70 Govt model to 45 Super for a while, but the slide velocity was too violent to suit me. What was the load you used in your Rowland?
    Shooting my own loads. 200 grain Speer Gold Dot hollow points over 15.1 grains AA#7 for 1400 fps. I like the Rowland conversion. Very accurate and flat shooting. I think it has less recoil than the standard 45 1911. It is loud though. My ears were ringing for a bit. It is a devastating round. Went in his snout and came out next to his spine just behind the rib cage. So it went through about 30" of tissue. Speer says they aren't designed for that velocity but they do a pretty good job. I imagine the jacket probably separates at those velocities. Exit wound was 3" long and about 3/4" wide.

The suppressed SBR Blackout is my primary hunting weapon. It's easy and inexpensive to load. Fun to shoot. My goal for this year is for my two granddaughters to get a hog. They both love shooting the SBR.
    Last edited by flyingrhino; 05-30-2017 at 01:35 PM.
    "A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown"

Boolit Mold
    I took a nice boar in Feb using a 1894 Marlin in 44 Mag shooting a 265gr Ranch Dog with a starting load of 19gr of W296. Right front shoulder you can barely see the where the bullet entered.. the second photo shows two exist wounds one under the left front leg and farther back in the rib cage.
    I thought I had cast my bullets from Lyman #2 but after testing I found they were at 10 Brinnel
    I had mistakenly used 1:20 I had on hand.
    Still that billet anchored him on the spot!

Boolit Buddy
    35 Rem CVA with the 200 gr NOE copy of the RCBS and lightly compressed load of H 335 is a good pig thumper. The 308 with the 180 j words works good as well.

Boolit Master
    I you just want a pump gun (Remington 760 or 7600)and want to use boolits, you might find a 760 in .35 Remington(or an old 141) or even a 7600 in 35 Whelen, though a Savage 99 .300 or Marlin .35 are pretty easy to find.

Banned

You may want to reference this thread from a few months ago using a similar rifle and caliber.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Michael-Moore

I shot a decent buck using that Ranch Dog bullet from a .308 a few years ago using a 28 grains of IMR4895 and a tuft of Dacron filler. The bullet penetrated through about three feet of deer (quartering shot, about 60 yards) but didn't have a big exit hole or leave any blood trail I could find. Fortunately, I had a good fix on where I shot him and the direction he ran and found him pretty fast piled up in thick cover maybe 50 yards from the hit.

I'd think a combo like that would work well on hogs.

Boolit Master

Hardcast,

Prayers and best wishes for your treatment.

Should you decide to consider the AR for hogs I highly recommend a 55 or 60 grain soft point bullet. I loaded some .22-250 for a friend that needed to borrow one of my rifles one weekend. Granted, they were going a little faster than a .223 will push them but the 55 grain Sierra Spitzer was impressive on hogs in the 80-125 pound range. I'm confident that those bullets wold do the job, DRT, with a head or neck shot on any pig.

A friend and I loaded up some .30-'06 with 180 grain j-words at reduced velocity for pig hunting. We expected the heavier bullet moving more slowly to have a sledgehammer like impact. We were not disappointed. I would imagine that a boolit that is no harder than necessary would do just as well. I like big mepats on cast, too.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

that's a pretty neat looking out of service dial you are using.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    that's a pretty neat looking out of service dial you are using.
    Yes, Soundguy. I was a little upset when I saw what photobucket had done to my posting. Have no idea if they are going to revisit my account and put up that image of the clock again. It seems that if you use them too much for posting your images to a "third party" they cut your image off and want you to pay them $100.00 a year for their services. If it happens again I will move all of my images to another hosting service that is more user friendly for my very limited image posting I do on this website.

Just moved all my images to another server. Bye Bye photobucket.
    Last edited by MOA; 06-29-2017 at 08:02 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast