Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wild hog hunting with cast booltis question

Wild hog hunting with cast booltis question

Question for you experienced hunters- I am now retired and taking chemo for stage 4 cancer, but it looks like I can beat it. So sitting around the house I have a lot of time to think. So I was wondering if you were thinking about going feral hog hunting and you were thinking about using a pump gun, like a Remington 7600 in 30-06, and wanted to use a cast flat nose boolit, what boolit design would you choose. I assume a 180 grain (or so) gas check with a flat on the nose at moderate velocity would work, but I have no experience with cast in rifle calibers, or with a pump rifle. My only 30-06 was a Mauser 98, which I had re-barreled in 6mm Remington (26" heavy barrel) and it has a 6.5X24 Burris scope. Not a light fast handling rifle. I also have an AR-15 in 223, which I know a lot of hog hunters use, but for some reason the pump 30-06 appeals more to me. Anyone shoot hogs with cast in rifles ? Also, back in my youth I did hunt wild boars in Tennessee a couple times using 44 mag at close range. Holy cow, I just realized that was 40 some years ago!
    Last edited by Hardcast; 05-22-2017 at 04:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Bub
    .44mag is my choice in a rifle although I have used a .45-70 with great success.

But, the 30-06 with a flat nose would work great. Found this for you. Might help...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ting-for-30-06

Depends on the hunting conditions and range. I got a 150# in the rump, out under the jaw, broke left leg - 40SW 165gr, piddling along at 950 fps. Hit him at 25 and he ran another 100. Wasn't a choice shot but did the job. If I could have hit @ 50-75 (not likely - I tried and went too high) damage would be the same. My choice now is 300BO, 10" or 18" with PB cast - just haven't got one in the sights yet. 06 will work, download like 30/30 - good for longer range but cost more to load. Put a BO upper on the AR, cast some and have fun. Friend had one turn and charge from 10 yds - don't get a second shot with a bolt gun.
    Whatever!

Banned

I have found the RCBS 180 grain flat point to be a good bullet in the rifles I have shot it in and mine go around 195 grains. I'd think it would be a good place to start.

That said, I've never killed anything with it. Either the Ranch Dog 165 grain or Lyman 311041 work well on deer in my experience.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I've killed 5 hogs with a 45 Colts Carbine at powder burn to 47 paces . The 165# bore shot on a full run went about 200 yd before it drown in its own blood . The other 4 just kind of laid down .

I worked up a 1 off 30 cal 200 gr spitzer that at 1600 fps out of 50/50 water cooled would go over .500 and hold 195 gr at 1800 it would go .710 and keep 175 gr I shot a small mulie quartering away at 80yd the damage was nearly identical to the 150 gr 3033 Hornady at 150 starting at 2700 .
    It feed well in a 760 but it was a spitzer .

I worked a soft 323-175 R2 for a 32 Rem but never got to use it .
    I also didn't get to use 278-124 FP NOE in a 6.8 Rem or a 35-250 in a 358 Winchester . My daughter did use the #3033 in a 308 and my son in law a 140 power point Ina 264 WM and Ms killed one with a 150 gr Silver tip Winchester from a 30-30 . A cor-lok was a dismal failure at 50 yd from a 300 WSM .

I think if it will feed that a Ranch Dog 311-165 FP would do the job . RD has killed several with it in a 300 Savage .......I can't remember what rifle though .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Thank you for the replies. While being up much of the night with insomnia, I watched a several youtube videos on feral hog hunting and it appears that those killing the most hogs are using suppressed AR style rifles with subsonic ammo. The 300 Blackout seems to be the cartridge of choice. The most impressive kills that I watched were with full power 308s, but the head shots with the 300 Blackouts seem to work great too. I may have to re-think this. There are commercial cast coated and uncoated bullets available for the Blackout in 245 grains. Even at sub sonic velocity those should punch through any wild porker skull. The reason I was thinking about 30-06 is I already have dies, plenty of brass and even some jacketed bullets from my days of hunting ground hogs with the 06 back in the 70's. But, for less than the price of a new rifle, I can buy Blackout dies, brass, and a new barrel, or even a whole new upper for my AR-15. Much to ponder here while I spend most of the rest of the summer taking chemo. You guys are a wealth of information and experience. Thanks again.

Boolit Master

06 is always a good choice. Haven't shot a hog with one yet, but the ranch dog style 165 from NOE has worked wonders on deer at light 30-30 velocities for my girls.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Vendor Sponsor

If you want to pig hunt, shoot cast and already have an AR in 223 I would suggest getting a 300 blkout upper (make sure it's pistol length gas system and 1-7 twist) get a 200-247 gr mold and have at it
    Side benefit will be very little recoil shooting blkout subsonic
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 05-23-2017 at 08:32 AM.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Supposed to be a new coated 265gr PB available in July that looks pretty good for subs.
    Whatever!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I'd recommend the 6.8SPCII and the NOE 278-124 FP . It's easy to get up to speed and at 2050 fps mine will punch a combined 1 1/4 of plywood and a 1/4" CRSteel plate at 110 yd so I guess that would make a pretty good hole in a hog save for a forehead hit . It might even do the job then .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Vendor Sponsor

Popper who is this new 265 gr mold coming from ?

Boolit Buddy

I shoot 220 cast suppressed in a 300 blackout. Head shots. I haven't had one get up yet. I have feeders set out 65-85 yards in 3 shooting lanes from my ground blind. If I had to do body shots I wouldn't use what I'm using. It would kill the but not DRT. It's thick brush except where I've bush hogged the shooting lanes. Don't care to go in after them. The head shots drop them so there is no chasing them down. If I were to use body shots at longer ranges I'd use my Remington Hog Hammer ammo. 130 grain open tip supers.
    "A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown"

Boolit Grand Master
    I know the black-out is all the rage, and I've shot (and like) it, but if you have a .30-06, you already have big pig medicine. Any of the mid-weight to heavy-weight boolits will work. Drive them around 1500 fps or better with accuracy and I think you will be making meat. Good luck

300blktalk dolomite-super-fly has the details. It's red HiTek coated, Acme will be making it IIRC. PB bore rider, supposedly works with lancer mags. Tests in 1:10,1:7 & 1:5 seem to produce good accuracy. Don't know if moulds will be available right away.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast View Post
    Question for you experienced hunters- I am now retired and taking chemo for stage 4 cancer, but it looks like I can beat it. So sitting around the house I have a lot of time to think. So I was wondering if you were thinking about going feral hog hunting and you were thinking about using a pump gun, like a Remington 7600 in 30-06, and wanted to use a cast flat nose boolit, what boolit design would you choose. I assume a 180 grain (or so) gas check with a flat on the nose at moderate velocity would work, but I have no experience with cast in rifle calibers, or with a pump rifle. My only 30-06 was a Mauser 98, which I had re-barreled in 6mm Remington (26" heavy barrel) and it has a 6.5X24 Burris scope. Not a light fast handling rifle. I also have an AR-15 in 223, which I know a lot of hog hunters use, but for some reason the pump 30-06 appeals more to me. Anyone shoot hogs with cast in rifles ? Also, back in my youth I did hunt wild boars in Tennessee a couple times using 44 mag at close range. Holy cow, I just realized that was 40 some years ago!
    I've used 35 rem with cast bullets/gas checked . deffinately a hog taker.

Perma-Banned
    Wide Meplat of any kind, i am a firm believer of a wide Meplat, hit em with a sledge hammer!

Boolit Master

I
    l
    I
    k
    e

a

go
    o
    m
    e
    pl
    a
    t

swell my a
    a
    a
    Is
    the
    5 c
    l

p
    r
    je
    Tile I

Boolit Master

Wow..

I

t
    h
    e

a
    r

h
    a
    I

a

p
    r
    o
    l
    e
    /
    ??

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Hardcast,

I heartily recommend th 300 BLK!

On sale,,,,,,,,, http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...39-193765.aspx

More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Vendor Sponsor

The way I read the Op's post was he did not have a rifle now and was asking what was suitable .. he wondered about purchasing a pump in 30-06
    my suggestion was based on that he already has a AR in 223. A 300 Blkout upper is an easy jump .. cases can be made very easily from 223/5.56
    some of the same powders can be used .
    its very effective up to about 100yds in subsonic and almost no recoil (head/neck shots)
    His suggestion of a 30-06/308 will surely get the job done very well

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast