Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee Pacesetter 7.62x54r Load info

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Don't overlook "The Load" for the Mosin

(if you are lucky enough to find new powder for $14/lb.).
    "
    Haha. Try $50/lb. Thanks for the info though, that's very helpful.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thirtythirty View Post
    Haha. Try $50/lb. Thanks for the info though, that's very helpful.
    I just bought Red Dot at $25/ pound.

Banned

Promo is very similar to Red Dot and is cheaper!

Boolit Buddy

I'm in the "The Load" camp for all of my surplus rifles too. Some of these are older guns that already endured plenty of shooting and they have steel butt plates too. So, the light load thing is awesome both in terms of not stressing old guns and in terms of saving the shoulder and making them fun to shoot a lot more than I might otherwise. Also, with cast lead, the remaining rifling should last forever. The only down side is that the sight registration marks are not going to have anything to do with their prescribed yardages. In some cases you might even have to make a different front sight blade, but I've found that rare.

I also agree that there's no substitute for one (or better still, several) load data books if you want to load to higher velocities, but there are few that deal with cast lead in rifle calbiers, other than the Lyman manual. My general observation of load data that comes with dies, or the stuff on the front of some powder cans is that it's about as useful as the little "do not eat" silica packets are with a new pair of sneakers, meaning I generally just pitch it. I think the only reason Lee does that is that often it's a load for which you can use the little powder scoop they give you. Whether that is any sort of good load is probably up for debate.

I also agree that the Lee universal expander is not an expander at all but a case mouth flaring tool. Or, if overdone, it's great for ruining cases while it does nothing to expand the necks. What it is useful for is that you can replace the Lee tapered wedge inserts with some nifty neck expanding inserts you can get from NOE (Night Owl Enterprises)...a maker of great molds etc.. Swede Nelson, the proprietor, is a regular here on Castboolits. The expander inserts are designed for that same die body and are available in all sorts of combinations of diameters. By that I mean that they have a "step" turned into them so they expand the bulk of the neck at one diameter and the case mouth slightly larger, for starting a bullet. neat idea and I bough several to accommodate the "all over the place" bullet diameters needed for the surplus rifle calibers.
    Paul

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in Iowa View Post
    I just bought Red Dot at $25/ pound.
    Unfortunately I live in Canada. We are dealing with a pretty sucky economy right now and therefore all american imports are really expensive. The last time I bought Red Dot I think it was $37, and I think its more like $45 right now.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by pcarpenter View Post
    I also agree that there's no substitute for one (or better still, several) load data books if you want to load to higher velocities, but there are few that deal with cast lead in rifle calbiers, other than the Lyman manual.
    Paul
    Thanks for the info. I actually just ordered the Lyman #4 cast boo lit manual, however I realized after the fact that it will probably not have the load I'm looking for. I am going to attempt to PP the Lee .309-170FN for the 7.62x54r. I'm thinking there will probably be more loads in the 150/180gr range? Can anyone confirm this? If so A) does anyone have a load for this Boolit they would be willing to share, or B)does anyone know of any resources I could look up. I think I've read that it is safe to use load info for a slightly lighter Boolit than is listed as the pressure will be lower. Would I maybe be able to use info for a 180gr Boolit for the 170gr?

Thanks again.

Oh, and if its helpful I'm planning on using IMR 3031 as its all I have on hand right now aside from Red Dot.

Edit: Realized this thread has taken a turn into a different topic. Will post this in the PP section.

There is no paper patch-specific data for 7.62x54mmR listed in the Lyman Cast #4, but I understand that you can use data for regular boolits for paper patching.

The manual lists data for the following boolits:

Saeco (Redding) #305 [180 gr in #2 alloy]
    Lee C312-185-1R [185 gr. In 1:10 alloy]
    Lyman 314299 [200 gr. In #2 alloy]

You should be able to use data for a boolit of (fairly) similar weight and (more importantly) similar seating depth to at least figure up starting loads. I, however, don't see 3031 loads in the #4 Cast Manual.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Promo is very similar to Red Dot and is cheaper!
    I don't believe Promo is as fluffy as the original Red Dot and therefore Alliant does not recommend it for metallic cartridges.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Ken in Iowa View Post
    I don't believe Promo is as fluffy as the original Red Dot and therefore Alliant does not recommend it for metallic cartridges.
    Where did you read that?

http://www.alliantpowder.com/products/powder/promo.aspx

on there website:
    Principal Purpose: Light and standard 12 ga target loads.
    Secondary Uses: Handgun loads
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

I just looked at the data sheet sent with the dies and they list 125 and 180 grain cast data, dies are about 10 years old ?. I use a 303 Brit expander and a 31 cal M die. I recently put a scout mount scope on and have been shooting it quite regularly, it's coming around, 100yd 5 shot groups of just over MOA, shot 100 rounds first of this week.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

This isn't with Lee's data but is with their .312-185 mold that was lapped long time ago....... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91-30 185 Lee lapped nose.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	202137
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

OK I found where Lee's data supplied with their dies came from. Accurate loading manual #2, they actually list where bullets came from, Lyman 311467 for 180 lead, and Penny's 125 lead.

edit: the manual was published in 2000, so 17 years ago
    Charter Member #148

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12