PBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's a good hunting bullet for 7X57 Mauser?

Moderator Emeritus

For a top punch I size the soup can with a 1/4" x 20 bolt. I place the bolt in a drill press and run it, then file the flats off it down to .275" or so.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned
    To All,

When a "brother of the heart" saw my GCCB deer-load data for my .300 Savage he said, "Congratulations on re-inventing the .30-30WCF."

yours, tex

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    Great resource from the good old Cast Pics days is this chart that I've referenced many times in the past; http://www.castpics.net/subsite/TopPunches/Lee.html

While not complete it covers quite a bit of them. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by ballistim; 06-07-2017 at 05:57 PM. Reason: quoted wrong post in thread
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by plinky56 View Post
    I've been loading the lee soup can, about 136gr after an aluminum gas check and two coats of 45/45/10, for about 5 years now and it's very accurate and fun shooter for me. The rifle is a 1956 Husqvarna featherweight, 7x57, mauser action with I believe a 20" barrel which was imported by tradewinds in the 50's. Range pickups that were full length sized, then only neck sized afterward. I get about an inch at 25-50 yds, or less, with a lyman peep and have never shot at paper past those ranges; however, I shoot it to 200yds at an 8" swinging plate and will hit it 4 out of five, so, it's a shooter for me. I've settled on 19gr of 4759 as this proved best after an ocw test a few years ago. Since then, i've taken 4 doe, one each year. One from directly below my stand to 3 about 90 yds from my stand (at an intersecting trail) away. The deer shot at close range was a spinal hit and dropped immediately. The three longer shots all were lung shots and I had about a 1" exit hole. They went no farther that 40yds. Using coww, that's a wonderful thing. I estimate i'm about 1800+ fps. Works so well and is so mild that my grand daughters shoot it all the time. Two more deer for them for that rifle. To note, one large doe was shot in the hind quarter and it angled through the body and exited through the front shoulder and hardly any bloodshot meat was lost! The soupcan has a flat meplat, but another 130-140gr type may do just as well for you. My 2cents and hope this helps. Good luck.
    I have got to get that mold out and start working with it. This is good info.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    To All,

When a "brother of the heart" saw my GCCB deer-load data for my .300 Savage he said, "Congratulations on re-inventing the .30-30WCF."

yours, tex
    How does the saying go? "Immitation is the sincerest form of flattery". The .30-30 is still a darn good tool for the task.

Curious, what did you use in the .300 Savage? I've used the .300 on one deer with cast, but it worked well.

Banned
    richodg66,

180 grain GCCB in front of 30 grains of Varget at about 1900FPS. = It's GOOD killer on WT, feral hogs and (once 15+ years ago, a similar 180 grain bullet at about the same FPS) even an over 1600# Brahma-cross bull, that ended up as about a half-ton of hamburger meat & that was donated to a BSA summer camp.
    (The bull bellowed, took 3-4 steps & collapsed as if he had been pole-axed.)

"Heavy for caliber bullets" at moderate velocity WORK quite well & kill all out of proportion to their "paper ballistics". - May I remind everyone that a 286 grain bullet at 2200FPS, out of the 9.3x62 Mauser, is quite capable to taking Cape Buffalo & even Elephant??
    (As my old boarding-school buddy says, "You can't kill 'em deader than dead.")

Note: W.D.M. "Karamoja" Bell successfully took over 100 Elephants (and many TONS of other African game, including 18 zebra stallions in ONE afternoon, while shooting "on control" for the Game Department in British East Africa) with a .275 Rigby (which is the British designation for the 7x57mm Mauser).
    I saw his famous rifle at the NRA HQ when it was "on loan" to the NRA Museum in Washington DC.

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 06-09-2017 at 09:58 PM. Reason: add

Banned

I used the NOE clone of the 311041 in front of 28 grains of IMR 4895 and a bit of Dacron on top. Shot well enough and killed well enough, sounds like you're load is a bit more than mine, I might have to up the load a bit.

Banned
    richodg66,

My GUESS is that your load is superior to the "High Speed" .32-40 factory loaded ammo by Peters & the old .32-40 killed a LOT of game both big & small.

Fwiw, I have a slew of ".32-40 regular speed clone" reloads with 170 grain PBCB for .300 Savage that kills feral hogs to 100+ pounds just fine & ruins little or NO edible meat. = It's "enough gun" for medium game for certain & CHEAP to load, too.

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 06-12-2017 at 01:47 PM. Reason: add

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12