Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions on Rem 783.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I'd get a Ruger or the Thompson Center Compass in .243 and not worry about the Remington . I know Ruger makes a compact version but not sure about the TC . Quality will be better .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Man
    I have a 783 16 1/2” heavy barrel in 223. I like it so much I have another coming in 300 BLK. For the money I think they are a decent rifle. I have my fair share of 700s, XBolts, ABolts, Howas and Vanguards to compare it too. I think they are a decent rifle for the money and have handled my share of the entry level competitors.

Boolit Master

I’d look for a used 700, 77, 110, or 70. Steel and wood are a much better choice.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    With the mail in rebates right now it’s cheaper to buy a model 700 then a 783.
    This.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned
    There are dozens of "road tests" on the internet. My takeaway --- budget, accurate, works and available in magnum chamberings.

I'd never buy a budget rifle for my kids when a good used Tikka in only a couple 100 more.

Years ago bought my son a commercial FN Mauser (1950s). You can still find one for +-$800. These are rifles that will be treasured forever.

Banned

i have a remington 783 that i bought last fall brand new in 6.5 creedmoor that came with a heavy 24" bbl, all stuck in its tupperware house.

never shot it as is, immediately pulled off the bbl'd action and stuck it in a boyd's AT-1. i adjusted the "crossfire" trigger down to about 2.5lbs, added a EGW 20moa rail and topped that with a covenant 6-24x50 scope, coop bipod, MBM beast brake. with a careful bbl break-in and hand load testing (starline brass, h4350, hornady eld-m 140) using a magneto_sporter it was good for under 1moa at 700 yards pretty consistently. no complaints with the action or bbl.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00257.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	260347

Name:	10-4-2019.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	260342

since the new goal of this rifle is 1 mile (what?? that's CrAzY!!! ) i swapped out the bbl for a really heavy 28" MTU criterion, installed a PTG bolt face and swapped the glass to an SWFA SS 16x42.

Name:	DSC00739.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	260341

that's been my experience with this remington 783 in 6.5 creedmoor so far. i like its action and bbl and at least would recommend the model 783 #85773 in 6.5 creedmoor. now, when are ranges gonna open back up?
    Last edited by rfd; 04-14-2020 at 05:02 PM.

My trusted smith threaded my barrel and now I have a 3-slot brake on.
    Also waiting for the ranges to reopen, to sight her in.
    I envy your 28" barrel! This is how long they are supposed to be. Alas, I was specifically looking for a budget 30-06 just to have it in the herd.

Boolit Master
    Field and Stream's rifle editor (Google Gun Nuts, Field and Stream) considers the Winchester XPR and Weatherby Vanguard far superior to any of the other "bargain" rifles. I bought an XPR with an inexpensive but srvicable scope from CDNN last fall for 1/2 what my local big sporting goods store charged for just the rifle. There was a rebate from Winchester involved. The first handload I tried interlocked 5 shots at 100 meters. What was intended as a "truck gun" is being taken much more seriously.

Boolit Grand Master
    The problem I have with the Ruger American is that the bolt unlatches too easily. While brush busting, the least little pressure on the bolt handle will start moving the bolt open. I wish the safety locked the bolt.
    However, they are accurate.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Thanks guys ......I got no clue how this , first , got dredged up from the depths , and second , why there have been no notifications ......

The OP was made in 2017 by me I just happened to see my name on it scrolling through new posts .
    As an update I bought the girls a NIB Axis in 223 and a nearly NIB Stevens 200 in 223 and they have grown into both nicely since then . I just need to get my poop in a group now and get them licensed . Having relocated to the green hell where you get 2-3 tags with your license vs lottery draw for one tag Im hoping to eat a lot of deer in the coming years .

I'm glad that 3 yr didn't change the gross opinion of the rifle .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Banned

yup ruger American for me too. that comes from a guy that doesn't have a single good thing to say about ruger 77s and does like rem 700s. Ive got two americans. One I 300 bo and the other a 308 and both are exceptional shooters and both will hands down outshoot any 77 ive ever owned.
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Me too. That Remington is the ugliest one of the bottom wrung priced rifles.

Ugly as it is, that Ruger American I got a while ago is a very, very good shooter. I can't find any fault with it function wise.

Boolit Master
    I've seen Axis rifles shoot very well at our indoor range. Shooters with problems usually cause them by either setting the front of that "Tupperware" fore end on the rests (barrel's not free floated anymore) or by getting the barrel hot (the barrels have been straightened after boring and rifling) causing impact walking with each subsequent shot. One changed impact 2" more with each shot after three quick shots. The young man said okay, he'd only load three cartridges in the magazine while hunting deer.

Banned

for the very most part, all major brand bottom feeder bolt offerings will be a gamble of sorts and your requirements and expectations are all part of that equation.

Banned

another good choice. Only down side is the two I bought for my grandkids had triggers a weight lifter would stuggle with. Very accurate though. did the quicky trigger job on them and it helped but still a very crappy creepy trigger. someone told me there now using there accutrigger on the axis guns. IF so I might have to change my opinion but as it stands the ruger americans shoot as well and have a much better trigger (but still not great)
    Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    I've seen Axis rifles shoot very well at our indoor range. Shooters with problems usually cause them by either setting the front of that "Tupperware" fore end on the rests (barrel's not free floated anymore) or by getting the barrel hot (the barrels have been straightened after boring and rifling) causing impact walking with each subsequent shot. One changed impact 2" more with each shot after three quick shots. The young man said okay, he'd only load three cartridges in the magazine while hunting deer.

Banned

You get what you pay for!

Banned

to add to my first post in this thread .... i wanted a 6.5 creedmoor bolt gun where the action and perhaps bbl might become become the basis of a ELR rifle (700yds and much Much further out there). brand and plastic stock didn't much matter.

i went with the 783 because it has as good an action as they come, it has a large bolt handle, i liked the adjustable "crossfire" trigger, and it came with a 24" heavier than usual bbl which proved to be good for under 1moa at 700yds with hand loads.

if need be, most plastic stocks can be made to "work" better by first opening up the forestock to free float the bbl a lot, then stiffening the forestock with rockite. i've done that to a few ruger and savage plastic stocks with really good results.

Name:	DSC00613.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	262143

Banned

ya you do but not everyone has a grand to buy a rifle for there grandkid. I bought my entry level (savage axis/mosberg/ruger americans) if they want a better gun they can either buy it or wait till I die and fight over my safe. That said I have one American that's even mine. A ar clip fed 300 bo. I actually like the gun and might buy another in 6.5 Grendel.
    Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    You get what you pay for!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12