Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading EverythingPBcastcoRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Rem 783.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell

Opinions on Rem 783.

I'm not a big asthetics guy . I do prefer wood to plastic . I don't want to tinker toy or build another rifle .

Function and consistency only please .
    I want to get one for my daughters in 223 .
    The price is right for a call in the mud wash it in the creek rifle . The cartridge is right for the 50-100 rounds per setting diet . It looks ......... Ok ......it felt good . The medium weight bbl should be accurate . It's​ $50 under the Ruger and a $100 under the Axis at regional dealers for same class and cal.

So is it any good or is it worth $100 less than the Savage ?
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Perma-Banned
    It is a decent rifle borrowing much from the Marlin X7 (which looked far better). They appear to be accurate. Resale will probably suck. If your daughter is slight, there is a youth model Savage.
    At Bud's the Rem and Savage package guns with scopes are almost the same price.
    Were it for my gal, I'd get the Savage but in 22-250 as quick barrel changes could make it anything based on a 308 case.
    Good shooting !

Boolit Master
    I've looked one over, and I was not overly impressed, but it is what it is. Should make a decent rifle, and hard to go wrong with the 223.

If you want then to like whatever, then I suggest you let the girls choose.............

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

My daughter asked for recommendations on a rifle for my grandson. I recommended the Remington in .243 Win. I forget whether it was a 770 or a 783 model Rem. It was $279.00 at Walmart. After I looked the rifle over it was pure junk. Plastic magazine and plastic trigger guard. Like I said I forget the model number but it was Remington's promo rifle. Look it over before purchasing.

For only a $50 difference, I'd get the Ruger.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    This. The Remington 783 is probably a good rifle but to me it's ugly.

Boolit Master
    I have a Rem 783 in .308 Win and it works fine for me. it even came with a scope too. There isn't anything special about the rifle, it is more or less a budget kind of gun. But it works. Accuracy is fine. You won't feel bad if it slips off the tree, it was propped up against, hit the ground and gets scratched. Or you trekked through the underbrush and the gun got all scratched up in the process. Anyway I am quite satisfied with the purchase of it.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 05-23-2017 at 05:32 PM. Reason: typo correction

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    My daughter asked for recommendations on a rifle for my grandson. I recommended the Remington in .243 Win. I forget whether it was a 770 or a 783 model Rem. It was $279.00 at Walmart. After I looked the rifle over it was pure junk. Plastic magazine and plastic trigger guard. Like I said I forget the model number but it was Remington's promo rifle. Look it over before purchasing.
    I bought the 770 in 308 at Walmart on a whim at $249 including the scope. The scope was garbage and has since been replaced but the rifle is on heck of a cast boolit shooter at .9 MOA with cast and .6 MOA with jacketed in the first sitting with the garbage scope. The rifle has feeding problems from the magazine but since it just punches paper for me that is not an issue. What I really didn't like was the plastic bolt release for cleaning which is the problem when feeding from the magazine is attempted (pulling back the bolt hard causes the bolt to slam back against the plastic release). I believe the 783 is a step up from the Walmart promo 770 but if it still has that plastic bolt release I might reconsider. Since the 783 uses a different magazine style than the 770 or 710, the hard feeding issue might be resolved. My guess is that the barrels are much the same for all the 700 series rifles with all the cost savings elsewhere in cosmetics and actions so you 223 should be quite accurate out of the box.

For 223 nothing beats Stevens 200, but it was too good and Savage nixed it.

As to 783, its action is smooth! It is so smooth, that I could not believe that it was not a custom build when I first tried mine. The bolt feeds, closes, and extracts, like butter. I tried feeding and extracting fast and slow, and it cycled reliably, unlike my Stevens 200 that did not like slow feed.
    The barrel is 100% certainly made in Russia. I can tell this rifling cutting technology almost with my eyes closed.
    You cannot feed individual rounds through the extractor window, since it is very narrow and has sharp edges. Have to use the steel magazine with the plastic floorplate.
    The stock sucks big time: no studs but plastic ears for the QD buckles instead. Mine is 30-06 and it has a very generous, soft rubber buttplate that I appreciate.
    The scopes that this package deals came with were totally no-name garbage, with nothing but what looked like a serial number, and I immediately sold them and the cheap rings that they came in.
    The bases are cheap Weaver style, very thin and feel flimsy. Just before the COVID struck, I was about to buy single-piece, all hardened steel bases from Contessa in Italy, but this is on an indefinite hold now.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Me too. That Remington is the ugliest one of the bottom wrung priced rifles.

Ugly as it is, that Ruger American I got a while ago is a very, very good shooter. I can't find any fault with it function wise.

Boolit Master
    I bought a 783, in .308 Win, some years ago and used it for pig hunting. It always worked for me. If I got in a good aim it didn't miss either. Boyd's makes a wood stock for it. So if you don't care for the plastic stock, it is easy enough to get a wood one. Since I had to go through a lot of brush, ravines, creeks and such, I didn't want something really nice as it would get all scratched up and maybe damaged if I slipped and fell down. Mine also came with a simple 3-9x unbranded scope. So that might be the only really cheap thing on it that may be worth replacing.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 04-07-2020 at 09:20 PM. Reason: typo

Boolit Master
    I think you can't go wrong with any of the budget rifles. Yep, they have plastic. They aren't that pretty.

I got a Savage Axis a few years ago just to try shooting rifles again. Left it with the cheap scope and stock for a while. When it started shooting groups less than an inch I was hooked. Now it has a Boyds stock and Vortex Diamondback scope.

I would not hesitate to get a Remington or Ruger either. The cheap ones will be rough. No polish. Sometimes grit left in the mechanisms. Clean it well and shoot it.

Boolit Master

Find her a good used Remington Model 700 ADL(earlier one) and you will have a great rifle. I have owned them and they will shoot with anything out there costing far more money. .243 win. would be perfect for her. I bought one of them in 1962 when they first came out and it would shoot 3 shot groups under 1" with open sights at 100 yards. james

You also might want to check out the TC Compass and Winchester XPR.

Boolit Buddy
    I have never had an American,but I have had an Axis,a Compass,and currently have an XPR,and a Patriot,and just recently bought a Howa 1500 mini action,and of all mentioned that I have owned,or now own the Howa is hands down the best followed by the XPR..You can pick up the 1500 for just a little over $300 in 223,or at least I did.I paid $329 for mine,and got a cheap Turkish shotgun for $40 because Bridgeport was offering them for that with the purchase of any new gun over $300..They also come in 6.5 Grendel,and 7.62x39,but they did not have any of them.The only big complaint I have with the rifle is that the mag release is a loosely sprung paddle right in front of the mag well, and I have accidentally kicked the mag out a time,or two when shooting from a bag.The stiff stock, great trigger,and super short action make up some for the poor design of the mag release.Like I stated,I have never owned an American,but they would really have their work cut out for them to best the 1500 for value.I took a pictures to show the mag release,and how short the action is,and evidently they also come e in 222,and 204Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200409_124723_7.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	260015 sorry about the picture being turned sideways,pics from my tablet always do that..The shell in the pic is a 223 for scale.
    Last edited by Elroy; 04-09-2020 at 01:00 PM.

Banned

Junk.......you get what you pay for!

USMC 77, USRA 79

one man's junk is another's treasure... i like my junk..
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    With the mail in rebates right now it’s cheaper to buy a model 700 then a 783.

If you can get her a ladies specific rifle, it will feel and be much nicer for her to shoot, the female body geometry is different than ours. ie they have breasts, longer necks and, shorter arms. I got my partner to order a savage ladies hunter, she loved it. it fit much better than any guns I had or she tried. As it’s had less drop at heal, less drop at Comb and, shorter Length of pull. Here it is alongside my 788 (788 top, savage ladies hunter bottom)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	260032

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast