WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
PBcastcoInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Re use a gas check?

Boolit Mold

Re use a gas check?

I popped the gas checks off of some undersized boolits and wondered whether to pitch 'em or can I reuse them? I don't have any boolits poured right now to try a recap.

Assuming you have sized the boolits with the checks installed, you would have to expand them again, and it ain't worth the effort, toss em.
    Paul G

I am Retired, I was tired yesterday and I am tired today!!!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by bojac View Post
    I popped the gas checks off of some undersized boolits and wondered whether to pitch 'em or can I reuse them? I don't have any boolits poured right now to try a recap.
    Bojac,
    Welcome to the forum.

You may be able to re-use the GC...it depends on the details. Give it a try, see if they stay on the boolit, measure them after they are sized as a double check.

One thing to keep in mind. One reason we use a GC is for a perfect base. A perfect base will give better/consistant accuracy. So with that said, if the GC got damaged when they were pulled...and if they don't look perfect when re-installed, that is when you know you have wasted your time.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Mold
    With a small pair of side cutters, I popped them off like a bottlecap. No damage at all. That's why I was wondering if I could reuse them. I had a chance to drop a hundred or so boolits this afternoon. I tried fitting a couple and they worked. But then I realized I had to take the GCs back off because they were sized .309, and the boolits I poured today are .311s. So I think I'll save the GCs. Yep. I took them off undersized boolits. Random average of 5 was .3074. 200 of them.
    Newbie me. I didn't mike any after I got started. They went into the pot today. But I learned flux and stir the pot often and keep the mould hot. Plus I threw in about 8" of 50/50 solid solder. I got nice sharp edged bases on the .311s.

Chuck em, why even take a risk of one falling off and staying in the barrel. Things are cheaper than dirt, literally.

I would say the only way to reuse them , would be to apply them to bullets that then get sized smaller than the bullets they were previously on.

Boolit Mold
    I better chuck them. Better safe than sorry.