Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Buchanan Precision Machine Hand Press

Boolit Grand Master

Buchanan Precision Machine Hand Press

To make a long story short, most of my reloading gear is packed up. I kept out a few select pieces with the intention of loading but haven't touched it in months due to life.

Today marks the 4 year anniversary of my fathers passing. To honor him, I wanted to reload some and touch off a few rounds at the range. My main range is closed on mondays, the hunting club is muddy and overgrown at the shooting area and so it looks like I'll be taking to my local indoor range this afternoon time permitting.

Ive fiddled around with the BPM hand press in the past, but nothing significant; but last night I loaded up 100 44 Mag cartridges. 50 with 6 grains of trail boss and 50 with 18 grains 2400. This was using Keith 245gr LSWC that weight in at an even 250gr for me sized and PC with HF red.

The press allowed me to do the sizing, belling and crimping from the comfort of my couch as the tv played in the background. More effort than a traditional press, but not tiresome or troubling to get it done. I just sat back and enjoyed my time since the kids were asleep and I hadn't had wind down time in too long. Powder was measured on a hornady auto dispenser and checked on my trusty RCBS mechanical scale.

The press itself is quite imoressive. Very compact with folding wings. Plenty of leverage for average cartridges but I don't know how it would fare sizing large Magnum cases. To be fair, this press shines as a compact hand press to assemble cartridges at the shooting bench, not to be used as a main press. Sizing duties should be reserved for a RC or similar. The press itself is very smooth and shows no runout. It has 2 guide rods like a coax press. Manipulation smooth and plenty of leverage. I am quite impressed and thankful I picked this up when I did.

Looking forward to using this press in the future more.

I've used mine for sizing 243, 308, 300 win mag, 45-70 no issues - when in development I sent Randy cases and sizing die for my 375 Weatherby Mag and he had no issues. What lube are you using?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

Good to know.

Carbide sizing dies for my 44 Mag. No lube.

I also keep trying to post a photo but keep getting errors

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6946.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	196076

Boolit Master
    Hi Doc.Just a little fyi.Try just a hint of lube with those carbide dies.Might surprise ya with the ease of operation vs no lube.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

I lube about every 10th case with carbide dies - especially new or really clean cases - they seem to stick more than the unpolished ones.
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    I lube about every 10th case with carbide dies - especially new or really clean cases - they seem to stick more than the unpolished ones.
    I know. It was packed up and I couldn't find it

Boolit Master
    I use a case lube when using the BPM. It isn't required since the press has more than enough leverage to size the cases, but it sho' does make life easier. My BPM press has become my 2nd most used press behind my Dillon.

Perma-Banned
    These things are neat and look like they are built to last? If i did more centerfire range target work i could see this being a really cool tool! As little as i would use it i can't justify the 200 bucks. Anyone had problems with one of these? Anyone loaded 7 Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag type stuff with one of these?

Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    These things are neat and look like they are built to last? If i did more centerfire range target work i could see this being a really cool tool! As little as i would use it i can't justify the 200 bucks. Anyone had problems with one of these? Anyone loaded 7 Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag type stuff with one of these?
    No problems with mine, and yes it will load 300 Win Mag stuff just fine.
    je suis charlie

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    No problems with mine, and yes it will load 300 Win Mag stuff just fine.
    I seen one of these in the S&S section back in the winter, it definitely interested me. Knowing i could do bigger stuff like 7Mag definitely has my attention. Thanks Artful

54 bore. Goto www.buchananprecisionmachine.com I'll fix you right up. You won't regret it.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    I know. It was packed up and I couldn't find it
    Have you experimented with any other lube? Just a touch of olive oil will do it, if you use the good peanut butter that has the oil separate that works well too. In desperation even water will work, but then you have to dry out your die!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Yes,,, the idea of using case lube for sizing pistol rounds with Carbide dies is definitely a winner. I have been doing this for years, and it just makes everything much easier.

A .44 case slides into a carbide almost effortlessly with some Dillon Case lube on it. I use that case lube almost exclusively as it migrates around the cases well and covers them without over doing it and ending up with dents on the bottleneck cases when you over do the lube.

I also use that lube to lubricate various things in my shop like my press rams, and it also doubles as a rust preventative.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

Picked up some Hornady case lube and will give it a try on some 45/70 cases tonight. It's reminiscent of imperial sizing wax.

three manufacturers over the last 30 years have made copies of this press.....they all smash your fingers exactly the same and you cant hold a bullet with one hand in the die and use 2 more hands to seat it...Been there and done that................

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by winchester 71 View Post
    three manufacturers over the last 30 years have made copies of this press.....they all smash your fingers exactly the same and you cant hold a bullet with one hand in the die and use 2 more hands to seat it...Been there and done that................
    Why are you holding a bullet in the die? I expand the case and place it in it. My two hands are free to work the press. As far as finger smashing there is no way around it if you want maximum leverage. I haven't smashed my fingers yet so I must be doing something right.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Why are you holding a bullet in the die? I expand the case and place it in it. My two hands are free to work the press. As far as finger smashing there is no way around it if you want maximum leverage. I haven't smashed my fingers yet so I must be doing something right.
    No problem with mine. The levers are plenty high to not smash fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by winchester 71 View Post
    NO, this press is an improvement over earlier versions of a Decker, HDS W press - NOT a copy of...

here's a HDS compac press

vs
    Buchanan

Notice the differences?

je suis charlie

Boolit Grand Master
    I have only used mine at the range to load previously sized and primed shells , mostly .308's, in load development, but I have no doubt that it would easily handle any loading I have to do. And it seems likely it will be doing that long after I am gone.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.