Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: What do I have?

Boolit Mold

What do I have?

I bought a lot of molds recently at an auction and most of them are stamped with the maker as you would expect. However, some were not and it sure would be handy to know what I have so that I can properly describe them when I go to sell them. Sorry if that upsets some folks but I have to pay the bills. If you've read this far then perhaps you would be interested in helping me ID what I have.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Molds-1.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	196042Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Molds-2.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	196043

The gang molds don't have anything stamped on them at all. The few that look like brass are not, they are actually anodized aluminum and made to look like brass. The black one is also anodized aluminum. The three smaller, single cavity molds have stampings- 530J J0149 RB, 54M 0031, and 535J 0022 respectively.

I am not opposed to selling these here but again, it helps to know what they are.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Regards,
    Eric

The bottom Center is a REAL bullet for black powder, I think. Probably 54 caliber.

Could the black one be a .535 round ball?

With the upper one being a .530 round ball?

Or am I just stating the obvious?

Boolit Master
    I think the two brass looking ones are Thompson Center molds. They look just like the ones I have. they probably have some numbers on them, but from what I understand, they are reference numbers, to keep the mold halves together. the RB may have a cal. designation.

Boolit Grand Master

Is it Tom at Accurate that will cut different cavities in a block? I would think that limits the possibilities, anyway.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Mold
    Any ideas as to who makes the multi-cavity molds in the picture?

Moderator Emeritus

Lyman used to put in a mold whatever you wanted. I think the noses on some might be SKS but not really sure. Neither the wc nor the rf resemble anything I have seen in an old LY catalog. Sprue plates look non standard as well.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Welcome to the forums--You'll need 30 posts here, I believe, before you couls offer them here on the Swappin/Sellin forum.

Here's what I suggest:
    You could fire them up and cast with them then measure the castings. Not too much trouble to do really that way you'd know for sure what you have.

Good luck!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by CHeatermk3 View Post
    Welcome to the forums--You'll need 30 posts here, I believe, before you couls offer them here on the Swappin/Sellin forum.

Here's what I suggest:
    You could fire them up and cast with them then measure the castings. Not too much trouble to do really that way you'd know for sure what you have.

Good luck!
    Agreed, but I was mostly curious as to who made the molds. I am not a caster (yet) but I have cast a few before to get a weight for interested parties. As you know, sometimes the numbered molds have two different weight bullets they throw and someone is usually looking for one over the other, or already has the one and not the other. Thanks for the input, every little bit helps.

Regards,
    Eric

Boolit Master

All the numbered molds I've seen that came in two weights will have the LIGHTER weight stamped. If no weight is stamped then it's the heavier weight.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.