RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Norinco 320 (Uzi clone) shoots hard left

Boolit Buddy

Norinco 320 (Uzi clone) shoots hard left

A few years ago I was given a Norinco 320 as payment for services rendered doing some house renovation work.

I finally got around to doing some serious playing around with it this weekend. As always, it eats most any 9mm ammo with great aplomb and groups like nobody's business.

Casual, close range plinking is great; however, trying to get some distance out of it I discovered that it was a couple inches to the left at 25 yards. I assumed it was no big deal and made a windage adjustment on the rear sight and tried again. When it was all said and done, I'm almost out of travel to the right on the rear sight.

Where should I start looking to begin my attempt to get windage corrected so the rear sight isn't all the way over?

I'm planning on starting out with putting the barrel between centers on the lathe to check it out. Eyeballing down the bore in good light doesn't reveal any obvious bend.

I'm also not discounting a rear sight leaf that's not in spec.

If there's no wind age adjustment on the front sight, I would superglue a shim on the left side of the front sight, smoke it with a candle or match, and try again. It will be wider but that won't matter for testing. This is assuming the rear sight is an aperture; I haven't held an Uzi since the early 80's so memory might not serve.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Grand Master

If the front sight is pinned in place it make take some real work to reset the front sight as it will need to be unpinned and reset then the pin recut and re pinned. A taper pin can be substituted for a roll pin if needed. The hard part is holding the housing in the new alighnment when re cutting the pin hole. If its splined or a part of the barrel then reworking the blade may be needed. On single actions moving left can be done a small amount by torquing barrel a little tighter or reworking shoulder to gain a little more on the front sight. Adding a shim to the left side of the blade will give an idea as mentioned above. Also error X sight radious / distance in inches will give a close idea how much to move sight.

Vendor Sponsor

Look at the barrel's crown. If it is eccentric that will cause it to shoot wonky.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

320 appears to be a UZI Model B clone

The front site for an UZI SMG or Type A is adjustable for both windage
    and elevation but I don't know if you can install it easily into your 320

https://www.uzitalk.com/reference/pages/norinco.htm
    Last edited by Artful; 06-01-2017 at 10:16 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Way to go Artful. Looks like a b- type could be rebuilt eccentric to mimic the a-type.

Boolit Man
    My suggestion would be to use a laser bore sighter and see how far everything is off and go from there. I'm not a fan of laser boresighters for much else but when you have a significant issue like this one for example, they can be extremely helpful in figuring out what the issues are.

On ebay they are under $4 if ordered from overseas and under $6 if you'd rather order it from the US and get it a month earlier.

I've never had great results when using these things to "check" the zero on an existing scope, but they are certainly handy when troubleshooting why the sights aren't aligned with the bullet path.

Boolit Buddy
    Giving stuff a better looking over during the day instead of a post second shift examination, I think I have a good place to start.

The front sight looks like the post might be bent a little and the aperture holes in the rear sight might be in there a little wonky. I'm thinking I might get some real IMI sight parts and see how that goes. I've got the hunch that Israelium might be the better material for the application than Chinesium.

Boolit Buddy
    +1 on what DougGuy said. I bought an sks once that had been recrownwd by the importer . Shot about a foot to the left at 15yds .

Boolit Buddy
    I filed one side of my CETME's front side post to get it shooting to point of aim after I had run out of adjustment. It was a little tedious, but it worked great!
    My "Swappin & Sellin" feedback thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=btreanor