Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Percussion revolver cylinder loaders

Boolit Master

Percussion revolver cylinder loaders

In the universe of revolver cylinder loaders, there is one expensive loader unanimously believed to be excellent and indestructible. Is there any cylinder loader having less than a $50.00 street price that is very good and durable? If there is such a loader, please identify it.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

There are several option besides a commercially made press. If you have a drill press you can use it with the correct size ram in the chuck. A bullet starter for a rifle with a mallet also works, and is great for in the field. The one I have had for years is a commercial loader, not sure if they are available but it was IIRC around 20 bucks.

Boolit Master

I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for but there is a loader advertised in Muzzle Blasts that is 29.95 IIRC. It loads all 6 chambers at the same time for consistency on targets.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    Premade paper cartridge is the best choice I have found.

Fly

Boolit Master
    If its a colt - make yorself a loading stand - base is 4" x 8" x 3/8th flat steel - upright stem is 1/2inch round X 8inch high with a u shaped piece of the same welded at the top to support the barrel at other end of the flat base you weld a curved piece of 1/2 inch to take the heel of the grip - i put a piece of rubber there (pop rivet in) to protect the brass -----I never could see the sense in dismantling a colt every time to load it ? figure its all eatra wear and tear on the wedge and all. Remys different - pull cylinder pin - flip it out Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loading stand.jpg 
Views:	1237 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	196145

Boolit Master
    while we at it - just in case anyone is curious - its a 1860 Army with cutout for shoulder stock - Euroarms of America 1985 - done some work (a LOT but still a good shooter) and the gears on underside of the barrel for the creeping lever stripped out - fixing that properly was beyond me so I did a conversion - built a remington style linked loading plunger to replace the original - so there is a pivot pin drilled through just past the end of the arbour tunnel - and a linkage lever built - the geometry of these is different to the 1851 and I could not get the '51 arrangement with that slotted sliding hole / pin to work --- in the US you probably wouldnt bother just walk into Cabelas and hand over three hundred for a new one - down here - the BS we gotta go to with import and registration is unbelieveable plus double the price - so it breaks - we fix it - till it wont shoot anymore! I guess go back to my last post maybe this IS a reason to dismantle to load - the gears on the barrel underside stripped out and the lever gears were fine - other way round woulda been an easy fixClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1860 army.jpeg 
Views:	1237 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	196148 - repair piece needs blueing - we also fitted washers to the end of the arbour on this one to correct the cylinder gap - and I did a hand spring conversion (to Ruger style plunger) yesterday after that broke. Still having problems with this one losing a cap sometimes where the cutout for the stock is - so thinking of some modified version of the manhattan conversion to stop that.

joe
    Last edited by indian joe; 05-23-2017 at 08:27 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Not for sale unfortunately but here's a ball press and quick loader I built for my 58 Rem.

Thumbs up

Nicely done, 1066!

Now that's a high tec lookin cylinder loadin machine. You should put them up on the market for sale. Being adjustable a person could load any C&B cylinder

Boolit Master

Those are winners 1066.

Great use of imagination!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you. The press will fit any cylinder (or all that I've tried) The brass ram tip is a screw fit and changed depending on calibre, the cylinder arbor is changeable, height and cylinder diameter are changeable and it has compound linkage.

The powder chargers work well, six measured charges in a couple of seconds and another for your chosen filler if you feel the need. I've never timed a reload but it sure is easy.

Boolit Grand Master

1066, if you don't mind doing so send the plans to Randy Buchannan and see what it would cost for him to put it into production?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Naphtali,

I don't think you will find a decent loader for the $50 limit you set.
    The Tower of Power sells for $129, Powder Inc. has two models $88.45 & $108.45.
    The model which 1066 built uses a DeStaCo Toggle which sells for $22.19 plus $10.28 shipping.
    My guess is you'll probably have to build one yourself, attached is a set of plans I found somewhere.
    There are many homebuilt loaders shown on the 1858 Remington Forum including the one I built.
    .Cylinder Loading Stand-pdf.pdf
    Good luck with your quest, AntiqueSledMan

Boolit Mold
    $15.00 plus scrap lying around Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	197034

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AntiqueSledMan View Post
    Naphtali,

I don't think you will find a decent loader for the $50 limit you set.
    The Tower of Power sells for $129, Powder Inc. has two models $88.45 & $108.45. . . .
    I've reached the same conclusion. Powder, Inc.'s single-caliber version is the way I'll go.

Reviews and anecdotal information of inexpensive cylinder loaders has strong consensus that these devices are flimsily made and do not last.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson