Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Webley V I 455 loads needed! HELP needed!

Boolit Buddy

Webley V I 455 loads needed! HELP needed!

Hi Fellows,

I'm finally getting around to casting bullets for my Webley VI. I bought the 260 grain mold 4 cavity hollow base mold, when we had a group buy years ago!
    Sadly, I can't locate the load info, I had found & saved in the past.

I'm guessing that 3.8 grains of Unique will be a safe start. I'm just looking to punch some paper & have it shoot to the sights. The revolver is in nice shape & & don't want to bend or break a nice old revolver.

Thanks for any help,
    broom

Boolit Buddy
    What are you using for cases? Between my American, Canadian, and Italian brass i have 3 different lengths of case. I load each a little different to keep pressure the same.

Boolit Grand Master

You may find some interesting information in these 2 threads on the CBA forum;

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum/thread/ed-harris-cast-45-cal-cast-bullets-455-webley/
    http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum/thread/ed-harris-cast-45-cal-cast-bullets-455-webley/

There are several threads regarding tests in the Webley, the Schofield and the 45 Colt in the "Handgun" sub forum.

Larry Gibson

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    While Unique is often recommended, in my experience it not ignite uniformly or burn completely in the .455 and it gives erratic velocity with excess unburned powder. With the 260-265-grain HB Mk2 bullet I would suggest 3.5 grains of Bullseye in the longer 0.87" Mk1 case and reduce that charge a full 10% for the shorter 0.76" Mk2 case, loading 3.0-0.1 grains of Bullseye for 600 fps, depending upon cylinder gap. I would also check cylinder throat diameter because there is a great deal of variation in these old guns. Accuracy improved wonderfully in my MkVI revolver after DougGuy uniformed and honed the throats to uniform size, removing old tool marks and pitting in the process.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    I went down and got my load data. PM sent.

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Fellows,

I read your PM reply 455 Webley thanks! Thanks to all the other posters for any & all info, it is welcome!
    NOTE! I'm using standard 45 auto rim case that are a bit longer then the original Webley cases

I'm off to read the information mentioned in Larry G's post. now! >>>Thanks Sir!<<<

Be well & safe,
    broom
    Last edited by broomhandle; 05-21-2017 at 11:57 PM.