WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Elk grips for blackhawk

Elk grips for blackhawk

Anyone have a suggestion on where to look for grips in elk for a blackhawk?

Anyone have experience with this guy? Price is nice. http://www.sackpeterson.com/ I can do some fitting and polishing if the fit aint just right.

Anyone have other suggestions?

Ive had eagle grips in buffalo horn before.

Banned

ive had two sets of elk stags. They are very porous and spongy. Pulled the grip screw through both of them eventually. Look nice though and are MUCH cheaper then real stag

Boolit Buddy
    Patrick Grashorn makes quality elk stag grips.

http://www.gunblast.com/Grashorn.htm
    Pistolero49

NRA Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer * GSSF Member
    Good Sam Club Life Member
    Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, Inc.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a set on a 44 Special Flattop made by Sack Petersen. They are durable and fit fine but mis-matched badly and not the bark amount that I asked for. Grashorn's grips look more matched to me.

Boolit Master

Every once in a while Sack Peterson offers grips on ebay. You can see what you are getting, don't have to wait and they are usually cheaper than making an order though his site.

I got a set for my 44 Special Flattop and am very happy with them.

Boolit Master
    As noted,,, elk grips can be "softer" than others.
    A simple trick to prevent screws from pulling through.
    Go to a hardware store,,, buy a few plastic "sleeves" 1/2" long & install one in the middle of the grips,,, with the screw shaft going through the center. I put them in ALL my grips. And,, if for some reason the g/f is slightly less than 1/2" thick,, it's easy to file or grind off a few thousands of the plastic spacer to allow the grips to snug up & not put stress on the grips.

Banned

Ive got a few sets and found that as long as you ask for very little to no bark youll get a durable set of grips. Seems that the ones with the most bark are the ones that are the softest and prone to grip screw problems. I actualy like no bark at all. Like that they have a creamy brown finish that looks kind of like aged ivory

Lloyd, That is useful information for sure. I was wanting a fair amount of bark as I both prefer the way it looks, and want some extra grip.

How soft are we talking? Is it bout like wood grips, or softer? So does the grip screw pulls through, like a drywall screw sinking in a soft 2x4? Or does the screw break the back side of the grips out?

What about Sambar stag instead of elk? As ya'll might tell... I dont know much about stag grips.

Thanks for the help

~Bazoo

I have two sets from Sack Peterson. I provided the antlers and he made one set wide with lots of bark and a slimmer set with 1/4 bark. They are beautiful and I 've found I prefer the slim ones.
    Best, Thomas.

Banned

one set pulled the grip screw insert right through the grip and took a chunk out of the back. The other just pulled the insert through. Sambar stag is MUCH harder. But its also MUCH more expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Lloyd, That is useful information for sure. I was wanting a fair amount of bark as I both prefer the way it looks, and want some extra grip.

How soft are we talking? Is it bout like wood grips, or softer? So does the grip screw pulls through, like a drywall screw sinking in a soft 2x4? Or does the screw break the back side of the grips out?

What about Sambar stag instead of elk? As ya'll might tell... I dont know much about stag grips.

Thanks for the help

~Bazoo

Boolit Master
    Like I mentioned,,, use nylon spacers to prevent grip screw pull through.

How do elk grips hold up in other ways? I think it could remedy the pull through problems.

I had some wood grips on an old single six that the grip escutcheons pulled through. What I did, was from the back side, inlay a thin piece of metal over where the wood had splintered out , and install the escutcheons both with JB weld from the front, Worked really well. Not the ideal... But it will save.. what... 2 hundred bucks?

Vendor Sponsor

Sack is currently making merino ram's horn grips which are beautiful! They have a near translucent quality about them that gets your attention and they really don't lack at all not having bark. Lots of character!

These are still for sale as of this posting: http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/152558768790

Much prettier than elk and 1/3 the price of sambar stag..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I want lots of bark. But those are pretty Doug.

Vendor Sponsor

A lot of elk bark is just plain looking in a way. It's paper thin and most of it doesn't have any of the popcorn or the 3-d that sambar has. I have made elk grips for my Rugers and they are nice but lacking a certain bit of character. It's hard to put to words that feeling of second guessing before clicking the BIN on them.

Call Sack on the phone man, he will make you what you want. You may have to wait and let him get in some really choice material if you are wanting something real specific, but the ones I saw that were the closest thing I have seen to real stag went for an amazing $205 which is a STEAL for what the buyer got! 3-D and popcorn!

Attachment 196157
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Man
    I personally do not care for Elk and much prefer Sambar. Sambar is harder to get and may be a bit more price wise, but you will never regret getting them. These are so comfortable because of the thickness. I am shooting 18.5 grs of 2400 in this .45 Colt and it is a pleasure to use. Dave Clements is going to put a new front sight on it for me.

Last edited by Sakoluvr; 05-24-2017 at 09:57 AM.

Boolit Master
    That is a very nice piece Sakoluvr......very nice indeed.

I like the thickness and profile or the original ruger grip panels, will elk provide enough to match this pretty close?

That is real nice sakoluvr.

Boolit Man
    I think that is something to ask the maker. You can only go so "thin" depending on the bark configuration and how deep it is.

Elk panels do not have deep or gnarly bark so they can come close to duplicating factory panels dimension wise.

Thanks sako, and everyone.