Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Barrel Info Requested???

Boolit Master

Barrel Info Requested???

Here's the scoop so bear with me please. Last month during our gun club "table top" sale I bought a walnut stock from a friend on mine for $4 and it had been about 50% carved. It appeared to be for a bench rest gun but the seller didn't know for sure? So any ways I was walking out and one of our Schuetzen guys says " hey I have a barrel that will work. It is 45 caliber fast twist, has a false muzzle, hooked breech and a Pope style bullet started". So I went to look at it and it had been sitting wrapped in oil paper for about 10 or 12 years he said. He wanted $300 for it so I said okay and bought it. I originally thought it was stainless as there was no rust on the flats, 1 1/8 across so it is a heavy barrel. Being that old it made sense I proceeded to flat file the flats as they were virgin metal and the filing looked like non stainless to me? I tried some Ox-pho blue in a couple places and it colored right up? So I cleaned the surfaces well with degreaser and then did a three coat finish of the Ox-pho and it came out really great, very dark blue.

A few days a go before doing this I decided to slug the barrel before I put the breech plug in and the bore is 0.446 with very wide grooves (8) only 0.003 deep. I also decided to try to get a twist rate and it came out weird the first time so the next time I did a twist for the first 8 inches at the muzzle and got 1 in 16 and then at the breech I got 1 in 18?! Soooo it looks like a gain twist barrel but there are no markings any where and the false muzzle and started look like Pope items but the original owner who got it 18 or 19 years ago doesn't remember, thought it could be a Ron Smith but wasn't sure? So does anyone have an idea who can have made this, so 20 years ago give or take aa little and it could be way older than that I guess? Thanks

Perm-Banned
    rod smith is one of the best barrel makers of this time. i have a gain twist 45/70 barrel of his and the bore looks like a parabolic mirror inside. if you have a rod smith barrel, you got it at a very good price, and it is the best of the best.

Boolit Master
    That is what we were thinking but there are no markings on the barrel, false muzzle or bullet starter? Did he sell them w/o his name and caliber on the barrel?

Perm-Banned
    call him at 403 631 2405 and tell him what you have. he likes to talk and will be able to tell you if it is his barrel or not. bet it is and it should be a shooter.